Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM

17 posts, read 130,772 times

Advertisements

Yep, go to the doctor. I have seen a lot of severe sunburns, they can lead to blood poisioning and other complications. To soothe the pain ( depending if its open or not ) vinegar will help take the burn out of it temporarly but the releif doesnt last long. Vinegar will most likely sting the skin for a few seconds, and if the skin is broken or oozing from the burn do not put vinegar on it w/o the physicans recommend. Avoid the sun for several days and use cool water to shower with and lightly pat the skin dry. Do not use oils on the burns because it might make matters worse. I worked in the ER for several years and best advice is get to Doctor. Yor doctor may prescribe other meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times
Bacitracin and Neosporin are triple antibiotic ointments and are meant for minor scrapes and burns. The MOST important thing to do after a sunburn is to stay very hydrated (drink lots of water). Much of the moister in your top layer of skin is GONE. Using a triple antibiotic ointment will seal in any new moister that is delivered by your veins and capillaries and also fight any on potential infection.

Cortisone cream is a steroid. Steroids STOP the body from reacting the way it should. It's good for itches like bug bites and poison ivy but NOT for burns of any degree.

Don't peel off any loose skin. You may inadvertently peel off live skin along with it and cause another open sore that may get infected.

Stay away from caffiene and alcohol as these are a diuretic and you will not retain as much of the needed moisture.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Dennis, if I can be so bold.....you sound like you work in the medical field, am I right?

Old 04-25-2007, 03:14 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Dennis, if I can be so bold.....you sound like you work in the medical field, am I right?
I've been hit, hurt, burned, poisoned, cut ,shot and broken so many times I learned to treat myself and my family for most anything that doesn't require surgery.

If I were a real doctor I would be able to spell "moisture"

Old 04-26-2007, 07:37 AM

OMG. I hope you have good insurance! Glad you're still with us.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
OMIGOD!!!! I am a nurse - get your burned body to your healthcare person or the UC / ER. You may need prescription meds and other stuff. Do shower under cool tepid water, aloe gel ok but not alcohol based, and definitely DO NOT go out until healed. WEAR SUNSCREEN from now on!!!!!! Many cases of melanoma are linked to severe sunburns!!!!! Yes, I am excited 'cause I am concerned for you and your skin and your health. ((((worried mother hen))))
I agree with mary. I'd get myself in to see my physician not because he can heal you, but the burns are so severe and so deep with your skin's defenses compromised that I'd hate to see you get infected on top of your current discomfort. Remember that the sun's rays are UVB and UVA. One burns the surface, the other actually penetrates your skin and burns the deep layers, hence your blisters. Water or snow is particularly notorious for amplifying sunburns.
Also, I'm a redhead, blue eyes, very fair complected and I have 5-6 severe burns over my life, most when I was a child.
I've also been fighting a neverending battle with basel cell carcinoma ever since. I've been fortunate I got to keep my nose and wasn't disfigured, but I stay OUT of the sun except for 15 min. periods at time where I lay out nude just to let the rays bathe me. The moment I feel any discomfort, I grab the towel and head inside. My yardhat is a wide-brimmed straw hat and I wear long sleeves when working for lengthy periods in the yard.
Follow mary's advice now, then follow mine later!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Mrshvo ... how are you doing? I hope the sunburn isn't feeling as bad and you're finally getting some relief.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:11 PM

I was wondering about you, too, mrshvo. Has anybody heard from her since her post? **mother hens, unite!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:49 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I have severe sunburn-probably 2nd degree. Yes, I know I was stupid, did not put anything on, was on water...I am the type of person who if I want any color, I need to burn because I do not tan. I have been horribly sunburned before...

My face is red, nose and forehead have dried yellow patches...and if I peel them off because they are almost bright yellow...I feel wetness, so I am assuming they are blisters.

My forehead is swollen to the point that I noticed it, and started to ask my husband about it..."honey, I might be crazy, but...." and then he finished by telling me, yes, your forehead is swollen.

I know it's abad sunburn. But, do I need to see a doctor. I have been sunburned before; when I was in my teens I had it so bad I had the chills, and vomiting, and developed huge bubble blisters on my chest. I just know I am older now (34), and live in a different state-Florida now, PA then.

Thanks!
Am a nurse and yes see your doctor. He can give you stuff for pain, to prevent infection and prevent scarring.

After that invest in sunscreen...if you need to burn to get a tan, then that's not a tan...that's scarring from the burn which will give your skin a pigment but will also cause premature aging and probably cancer. I suggest you invest in a professional spray on tan for color and protect your skin with sunscreen from burning. Feel better soon.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Thank you so muhc for caring about me! Yes, I haven't been on too much-pain and being busy doesn't work well.

Well, I didn't see a doctor. I saw the nurse of my school-I'm a teacher and we have a nurse on site.

I showed her my swollen forehead, and then the swollen eyes that developed after my post-the yellow scabs in my scalp (mmm, I sound prettttyyy), and of course my redness.

She said just to put allow on it, don't peel it-let it just drop naturally (hopefully not in someone's coffee!), stay out of the sun, and hte swelling will go down eventually. Now I have to hope I don't develop some kind of skin cancer in the future

And yes, I will always apply sunscreen after this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness