Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:10 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Wrong every single cell have cholesterol in their membrane (including plants).
So if you think that "plant food" is 100% cholesterol free, you are wrong.
(why take statins?)To prevent further arteriosclerosis, also if you want to reverse it the key is to increase your "good cholesterol".
My understanding was that plants have negligible dietary cholesterol, so even if measured it wouldn't be significant to show up on the nutrition facts. Although I had thought it was only sterols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 PM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivor View Post
I was bummed to find that although I've been a vegan for 2 years, my cholesterol has actually increased from 276 to 326. I'm not an unhealthy vegan either. I eat lots of healthy veggies, fruits and legumes and avoid processed food as much as possible. I'm 34, 6'2" and weigh 172 lbs. I have hereditary high cholesterol. My dad and his 7 siblings all have heart disease and are on statins, although for some, it doesn't look like statins make any difference. They lower cholesterol numbers but that's about it. The more I research statins, the more I read there is not enough evidence to support their claimed benefits. Does anyone know anyone who has lived well into their 80's and 90's with very high cholesterol without any problems? It would be somewhat encouraging to know if high cholesterol is not a death sentence for a relatively healthy person.
Lost my first post, well, I have hereditary high cholesterol and I found that removing most dietary cholesterol helped, and exercising regularly also helps. So you have to have both, plus you might include more omega's and maybe occasional wine/beer.

I lost the sensation in my arm a few times in one month, and after changing my diet and trying to add exercise it helped noticeable. I haven't had those problems since. So I would say how you feel probably means a little more than the numbers, since the numbers can vary with each test.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
My mother is 84 and has had high cholesterol since her mid forties. She never wanted to take medication for it. So it has remained very high. I'm talking 300+ total cholesterol. She has never had a heart attack or stroke and is still mentally sharp. I'm not saying this is typical, but just as an encouragement to the OP...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My mother is 84 and has had high cholesterol since her mid forties. She never wanted to take medication for it. So it has remained very high. I'm talking 300+ total cholesterol. She has never had a heart attack or stroke and is still mentally sharp. I'm not saying this is typical, but just as an encouragement to the OP...
I am thinking your mother's condition is very typical. I have long believed that the cholesterol scare is just that...another scare. I believe if the theories on fats being so destructive were true, there would not be all the folks who are now in thier 80s, 90s and even past 100. They were raised on pork fat! Lard was the main ingredient in most baked goods. Bacon grease was the flavoring in many foods.
I am 77, and have also had high cholesterol. and refuse to take statins. My mind is not all that good, but it is not due to the high cholesterol...it is due to Fibromyalgia Syndrome, meds for that, stress, and old age.
My husband is 83,. He had heart blockage, and possible TIA strokes, but they were long before he ever had high cholesterol!
I have many friends who are older than I, and most of them are still very lucid, and active.
I am seeing many more young people with memory problems than I ever saw in my young and middle aged years. I think mankind needs to look elsewhere for that problem. Perhaps to the fast pace of living, and all the dire messages on the news?
When I was younger, folks did not live in constant fear. Yes, we had wars, but we got over them! We were not afraid of everything we ate. We were no afraid of the water we drank. We were not afraid of all the merchandise that we bought...and on, and on...
I never saw all the younger people suffering from cancer back then either. There is another reason... Most people do not want to recognize what it really is....
If you are curious as to what I truely believe it is, send me a private message and ask. I do not want to start a big quarrel on here.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:19 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivor View Post
I've been reading a book called "The great cholesterol con". Very enlightening. I didn't realize the number of studies that show that cholesterol has nothing to do with heart disease or arteriosclerosis, nor do statins in reducing mortality. I'm not too worried about my cholesterol levels anymore, but do plan to fine tune my diet, supplements, and stress levels. Anyone with cholesterol issues should check out the book.
I wouldn't consider that book a good source of information.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
My understanding was that plants have negligible dietary cholesterol, so even if measured it wouldn't be significant to show up on the nutrition facts. Although I had thought it was only sterols.
It doesn't really matter, your body can convert cholesterol from almost everything that you eat, including plants. Like I said before everything has pyruvate.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 PM

369 posts, read 942,416 times
To help with cholesterol issues eat 2-3 organic eggs each day (not an option if you want to stay vegan) cooked in coconut oil or real butter. Take 500mg of red yeast rice daily. Exercise at least 4-5 days a week for 30 minutes per day.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
To help with cholesterol issues eat 2-3 organic eggs each day (not an option if you want to stay vegan) cooked in coconut oil or real butter. Take 500mg of red yeast rice daily. Exercise at least 4-5 days a week for 30 minutes per day.
Is funny, do you know that each egg has about 200 mg of cholesterol (including organic eggs), and is recommended that you only eat 400 mg a day. Meaning 2 eggs and you have your full amount of cholesterol needed.
Also if you have high cholesterol then your recommended daily intake is about 300 mg, so just with 2 eggs and you already passed your recommended intake.
Oh, and the myth of cooking an egg for 15 min. or even 30 min. is not going to eliminate cholesterol.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 AM

369 posts, read 942,416 times
Eggs are the top cholesterol lowering food that we have. They contain choline and lecithin to help clean arteries. many studies show that the amount of cholestorol we consume does not have much influence on blood cholesterol levels.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:06 AM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
It doesn't really matter, your body can convert cholesterol from almost everything that you eat, including plants. Like I said before everything has pyruvate.
But does it correlate to actual increase or reduction of cholesterol levels? I know mine went down over 50 points after limiting dietary cholesterol intake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness