Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:38 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my 2 biggest issues with them is (1) they charge toooooo much,seeing as how they are NOT doctors. At least the one I saw did. She charged more than it ended up costing me to see a Primary Care Physician.
and (2) why get established with one knowing they can't perform surgical procedures? I mean, can they even stitch you up should you need it?
Yes, we can suture....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
What are your views on nurse practicioners and physician assistants taking over the role of primary care physicians since there is a shortage of them in the U.S. ?? Why become a PCP and make 130k a year when you can specialize and make 300K a year ?
I think its a great way to make primary care a lot more affordable (esp since gov't funded health insurance is paying some of the reimbursements).

Personally, I have no problem seeing a mid-level practitioner. The only problem I ever had was when my kids were seeing the military PA in the peds office and I did not know she was a PA (thought she was a MD), so I was baffled when she had to consult with the MD for a couple of things she was unsure of. I should have caught on when they kept referring to her as Col "so and so" as opposed to Dr. "so and so". Once I figured out she was not a MD, I understood the behavior and it was not a problem.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I see nurse practitioners for primary care, and I love it. The NPs are fabulous, and pay way more attention to me and my concerns than any doctor ever has. The practice also has on site behavioral health and dental care. What's not to like?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I see nurse practitioners for primary care, and I love it. The NPs are fabulous, and pay way more attention to me and my concerns than any doctor ever has. The practice also has on site behavioral health and dental care. What's not to like?
what was not to like about the one I saw while living in Alaska was the cost of an office visit. $180.00 a visit!!!
I paid $50.00 to see my neurologist in another state.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It looks like wal-mart and other stores are getting with hospitals to do such clinics but of course its limited what they can do.The latest one here is in a state{HEB) food store chain and run buy a local hospital. Its a flat 65.00 chrage for a visit that include lab work.I have gone there but those that have for minor things say it quicker convenient for monor things.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
wasn't there an article in CNN recently about this ?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I see the NP all the time and I love them.. well, all but one I saw. All (but that one) treated me like a old friend and never made me feel like they HAD to hurry up and get the the next patient.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Personally I prefer a NP for both myself and my kids. The best care my kids ever got was from an NP, she had more time to discuss issues with me and didn't come off as to busy for us. I used an NP several years ago and she is better than my doctor now is.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:42 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
What are your views on nurse practicioners and physician assistants taking over the role of primary care physicians since there is a shortage of them in the U.S. ?? Why become a PCP and make 130k a year when you can specialize and make 300K a year ?
Don't think you can put NPs and PAs in the same bag.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:36 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
When I first moved from Jersey to Florida I could only find one board certified endo and he was 45 minutes away. I saw him once, (the first visit) and then they had me see a nurse practicioner there for my next few app.'s. I wanted to see the doc! On my fourth app. I requested to see the doc and additional bloodwork done as I was not feeling very well. I got it but in the office when I left they told me to come back once a year. I called a few months later for an app. and they said the doc would no longer see me! I was really shocked at this.

In Florida it is rare that you see an actual doc. The walk in place I go to is full of nurse practitioners and when I went to the Gynocologist down here I never saw a doc the 4 times I went. All nurse practitioners. This is due to the fact that the state of Florida is short over 600,000 doctors and they are now coming in from Puerto Rico! Not good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness