Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Interesting read about scientist's at the University of Miyazaki in Japan have shown that a compound high in Blueberries ''Proanthocyanidin'' blocks the replication of Hepatitis C in their clinical studies.

Hepatitis Healing Power Of Blueberry Leaves - Science Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 AM

481 posts, read 806,521 times
That is wonderful news! All types of berries are incredible super foods. We should eat those delicious berries every day.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Ah yes, blueberries - my favorite! They are so full of delicious flavor, wonderful health benefits and grow wild in unpolluted abundance up here in Alaska. I make it my full-time job from late August through September to gather as many as I can, freeze about 10 gallons for eating throughout the year and make juice from the rest for drinking through the year.
Note, however, this article describes the benefits of the leaves. Early each spring when the leaves are fresh and new I gather and dry them to add to other wild greens such as nettles, raspberry leaves, spruce tips etc. for "tea" through the winter. The leaf tea also helps maintain stable blood sugar and contains antiseptic which controls diarrhea, urinary disorders and makes a good gargle for mouth and throat sores.
While domestic blueberries have little comparison to the wild plants (just my opinion) everyone should plant blueberries in their yard if possible. I wish everyone could come up here and gather these wonderful fruits. So many berries - so little time!!!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/103_0011.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
That is wonderful news! All types of berries are incredible super foods. We should eat those delicious berries every day.
Exactly .... as i love to eat them frozen for desert .

Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Ah yes, blueberries - my favorite! They are so full of delicious flavor, wonderful health benefits and grow wild in unpolluted abundance up here in Alaska. I make it my full-time job from late August through September to gather as many as I can, freeze about 10 gallons for eating throughout the year and make juice from the rest for drinking through the year.
Note, however, this article describes the benefits of the leaves. Early each spring when the leaves are fresh and new I gather and dry them to add to other wild greens such as nettles, raspberry leaves, spruce tips etc. for "tea" through the winter. The leaf tea also helps maintain stable blood sugar and contains antiseptic which controls diarrhea, urinary disorders and makes a good gargle for mouth and throat sores.
While domestic blueberries have little comparison to the wild plants (just my opinion) everyone should plant blueberries in their yard if possible. I wish everyone could come up here and gather these wonderful fruits. So many berries - so little time!!!
GrammasCabin, they look so good i could just dive into them and thanks for sharing the photo's .

Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Harry

I think you'd enjoy a drink that I concocted recently. I steeped green tea and dried blueberries together to make a geat tasting tea. I let it cool, then put it into the refrigerator to chill it. It's a very refreshing drink after a 5 mile hike in the desert on a hot summer afternoon. I want to try the same combination of green tea and blueberries, but instead of dried blueberries, I'll squeeze the juice of fresh blueberries into the green tea.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Harry

I think you'd enjoy a drink that I concocted recently. I steeped green tea and dried blueberries together to make a geat tasting tea. I let it cool, then put it into the refrigerator to chill it. It's a very refreshing drink after a 5 mile hike in the desert on a hot summer afternoon. I want to try the same combination of green tea and blueberries, but instead of dried blueberries, I'll squeeze the juice of fresh blueberries into the green tea.
Thanks Franco !! That sounds really good as i'll give that a try sometime . At times i have bought green tea with blueberries added to it by the Salada brand at the grocery store which is good also and i also like to squeeze the tea bags together in my hands after i drank it and rub the reddish fluid all over my face and arms for added antioxidant protection .

Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I didn't realize that I was re-inventing the wheel. I thought I was a creative wiz.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Personally, I'm a fan of a smoothie made from milk, a handful of frozen blueberries, and a pinch of cardamon.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Ok this ingredient is in the leaves or certain blueberry plants, I didn't see where to buy the compound they created from the leaves. I have Hep C and would love to try this. I love blueberries and eat them often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness