Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM

674 posts, read 1,619,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
They was so discomforting last night, that I had to get up for an hour.
It didn`t matter what position I put myself in laying in bed. It seemed to feel better when I was walking around.

They get worse if you eat anything - anything - that aggrevates the sensitivity the body has at the start of it all. Salt, spices in any form, alcohol, coffee, acidic or sour drinks or fruit, etc. You have to keep the food super plain preferably a day before, otherwise at least the entire day it starts. And when I mean, plain I mean plain. For example, mashed potatoes or cooked rice. No salt, no butter, no anything. Only plain potatoes. You can add some mild veggies but no flavoring of any sort.

Then you will notice the pain is far less or none at all. You need to do this the same number of days you know you suffer these cramps. If its only the first day, do it preferably the day before it starts and the first day. If you try it a few times, you'll immediately notice that if you eat something that has anything added to it, any oils, spices, flavors, or anything that is not super plain, it will start aching again within an hour and can take hours to get better.

Recently on travels I read an article on some medicine intended for something else, that seemed to almost cure this condition. If I find the info, I'll post again.

Last edited by antibes; 08-26-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I had terrible cramps when I was in my teens (would usually end up vomitting) and they can still be pretty fierce. Seems to be bad every other month now. I take 4 Advil/Ibuprofen as soon as my period starts, and then 2 more every 2-3 hours for the rest of the day. That reduces the cramps to almost nothing. Generally within 24-36 hours I don't need to take any more advil.
Please note, I do not know if it is safe or good to take that much Advil, but that's what works for me.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
I used to get them awfully, until I started on Nuvaring. Makes my cramps absolutely non-existant.

I went one month without and went through two 5mg Vicodin a day, along with 800mg ibuprofen, and still blacked out from pain. At least I was able to sleep for a few hours...

I've also heard that if you know your cycle, take a few ibuprofen for three days leading up to your period. It makes cramps much less severe. Never worked for me, but it may for you.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:45 AM

429 posts, read 684,787 times
sounds like you may be trying to pass a blood clot.it usually feels better if I lay non my back with a pillow under my legs and my legs bent.also try a powdered pain reliver.I believe it gets in the system faster.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
Vicodin for the pain and Phenergan for the nausea.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I am with you there.
There have been a few times I've fainted because of my period.
A nurse suggested I get on birth control and too bad it was $30 a month.
I am considering going back to the OB/GYN to get another prescription but I don't feel like trying to get a pap smear done.

Midol helps me a lot but I have to take it in time or else I'm out for about an hour or two. I missed school this Wednesday because of my period.

Lindsey_Mcfarren, that's interesting. I had a pregnancy nightmare Tuesday night. I wanted to wake up so bad. I wish my dog would have barked or something to wake me up.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am with you there.
There have been a few times I've fainted because of my period.
A nurse suggested I get on birth control and too bad it was $30 a month.
I am considering going back to the OB/GYN to get another prescription but I don't feel like trying to get a pap smear done.

Midol helps me a lot but I have to take it in time or else I'm out for about an hour or two. I missed school this Wednesday because of my period.

Lindsey_Mcfarren, that's interesting. I had a pregnancy nightmare Tuesday night. I wanted to wake up so bad. I wish my dog would have barked or something to wake me up.
I have found that the pill DOES help... and wow I am with you on the other, in the past 3 months I have had dreams that I was pregnant, weird

Old 08-30-2009, 12:32 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
The pill def. helped me however I am not even close to being involved with anyone so no need for birth control and I hate taking them. I started when I was 19, my body needs a break from the hormones in those things.

I have been off the pill since 2002. At first my periods were so outrageous, words fail. Over the years they have gotten a little better but they are still such a challenge to deal with.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,758 times
In Germany the following plant has been recommended as a natural alternative:

Vitex agnus-castus — commonly called just Vitex, but also called Chaste Tree, Chasteberry, or Monk's Pepper .

Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times
A doctor I saw recommended the strategy of taking the Aleve beginning a day or two before it was expected. That worked pretty well when I was on top of things to remember to start up in time. I still had cramps, but more like what I imagine most people who say "It's normal to have some cramping..." have.

I'm another one who blacks out, vomits, and has diarrhea with menstrual cramps. It probably started 2-3 years after I began menstruating. I've never been through childbirth but I can't imagine it being much worse.

Now I just take continuous-cycle birth control pills. I went off them once years back when a relationship was over and I didn't need them for birth control purposes anymore and I was all interested in trying herbs and whatnot, but it was just as bad again. At times I've taken them the regular way, with the placebo week, and even that is 100 times better than "au natural", which to me would be imcompatible with holding down a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness