Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,769 times

Advertisements

When do you take your blood pressure medicine, in the morning or at night? I find it makes me sleepy, so taking it at night is better, although it says to take in the morning, Topol ER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
When do you take your blood pressure medicine, in the morning or at night? I find it makes me sleepy, so taking it at night is better, although it says to take in the morning, Topol ER

It has been my observation that blood pressure meds make a person a little on the doty side. As the body ages and veins/arteries become less elastic it is necessary to increase the blood pressure slightly so that the blood reaches all parts of the body (especially the BRAIN). If you do not allow this natural process to happen the brain is deprived of sufficent blood/oxygen to function well. I am quite sure that a LOT of the mental disorders that we see as related to aging have a great deal to do with the fact that older people are almost ALWAYS on high blood pressure medicine to stop this natural and necessary process.

Medicine is so screwed up.

If you are determined to lower your blood pressure, there are many excellent ways to do it that do not involve big pharma.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
that's one of the warnings re: side effects of drugs prescribed to lower blood pressure. see list of side effects for Diovan for instance.

"Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. diovan may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities. Also use caution when rising from a sitting or lying position. "

DIOVAN (VALSARTAN)

Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Yes, I agree, however, I was put on it because of fast heartbeat and dizzy spells. It does help, but now doc tells me it could "bottom out" that is, create dizzy spells because it becomes too potent. I'm trying to take 1/2 pill, also, trying other methods, extra calcium, etc. I do notice I'm somewhat not as mentally agile with that BP medicine, need to try something else.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It has been my observation that blood pressure meds make a person a little on the doty side. As the body ages and veins/arteries become less elastic it is necessary to increase the blood pressure slightly so that the blood reaches all parts of the body (especially the BRAIN). If you do not allow this natural process to happen the brain is deprived of sufficent blood/oxygen to function well. I am quite sure that a LOT of the mental disorders that we see as related to aging have a great deal to do with the fact that older people are almost ALWAYS on high blood pressure medicine to stop this natural and necessary process.

Medicine is so screwed up.

If you are determined to lower your blood pressure, there are many excellent ways to do it that do not involve big pharma.

20yrsinBranson
I've often thought this, too. Seems every person over 65 is automatically on BP medicine, when perhaps higher BP is part of the aging process and not necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps they need to do different baselines for older people, but I'm just 46. Thing is, I started it due to dizzy spells, now I'm having dizzy spells with it, feel like I'm going to pass out, just about a week ago I had a funny "spell" told my husband I felt I was "going under" just laid down and it went away, those spells come and go, all doctors say is to take more BP medicine, but I've cut back and feel better.

Also, was told to take prevacid, it seemed to make my stomach slow down, I was throwing up stuff I'd eaten 2-3 days ago, undigested and undissolved pills, stop the prevacid and stomach functions normally. Medicines sometime cause more problems than they help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness