Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,928 times

Advertisements

broke my tib and fib feb 19 2010 had surgery march 3 22 screws and two plates today is may 19 dr. told me yesterday i was ok to go back to work does this seem like a normal healing time i hear such horror stories of tib and fib frankly i am scared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 43,102 times
Well.....WTF.....UPDATE....
Had two weeks to go before I went for my 2nd 6 weeks check up to see if I was done with this Fib/Tib break. ( if you want to see my progress look back at my post's) Wake up with a little redness and was soreness on the 11th of May called the Doc told him I had a little hole in my leg ,He said to come in the next day, woke up on the 12th and leg was killing me. Went to the Doc I had Puss and blood coming from the the little hole. Doc said you have infection ,you have to go to the Hospital on the 13th. Went in for surgery(on 13th) they took out all the hardware 15 screws and plate, He also took out the old hard ware from my ankle from 15 years ago .Was in the Hospital for 4 days took cultures and did test ...Well I have MSSA infection in the bone , They put a picc line in my arm that goes 2 inches from my heart....at 8 o clock everyday I take antibiotics tough the picc line. In the Hospital I was getting them 4 times a day. I came back to work on the 18th some one has to feed the family.
So it is like starting all over again I go back to the OS in 10 days He is going to put a hard cast on for 6-8 Weeks. I have a nurse come to the house on Mondays to take blood and change dressing on the picc line.

kraus2ed..I know your scared we all are or were at some point... it will heal.... it is just a very long road I was doing great in the beginning and it has got worse every week....I hope the best for you.....

Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 17,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
Gabby - you found the best sight on the Internet for your condition -- you are not alone! I couldn't imagine going though this with a child -- just about impossible! Keep your spirits up!
Michele
hello,michele...thank you for responding.i feel so happy that i found a place where people understand what i am going through.i go june 7th for my x-ray to see if the fiblia bone is healed so i can start rehab. it's so hard being around people that don't get or understand what kind of injury this really is,and think that it will be over in a month.this is so frustrating,but still staying strong.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 66,089 times
It's definitely not an injury that takes little time to heal. I was at a scrimmage practice for roller derby one day and talking to one of the girls there that tore her acl a year ago and she said to me, "I would have rather had a broken leg cause at least that's over in 6 weeks" -- I very quickly let her know that it's been 5 months for me already. It's probably gonna be a year total before I can actually get back on skates AND playing. I have learned that a Tibia/Fibula break is no joke and it's a long, hard road to recovery. I wouldn't wish this on anyone ever.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 58,013 times
HI, it's been a while since i been here. i broke my tib and fibula exactly 9 months ago. Doctors put metal plate and 12 screws on my fibula and 3 big screws and a long rod inside my tibia. Right now I'm feeling ok and have started running again 4 months ago. however i don't know when can i start to play basketball again.
My question is anybody here who's thinking about removing their hardware? Problem for me right now is that after running i always feel a bit of pain on my right knee. I read before that removing the hardware will put away the constant knee pain associated with this cases(broke leg&metal implants.
I also asked this to my doctor and he said it's ok to take out the hardware after a few years.
Does anybody know somebody who actually have his hardware remove?

Last edited by spursfan1980; 05-28-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,786 times
I want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed their experiences and advice to this thread. It's helped out a lot of people. Reading about people who had a tough time but are now doing well is really helping me out right now.

I broke my tib and fib April 14th and it has been about the toughest experience of my life. I shattered my tib with 16 fractures and had to get hardware. I've been doing PT.

The hardest part of all was that I just moved to LA for a job, signed a year lease on an apartment, and then did this to myself. Ended up losing the job, but I came out here with savings and I'm determined to see it through. The hard part has been doing it all by myself. It is really hard! My nearest relative is 400 miles away. I've got friends in San Diego but they all have jobs and they're all male, so using my charm is obviously out of the question. I've had to feed myself, get groceries, bathe (so difficult), clean my apartment, climb up and down the steps to my place, and a multitude of other things, with my leg all messed up. I've been taking cabs everywhere and the drivers usually help me get in and out, though. The worst detail was that after my surgery I got a bone infection which just kicked my butt. I was exhausted, with muscle fatigue, nauseous, and just generally in bad shape. I would lay on the floor in between my room and the bathroom and just sob. Pretty pathetic. I ended up having to go back and get a PICC line after the 3 antibiotics I was on all failed to work. Finally, I beat the infection. Off antibiotics. I'm off my painkillers, too, pain's still there but diminishing, and I hate how drowsy the pk's make me feel.

I've been really depressed and reading these threads has just put a nice feeling in my gut. I can't wait to start walking and ... oh lord... running, just any progress at this point will be a relief. Hopefully I'll get a partial weight bearing rating soon.

Anyways, to all those who are suffering the infection road, I feel your pain. It is not fun, but you will eventually feel a million times better. And to those who are dealing with their injuries solo: stay strong. When all is said and done, you will have accomplished something. Keep that in mind. The recovery process can feel like a waste, and the depressed/stressed mind tends to think of tragedy as a waste as well... just remember that it is inevitable at this point and you will be a more hearty individual for conquering it.

Best of luck to all.

-D

Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 66,089 times
Finally, the dr put me on only one crutch for the next two weeks and then no crutch after that, just the boot (unless I'm going somewhere that requires a bit of walking). I am so excited to finally see a light at the end of this long a$$ tunnel. 6 months is too freaking long folks! I like to walk, and I'd like to do it again someday, lol.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 17,100 times
alright so it has been 8 weeks since i broke my leg,went to see my os today and i found out that nothing has healed except my incisions.i can't believe this i thought that it would of had some sort of healing by now.even my os can't figure it out why the bones are not fusing together.is anyone else having this problem?also he informed me that he possibly may want to remove hardware b/c of a lot of ankle pain. .i also fell last night and came down on my injured foot.i really need some serious advice.if anyone can help

Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 PM

32 posts, read 148,573 times
Hello Folks:

Have not had the opportunity to view thread in several months. For those oldies I hope you are well and healed. For the new folks, I feel your pain. We have all been through some serious ordeals as a result of tibia/fib fractures. I for one have been through tough times I injured my tibia in 6 different places and have a plate. This happened Sept. 20th. Surgery Oct. 5th.. I began to WB January 17th.. PT three times a week.. Seven months later and things are almost gettin back to normal. I have returned to work (April 12) I drive.. However, still have pain and leg swell and get tired very easily. So even though your bone will heal you will still experience some discomfort.. Many say I will be recovery for at least a year.. Please for those who are new at this take it easy and take your time. Keep busy read have company.. The process is a long one.. I was lucky I have a great husband and son who were with me and beleive me I cried everyday and really wanted to DIE... Now I am fine and looking forward and accepting my limitations for now. I plan to go to Puerto Rico and swim everyday in the ocean since I was told that is the best excersie among other things.. Please stay positive recovery will be near!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 PM

32 posts, read 148,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraus2ed View Post
broke my tib and fib feb 19 2010 had surgery march 3 22 screws and two plates today is may 19 dr. told me yesterday i was ok to go back to work does this seem like a normal healing time i hear such horror stories of tib and fib frankly i am scared
It took me 6 months before I could return to work. The pain was horrific and I was in a sheel chair/walker for almost 4 months.. I would be careful since it appears that your injury was more serious than mine.. I just returned to work April 12.. I had surgery Oct. 5th fell Sept. 20th... Please be careful.. and if you can stay home for a lil longer than do so.. Some cannot and must retuen to work. I was fortunate and had lots of sick time and vacation.. than I went on disability...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness