Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
herbivor,

You might also find this web site and articles of interest...and maybe comforting, too.

Why The Cholesterol-Heart Disease Theory Is Wrong
I agree as there's so many different blood factors to heart disease and not just TL Cholesterol i.e. HDL levels, Fasting Glucose, A1c, Triglycerides, Homocysteine, C-Reactive Protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
excerpts from the book Malignant Medical Myths by Joel M. Kauffman (I think, I forgot to save the link where I found this.)

Quote:
Among the elderly the effects of low serum total cholesterol and low LDL-C were found to be deadly. In a study on residents of northern Manhattan, NY, 2,277 subjects were followed for 10 years with results reported in 2005. Two-thirds were female and 1/3 of the total were Hispanic, African American and white. Subjects were 65-98 years old at baseline, mean age 76. The chance of dying was twice as great in the lowest quartile of total cholesterol or LDL-C levels, while HDL-C and triglyceride levels were not related to all-cause mortality in this age group.

With the many side effects of these drugs, they could be deadly to a senior. I was tripping over my own feet while on them (and I wasn't a senior yet), my sister took 3 bad falls while she was on them (not a senior either).Can we say "statin shuffle?".

My bosses Mom fell and broke her shoulder while on them and we won't even go into the memory problems I had on them that would/could have been diagnosed as dementia.. Bosses Mom was diagnosed with that and she had episodes of amnesia while on them. Her mind got so bad that she had to be put in nursing home in her mid 70's.

My Mom lived into her 80's and her cholesterol was up in the 365 range. She didn't have heart disease or any signs of any. At that age, her doctor didn't worry about her cholesterol as much as he did her weight. She was super thin and he told us whatever it took to get her to eat... give it to her.

Do yourself a favor and research the internet and find your own answers, so you can make a more informed decision.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM

481 posts, read 805,947 times
Don't take those awful, muscle-wasting statin drugs. Terrible side-effects.

Look up Jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum) and try that instead. It will bring down cholesterol by 25%. Great, safe herb!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
High dose niacin is the most effective way to reduce serum cholesterol known.

It can get you down to 80 in six months - but you don't want it that low because cholesterol is essential for cellular membrane construction and hormone manufacture.

I'd keep it at about 175.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
I have always said the cholesterol scare is a bunch of hogwash...and I continue to think so. Eventually it will all be swept under the rug, just like a lot of other scares.
I have been diagnosed with high cholesterol, and I refuse to take statins. I do take Omega 3 fish oil, and unscented garlic tabs, but not just for the cholesterol thing. I can't take the niacin because even the non flushing type do a number on me.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivor View Post
I was bummed to find that although I've been a vegan for 2 years, my cholesterol has actually increased from 276 to 326. ...
How's your thyroid? Undiagnosed or undertreated hypothyroidism can be a cause of high cholesterol levels.

Just an idea for you to pursue, if you haven't already.

And if it's not hypothyroidism, I wonder if some other undiagnosed condition could cause it too?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I have always said the cholesterol scare is a bunch of hogwash...and I continue to think so. Eventually it will all be swept under the rug, just like a lot of other scares.
I have been diagnosed with high cholesterol, and I refuse to take statins. I do take Omega 3 fish oil, and unscented garlic tabs, but not just for the cholesterol thing. I can't take the niacin because even the non flushing type do a number on me.
What kind of number?

The non-flushing type is niacinamide but doesn't have any effect on cholesterol levels.

The Niacin flush, or burn, is overcome by gradually increasing the dose, as it is a tolerance drug (at high doses, it's a drug)

At one time, I was taking 9 grams per day with no flushing.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 26,793 times
I've been reading a book called "The great cholesterol con". Very enlightening. I didn't realize the number of studies that show that cholesterol has nothing to do with heart disease or arteriosclerosis, nor do statins in reducing mortality. I'm not too worried about my cholesterol levels anymore, but do plan to fine tune my diet, supplements, and stress levels. Anyone with cholesterol issues should check out the book.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Too bad vegetarians are so terrified of fat as there's been so much research out about how olive oil (monounsaturated fat) and salmon (Omega-3 polyunsaturated fat) can lower LDL and raise HDL, lower Triglycerides and also lower C-Reactive Protein (Artery Inflammation) in the blood stream.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 26,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Too bad vegetarians are so terrified of fat as there's been so much research out about how olive oil (monounsaturated fat) and salmon (Omega-3 polyunsaturated fat) can lower LDL and raise HDL, lower Triglycerides and also lower C-Reactive Protein (Artery Inflammation) in the blood stream.
uh, who says we're terrified of fat? I eat lots of fat. I love fat, even saturated fat. Please enlighten us as to which study you are referring to about vegetarians being terrified of fat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness