Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times

Advertisements

no, I didn't mean to come off as snarky to you. I'm sorry. I see your point about the bad batch.
Sorry you're not having a good day .
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Sorry, hope I did not sound like an uncaring jerk; you know by now that I'm not.

Listing what perfume it was might be helpful in case there was something wrong with the actual batch; or so we can judge ourselves whether it's one of the more known horrible ones.

For that many people to be affected, I do wonder what it was.

I hope this post reads as I'm trying to convey.
Having a bad pain day, should probably not post to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
no, I didn't mean to come off as snarky to you. I'm sorry. I see your point about the bad batch.
Sorry you're not having a good day .
Hugs
Thanks DW.

I know that the typed words don't have the sound of someone's voice saying it, wanted to make sure I wasn't coming across as unsympathetic to people with allergies. I'm thankful that most things do not bother me.. well should I say, have not; but as I am getting older some things are.

I know how I feel when I smell say a vanilla candle, or some of the strong fruit/flower ones. Heck, I'm getting to the point where the candle isle is starting to get to me.. in some stores just walking by it (depends on time of year) brings tears to my eyes.

My daughter likes to spray in the car on the way to school, which gags me. The scent over all doesn't bother me but with no window open, it's horrible. Normally the scents she wears are fine, it's the initial spray that gets me. lol

I love honeysuckle. I so miss my old original version from the late 70's.
It was so light and pretty; people that normally had scent allergies always said how good it smelled and how they wished the people wearing something like Charlie! would wear what I did.

I actually wonder if the people that make perfume these days actually smell it before putting their name on it. It's like some celebs are so thrilled to have a scent named after them that they forget to actually smell it.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
I am VERY allergic to some form of old Adidas cologne they made back in the 80s. I remember my prom date bathed in it, and I was sick for a week. I couldn't breathe, my throat was so sore it was horrible. I just thought I was sick.

After we continued seeing each other, I noticed every time he work that stuff, I would start having those symptoms, so I put 2 and 2 together.

I bought him something else so I wouldnt be allergic to him.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
wanna bet?

hope you never,ever experience the torture some of us go through with our perfume sensitivity
I'd take that bet. No way in he!! 35 (150 in one report) would become so ill as to need to go to the hospital because someone sprayed perfume. One person I can see, not an entire building.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'd take that bet. No way in he!! 35 (150 in one report) would become so ill as to need to go to the hospital because someone sprayed perfume. One person I can see, not an entire building.
Your really under the impression that the ENTIRE builing of a Bank of America call center was 150 people? I seriously doubt it.

AND I can tell you my asthma and respiratory problems were MUCH worse when I worked in an environment just like that.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Wow, this is such a shame. I'd like to find out what perfume this was, although I'm not sure if that makes any difference. Personally, I don't just wear perfume; I guess you could call them my hobby, although I probably wouldn't use that word. It's much more than that; more like my passion. I spend hours researching different aspects of perfumes, vintage and current. I read and participate in blogs pertaining to them. I basically revel in my "scent" sense. It's so sad that something that is seemingly such an innocent, earnest interest could cause so much displeasure to others. Since I quit EVERYTHING unhealthy for me, fragrance is my one sensual pleasure, a gift I treasure, that has developed out of the ashes of all those negative behaviors left in the dust. But, I certainly will not be spritzing in any closed public areas. I hope those affected are recuperating comfortably, and that they disclose the name of the suspect perfume.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Unhappy Worst Fragrances. Julian Rouas Paris. Hidden Health Risks!!

I got violently ill once off Julian Rouas Paris perfume. This is the worst perfume company around. Julian Rouas Paris fragrances make people sick! They come with a laundry list of side effects. Julian Rouas Paris' s toxic chemical-laden fragrances are known to trigger crippling headaches, skin rash, heart palpitation, sneezing frenzy and eye irritation. Unless you work in a chemical factory, Julian Rouas Paris perfumes will make you cringe! They have a foul-urine smell, ironically, they seem to be the perfumes of choice to disguise bathrooms odors. Julian Rouas Paris' s synthetic fragrances are (dangerous) garbage; they should be banned! A new study has shown their high level of toxic chemicals to exceed the EPA' s safety guideline: Benzyl acetate, Phthalates, Benzaldehyde, Methylene Chloride (carcinogenic banned by the FDA in 1988! No enforcement possible due to trade secret laws protecting unscrupulous companies like Julian Rouas Paris). These known toxics are capable of causing cancer, central nervous system disorders, birth defects, lung and liver toxicity, birth defects, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson' s Disease, Alzheimer' s Disease. Predictably, Julian Rouas was thrown out of several department stores due to health hazards arising from his toxic perfumes. It is interesting to note that on his website and online advertising, self-proclaimed Perfume Designer Julian Rouas, touts his perfumes as being "all natural", with no water, nor alcohol; no additives, nor chemicals. The lying, deceit, obscene lack of accountability of Julian Rouas is shocking and unsettling! Stay away from this despicable lowlife lying con man! Htth://208.86.2.42/blog.php?b=8327

Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I suspect that there's a difference between cheap perfume and expensive perfume. Expensive perfumes use real ingredients, but cheap ones use artificial petroleum based ones and those I think are the ones that make people sick. I can't stand the smell of the cheap stuff--it gives me much the same feeling I have when I walk thru the detergent aisle of the grocery store.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Élan vital View Post
34 hospitalized after co-worker sprays perfume - Weird news- msnbc.com

as I've been saying for years...........perfume can and does make people sick.
Ironic that the users use it to get laid.

Jitterbug Perfume - a must read for horn dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitterbug_Perfume

Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
I became allergic to perfumes and other artificial scents when I hit middle age. It has gotten worse and worse as I've aged. Perfumes give me an immediate sinus headache. If it's really bad my ears will also block up. I can't even have scented candles or incense in my house, can't use those scented cleaning wipes, can't use dryer sheets, use unscented detergents, unscented deodorants and lotions and shampoos and soaps. I have to stay well away from the Bath and Body shops and the candle shops in malls. It's a PITA.

I don't take daily allergy pills. Tried it before but it didn't help. I just carry around Sinutab everywhere I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness