U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 AM
 
Location: morrow,ga
1,081 posts, read 1,631,508 times
Reputation: 1314

Advertisements

People always say that you can "choose" to feel a certain way...I dont know about you but when someone says something that makes me angry, I dont know that I like the way anger feels, so why would someone choose such a feeling? Alot of times someone will make some type of comment about me and I try to use self-talk. I say, "this is not going to hurt you", to myself, but no matter what I think in my head, I can still feel the hurt in my heart. I have always been an oversensitive person my whole life and everywhere I go people berate and criticize me for it, and I feel like I should never open up myself to people cause if someone finds a weakness in you they will ALWAYS exploit it, no matter who you are.

I just feel I have no control over my emotions..I try to tell myself to not get upset at myself and to not listen to criticism over me not being able to secure a job with my degree (BS in Business w/focus in marketing) two years after graduation, not having very many friends/too many "shady" friends, or because I talk slow (I grew up in the south....people need to get over it),or my parents not accepting my decisions about how i live my life (me choosing to live in a town FAR away from home where im happy, why i chose my major in school like I did instead of something in "demand", me being bi/dating outside the race) etc, etc. Things almost always seem to bother me and when they dont, they just dont---i do not have to put much effort into it...I get tired of people say, "well you are angry over all this stuff because you choose to be", but I dont understand how to not be that way. I guess some people are just meant to be too eamn sensitive....ya know, it is not exactly cool for a guy to be that way or else people say you are weak.

what is the "secret" to choosing your emotions? why would someone choose to feel negative emotions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 AM
 
1,525 posts, read 3,627,174 times
Reputation: 745
The secret, if there is one, is to recognize the emotion is happening as early as possible then quell the response.

Takes some practice. Surely I've not mastered it, but near as I can tell, the key is early recognition that it's going on... then a decision to handle it in a different way.

It's certainly not a *natural* act, but it can be done.

I'd say at this stage of trying to control it, it's more like "choosing a reaction" to an emotion.

Just a guess, but once you have that down, then you can expand into "not having the emotion at all". Essentially learn to control the reaction first, then that might buy you the space to prevent the emotion thereafter.

To make an out of context quote... "The price of freedom is vigilence".

You gotta see it coming to deal with it proactively.

That takes experience.

(Unless of course, you're particularly cold blooded or non-caring to start with.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 AM
 
9,904 posts, read 13,297,363 times
Reputation: 7330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
The secret, if there is one, is to recognize the emotion is happening as early as possible then quell the response.

Takes some practice. Surely I've not mastered it, but near as I can tell, the key is early recognition that it's going on... then a decision to handle it in a different way.

It's certainly not a *natural* act, but it can be done.

I'd say at this stage of trying to control it, it's more like "choosing a reaction" to an emotion.

Just a guess, but once you have that down, then you can expand into "not having the emotion at all". Essentially learn to control the reaction first, then that might buy you the space to prevent the emotion thereafter.

To make an out of context quote... "The price of freedom is vigilence".

You gotta see it coming to deal with it proactively.

That takes experience.

(Unless of course, you're particularly cold blooded or non-caring to start with.)
I agree, although I will say for myself that my process is a little different.

First I had to recognize and accurately identify what I was feeling. That took a while.
Then I moved on to trying to determine the reason for the feeling and whether or not it was reasonable in the given circumstances to be feeling it.

If it wasn't reasonable, (ie I was busy tearing shreds off myself internally for something, particularly something somebody else might have said or done), then I learned to challenge my inner self talk OR in the case of someone else, challenge in my mind what they said or did. Weigh up whether if what was being said or done was valid either by myself or someone else.

If it was reasonable, (ie I was really angry because of an event that would make any reasonable person in the same circumstances angry) I learned to feel the anger but take a deep breath and try to slow down my heart rate and thought processes in order to view the situation more clearly and less emotionally.

I agree that recognition of exactly how you feel is really important and I agree that controlling reactions is also important and can be done.

I guess I just have a teeny problem with the idea of "quelling" emotions in that I think stuffing things down inside is really unhealthy and leads to bigger problems later. I think perhaps acknowledging how you feel, even if it is anger or rage, and not being fearful of feeling that way is really important before attempting to change how you react.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,087 posts, read 11,551,599 times
Reputation: 4125
You can't really control emotions at the instant they happen, but you can learn to control how you express and react to them. Every time you interact with some one and something comes up, say an offhand remark that is unjust, you have to take a mental step back and let the initial intensity of the emotion go by then work out what would be the best response. It takes practice and commitment, and when it happens you must figure out why it happened. Vary rarely do intense emotions happen in every day situations because of that situation, it's usually past grievances that have been fed and nursed.

Feeling rage and anger is rarely positive, acting like you are can be useful if controlled, and by letting it happen it just becomes a habit and will happen even more. The best way to go is detachment, which doesn't mean you don't care but that you don't get swept up in every little thing. Eastern philosophies are very good at teaching it (Zen and Taoism).

It's best to do it, because those who are in control by emotions are not in control of themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM
 
2,236 posts, read 2,613,823 times
Reputation: 3092
You state you are unable to secure a job with your B.S. in business with marketing emphasis. Are you presently employed but not in your field, or presently unemployed?

If the latter, I would get some sort of job working with the general public, don't be afraid to take something "beneath" your qualifications. It will be a "baptism of fire" so to speak. But survive and your will acqire iterpersonal skills, control over emotions, and an enourmous boost of ego and self confidence. Overall making you a stronger person. In time you'll wonder how you ever got by as your old self.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,856 posts, read 62,827,152 times
Reputation: 19319
The only way someone can make you do something is to hold a gun to your head or threaten you in some way. The only way they can hurt you is if you decide their opinion matters to you. That is the "choice" people talk about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
 
Location: morrow,ga
1,081 posts, read 1,631,508 times
Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
You state you are unable to secure a job with your B.S. in business with marketing emphasis. Are you presently employed but not in your field, or presently unemployed?

If the latter, I would get some sort of job working with the general public, don't be afraid to take something "beneath" your qualifications. It will be a "baptism of fire" so to speak. But survive and your will acqire iterpersonal skills, control over emotions, and an enourmous boost of ego and self confidence. Overall making you a stronger person. In time you'll wonder how you ever got by as your old self.
I am presently employed, but working an hourly retail job (two, actually). what kind of jobs are you talking about that you had in mind i should take? Excellent advice, though! and thanks to all who have answered so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
 
Location: morrow,ga
1,081 posts, read 1,631,508 times
Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The only way someone can make you do something is to hold a gun to your head or threaten you in some way. The only way they can hurt you is if you decide their opinion matters to you. That is the "choice" people talk about.
True, and also what I dont get it is people say that you can control how someone treats you. Well, I cant make them treat me a certain way unless i threaten their life which aint happenin. Like people always tell me i take crap off of others...well its not that..I just try to act like im ignoring what is said to me, but that makes it appear that I am just allowing others to say things to me that they shouldnt, but then if i respond to those comments then people say, "well why did you respond to that? ignore them and stop giving weight to their comments". its a lose-lose situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 PM
 
9,904 posts, read 13,297,363 times
Reputation: 7330
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
True, and also what I dont get it is people say that you can control how someone treats you. Well, I cant make them treat me a certain way unless i threaten their life which aint happenin. Like people always tell me i take crap off of others...well its not that..I just try to act like im ignoring what is said to me, but that makes it appear that I am just allowing others to say things to me that they shouldnt, but then if i respond to those comments then people say, "well why did you respond to that? ignore them and stop giving weight to their comments". its a lose-lose situation.
Yeah, I understand a lot of what you're saying. Much of it has been levelled at me at different times in my life.

You're too sensitive
CHOOSE to be positive
CHOOSE not to be negative
Don't let people walk all over you
Don't respond
Do respond

the list is endless and confusing AND frustrating.

Ultimately what I know is that you can gain a great deal of peace and "handle" these things so much easier with just a few techniques and by establishing boundaries.

You are who you are. You have every right to feel however it is you feel.
People can't comment on it if they don't know, so one thing I've learned is to be really selective about who I share my thoughts and feelings with.

With regard to how people treat you, yes you're right to some extent. You can't control what other people do BUT you can limit your exposure to those who treat you badly or quietly challenge them if you don't like what is happening. This one is really difficult to negotiate if you're a go with the flow kind of person and normally would ignore what you don't like but it can be as simple as saying "I don't like it when you <insert behaviour here>. It makes me feel <insert feeling here>." Said quietly as a statement of fact is sometimes enough to make people aware and to start policing their own behaviour, if it isn't then removing yourself from them is another great option.

The bottom line I have found, well for me anyway, is I need to be kind to myself first and foremost and if that means occasionally having to draw people's attention to my likes and dislikes or ending a friendship/relationship if necessary then so be it.

Be who you are introspective1. Love yourself and respect yourself and raise the bar in terms of your expectations from the people around you. The confidence you will gain from knowing yourself well and exuding self respect will go a long way to filtering out the kind of people you don't need in your life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 01:05 AM
 
Location: morrow,ga
1,081 posts, read 1,631,508 times
Reputation: 1314
Thank you so much, MoonShadow!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top