U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 12,729 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I am desperate for some advice. I am 26, and for several years I hav suffered seasonal tonsilitus, however in the last 3 years I have it pretty much every day.

I seem to wake up in the morning with a fat feeling throat, and my tonsils are red and inflammed. After a drink and 1hr of time, I can actually hear my tonsills 'popping' as trapped air escapes, and they swell down. Every morning this happens, and they are even worse if I have been drinking the night before I go to bed.

My tonsils dont go as bad as some pics on the web, but they do swell up bright red, and look like they will POP!; I also do have crypts and the odd white smelly lump is visible, so I encourage it out.

I am sick of having this every day, it is making me depressed and fatigued.

Have I some sort of wild tonsilitus that no one has heard of? I can't have this every day, I am going for the operation.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 AM

2,690 posts, read 3,969,630 times
I had my tonsils removed at age 26, because of constant inflammation and infections.

Here's another thread we had a while back on the subject:
//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...illectomy.html

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM

19,856 posts, read 62,885,220 times
Your tonsils are infected and they "pop" when some pus drains or breaks through. You need surgery NOW. A constant infection can get into your blood and go other places like your heart. This is serious business.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 AM

6,262 posts, read 18,488,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Your tonsils are infected and they "pop" when some pus drains or breaks through. You need surgery NOW. A constant infection can get into your blood and go other places like your heart. This is serious business.
true. When mine had to be removed, the doctor said I was on the verge of Rheumatic fever due to the infection.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM

21,010 posts, read 28,719,482 times
Go get checked. I would go to an ear nose & throat.
Sounds like it is time to have them out.

It's also possible something else is going on.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,978,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
true. When mine had to be removed, the doctor said I was on the verge of Rheumatic fever due to the infection.
tonsils do not cause rheumatic fever,but severly infected tonsils can lead to a severe systemic infection among other things

please get at least 2 board certified ear,nose,throat mds opinions before surgery

Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,488,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
tonsils do not cause rheumatic fever,but severly infected tonsils can lead to a severe systemic infection among other things

please get at least 2 board certified ear,nose,throat mds opinions before surgery
whew!! thanks......will pass that information along to my doctor--you know the one who went to med school

Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM

28,778 posts, read 44,856,654 times
Sounds like me at 17/18. Six foot two and down to 145 pounds. Couldn't eat solid foods for 6 months. Went to Doc Ramsey every week and he would swab out my throat with iodine and pull up the ugliest cottage cheese you've ever seen. Cost me $5.

I finally went to the local "free" hospital as we had no money to pay a "real" hospital to get them taken out. I had to wait because the free hospital would not accept me until I was 18. Didn't take long before I felt much better.

The lymph nodes at the sides of my throat are still hard and swollen 43 years later.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,978,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
whew!! thanks......will pass that information along to my doctor--you know the one who went to med school

all drs go to med school--some here and others out of the country---not all med schools train the same and board certification means the doctor has passed strict criteria

Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 AM

10,648 posts, read 14,057,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael143 View Post
I am sick of having this every day, it is making me depressed and fatigued.

Have I some sort of wild tonsilitus that no one has heard of? I can't have this every day, I am going for the operation.

Thanks,
This is a post from my past.

Dude, see a surgeon and get those tonsils out ASAP! Screw what anyone else says or advises, get those puppies out they're rotten and not doing you a darn thing good!

My first major attack happened when I was 19 years old and for the next 12 or 13 years it was a seasonal thing, something I could tolerate.

But in my early 30's it changed. Seasonal became twice a year, then three times and four times and then it got so bad my darn tonsils were running my life!

It got so bad I was seeing the doctor every four to six weeks for antibiotics and I was planning big events, family reunions and vacations around my "antibiotic schedule".

Then it got to be where the only time I wasn't in trouble was when I was actually on the antibiotics. Feel bad, see doctor, get antibiotics, feel better in two days, feel great again in 10 days, feel bad again in 13 days and at two weeks it was time for me to see the darn doctor again.

I felt like I was paying the suckers mortgage!

At 39 I lost my cool in his office, told him what I thought of him, of doctors and the medical profession in general. A bunch of quacks and I looked at him square in the eye telling him he was bleeding me dry. 1988 at $200 per month factoring inflation what cost $200.00 in 1988 would cost $359.49 in 2008. The equivalent of $360 a month month after month for years and years ends up being a lot of money and hurts even more so recognizing you constantly feel like crap.

At 39 years old, one month away from my 40th birthday, I see a surgeon who flat out (finally someone telling me something I already knew) they were the worst tonsils he'd seen in a long, long time and they had to come out.

Having your tonsils out at 40 is not easy. The pain a week later was incredible but worth it.

Over 20 years ago now and never sick again. Once a year I might get a mild common cold but that is gone in a few days and life is good.

If you have the smell (really nasty smelling stuff), the cysts and pits then really, you have no choice but to get them out and don't take no for an answer.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness