Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 PM

24 posts, read 109,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboytrez View Post
seems the thread getting quieter.. or is everybody recovered?
speaking for myself, ummm... no. Haven't recovered.

I haven't fallen down lately, though...

My next appt is on November 19, at which time I hope I'll be allowed to weight-bear. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM

83 posts, read 296,124 times
I was at physio for my actual bad leg, and bent down to pick something up -> Making my good ankle give way. It cracked but physio said nothings broken, think ive severely sprained it =[

Yeah im going nuts. im going out a bit now but not so much since the spraining!!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 PM

51 posts, read 230,121 times
Unhappy Fighting Frustration

I have my next visit to the OS next Wednesday. I'm hoping he says I can start weight bearing as tolerated or even very limited - anything that will let me feel like I'm making some progress. My PT is working directly from the OS orders which were very specific that I was NWB and so only stretches for my ankle and knee until the OS changes them. Yes I am only 6 weeks post-op/accident but this lack of mobility is driving me crazy. Yesterday I was totally optimistic and positive and today I'm fighting the frustration all day long and trying hard not to snap at everyone. Everything is taking me about 3-5 times as much effort to get done and I'm just tired and worn out today. Talk about mood and emotional swings! I'm trying really hard to stay upbeat and mostly doing okay but when the other side hits it comes hard.

Diana

Old 11-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
I was at physio for my actual bad leg, and bent down to pick something up -> Making my good ankle give way. It cracked but physio said nothings broken, think ive severely sprained it =[

Yeah im going nuts. im going out a bit now but not so much since the spraining!!
Sorry about the sprain of your good ankle. I hope it heals quickly.
Diana

Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
The boot will eventually come off during PT. It will be encouraged by your PT as well. I had the boot a day after my surgery and I wore it religiously until my doctor told me to start 50% WB. Then my PT told me to take it off because it is better to learn with both feet on the ground but on normal cases when I am outside or doing random things, I should keep it on but to start putting weight while wearing the boot to get more feeling of walking. However, whenever at PT, I always took it off and walked.

If you never had the boot, I don't forsee you having a boot when you start WB. If you were to get it, it would have been right off the bat.

Anyways, happy healing!
UT
Michele and UT,
According to my OS I won't be getting a boot ... nothing - seems like I'll have to be satisfied with the bandaid he put on the sutures that are still in where the bones tore open the skin. I'm actually not sure I want anything now - want to try getting through without it if I can. The swelling gets really bad over the weekends because I can't seem to balance my time with my foot elevated against all the stuff I have to get done on the weekend. During the week I sit with my foot elevated and can still work remote from home so am not up and about hardly at all. On the weekends it's just the opposite and by Sunday night my foot and leg are all ballooned up and I can't get much sleep. You'd think after that happened a few weeks in a row I'd learn but so far it hasn't quite sunk in yet.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboytrez View Post
hi guys, found out abt the forum few weeks ago and i've read abt most posts. congrats to those who recovered.

broke my tib and fib from my motorcycle accident on 1st sept. self skidded on the sandy road. im lucky dat im riding alone and theres no upcoming vehicle. doctor perform 4 ops on me. Rod and 4 screws and skin graft for my open wound. went xray last week but the doctor cant see any growth on my bone. dissapointed the whole day. doc reccomend me to put 30% on my right leg. next xray will be on 3rd dec. will update u guys. btw, start to eat new calcium tablet called Osteocare from the U.S. anyone got tips to get my bone back together? thanx. btw, im from Singapore.

Speedy recovery to all and god bless...
I broke mine 9/24 so you've got a few weeks on me but sounds like we're pretty much in the same boat. OS hasn't said anything about whether he's seen any bone growth or not in my last visit. At least it sounds like they will be allowing you some weight bearing. I'm hoping I'll hear the same next week but they told me there would be no weight bearing until they saw some bone growth so who knows? Best of luck.
Diana

Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
We always hand candy out at the bottom of our stairs also! I broke my tib/fib stepping from stairs and I imagine I'll always be freaked out by stairs. Now I have to stop to think -- up with good foot first; down with bad foot first!

Michele
I hope I can overcome my terror of the stairs. I have a feeling I'll be opting for the back stairs off the deck (fewer stairs and not as steep as the front stairs). We have a drive under garage so no way in or out without dealing with the stairs. We had a stair lift chair installed when my in-laws lived with us and that has been my life-saver but when I'm up and mobile again I will catch enough flack from my husband and my daughter if I use the chair that it won't be worth it (LOL).
Diana

Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbadexample View Post
speaking for myself, ummm... no. Haven't recovered.

I haven't fallen down lately, though...

My next appt is on November 19, at which time I hope I'll be allowed to weight-bear. We shall see.
Recovery seems a long way off today. But looking at the positive - I haven't fallen down recently either. A bit hard to do when you are sitting with your foot elevated 90-95% of the day (LOL).
Diana

Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM

83 posts, read 296,124 times
Diana.

Youre fear of stairs, sounds like how i feel about moving completly. I was just mucking around with my friends when my knee gave way and did so much damage, i walk very slowly, as im a newbie to fwb and im scared somethings gonna break on me. Im desperatly trying to lose weight so that doesnt affect my joints now. Im getting better and im sure you will over come your fear as much as me, when i feel comfortable and confident with walking without people being constantly with me.

Stacey x

Old 11-06-2009, 09:49 AM
m2y

28 posts, read 117,155 times
Hi eveybody

I have been reading some of the posts by the newly joined and those still in the early stages of the recovery phase. I clearly remember all the emotional turbulances of having to go through this tough ordeal. Highs and very lows (sometimes within hours of each other) were very common for me as well. And balancing one's own health and that of life's demands was difficult as well (I can relate to running around on the weekends and dealing with the consequences in the evenings).

I just wanted to send a note that all this will pass and you will regain your life back, probably with a heightened sense of appreciation. I broke my leg in April & had a second surgery in June. Aside from a limp, I am completely mobile. Next step---jogging. My leg still has small, dull aches and it is ugly as sin but I am thrilled to be here finally. It is a long, long journey but you will get better & stronger. This forum is a wonderful place to find support & minimize isolation. All the best everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness