U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM

658 posts, read 1,163,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Keep your house vacuumed, and lysoled.
Unless you're allergic to lysol, which many people are.

A good cleanser is a 10 percent solution of vodka and water. I have a spray bottle of this by the sink in the bathroom. Make sure the vacuum has a 99.9 percent filter and changed often. The same for the filter on the furnace. Gas leaks can be a major source of allergies. Some people are allergic to even having a gas appliance in the house.

How you breathe has a big effect on your reactions to allergies. Your body maintains a balance between oxygen and carbon dioxide. Upsetting this balance can cause death. As the blood can only hold about 99 percent oxygen, overbreathing can cause the body to shut down. For example have you ever seen people breathing very fast saying they are having a panic attack? That is why. The panic attack is being caused by their breathing. Usually panic and asthmatic attacks stop when the person is so exhausted they have to stop the overbreathing of oxygen.

I had asthma from age 3 to 5 and then figured out how to get rid of it on my own. My idea was that if I could compress my lungs as much as possible, when I breathed normally there would be more space to breath. I tried this by breathing outtt out out out out out out outttt out out outt.t... as much as I could... compressing my lungs and diaphragm... out out out outtt......... holding this, then breathing normally. Viola! This worked! All through my childhood I would do this exercise and never had asthma again.

Later in high school I practiced holding my breath, as an exercise for running in track, then in junior college held my breath for 1:43 on the bottom of a swimming pool. More recently I found out that asthmatics, because of their imbalance between oxygen and carbon dioxide, are not able to hold their breath very long. There is another method, similar to mine, that is called Buteyko, though I think my method works better. He suggests to practice breathing the air out, then breathing normally, a very mild form of my method.

I've never been to a doctor or taken any medications for asthma. On the other hand, I know of people who developed asthma later in life, go to doctors and take medications all the time, and yet still have the asthma. By the way, if you ever have trouble sleeping, try my "breathing out" method. It will help to clear your lungs and help you to sleep.

How breathing works.
http://www.nqnet.com/buteyko/what_is_buteyko.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 6,167,926 times
Wow. This is great information. It's funny, we have a gas oven, stove, dryer, and water heater. Ugh. I hope this isn't contributing! After reading these posts, I realized that my husband's asthma is worst in our bedroom and that is the room I rarely clean the fan blades in. Ah!

My husband holds his breath often. I never really understood it, but he said it helps him. I've never heard of the breathing out method. I'll let him know about it!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,881,923 times
I want tile throughout the house so a couple times a year I can move the furniture out and clean it really good. On tile I like a mixture of bleach and vinegar with water...I am allergic to dust mites so the bedroom is a bad place for me.

I used to work in a big office building, I have reactive airway disease which is asthma, I got sick often and had real problems when I worked there. Since I left there, I haven't been sick like that at all. I imagine it was something in the air conditioning.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 PM

658 posts, read 1,163,921 times
Jco,
There's a book called "An Alternative Approach To Allergies", by Randolph & Moss with reference to the gas appliances. In some cases they have moved all gas appliances from the houses, though to me it seems a matter of degree. I stay away from the kitchen when the stove is on etc. There should be info on the net on this too.

Here's an idea for putting a filter on a fan. You could do the same thing with the heating vents.
http://carnicom.com/fan1.htm

Lisa,
I'm the same way and don't care for air conditioning. In fact I've not used the furnace for 7 years. I got a fireplace insert and have been using that during the winters instead. I agree with you also on the tiles. Carpets are a magnet for dust mites.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:03 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,881,923 times
Until I can have a house with tile...I'm a mad woman with my carpet shampooer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness