Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM

76 posts, read 414,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Blood clots can be deadly! Michelle you are so fortunate! Here is a link that EVERYONE should look at regarding DVT's, stay informed and know the signs!

David Bock's Blood Clot Survival Story - My Sotry of Having a DVT / Pulmonary Embollism (http://www.stoptheclot.org/News/article180.html - broken link)

Nanny
Nanny, the doc in hospital told me that only 30-35% people survive! I am still blown away. It should be posted ocassionally on here the signs as a reminder. During the day when I was sitting up I didn't notice the stabbing pains and I attributed the shortness of breath to not having been physically active in the past 5-1/2 months. But at night when I was sleeping the stabbing pains were so strong and I couldn't breathe -- I haven't smoked for 19 years so I thought maybe I was having affects from that and maybe not related to my leg. I still can't get over why there isn't a protocal for perscribing blood thinners at a designated week of being NWB -- 22 weeks NWB is a long time. Anyway, I go see a new OS on Wednesday --- no PA's for me --no way! I was on blood thinners (shot in stomach) for two weeks after surgery and then I transferred to Calif. OS (really, PA) and he never said anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:58 PM

189 posts, read 794,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
Nanny, the doc in hospital told me that only 30-35% people survive! I am still blown away. It should be posted ocassionally on here the signs as a reminder. During the day when I was sitting up I didn't notice the stabbing pains and I attributed the shortness of breath to not having been physically active in the past 5-1/2 months. But at night when I was sleeping the stabbing pains were so strong and I couldn't breathe -- I haven't smoked for 19 years so I thought maybe I was having affects from that and maybe not related to my leg. I still can't get over why there isn't a protocal for perscribing blood thinners at a designated week of being NWB -- 22 weeks NWB is a long time. Anyway, I go see a new OS on Wednesday --- no PA's for me --no way! I was on blood thinners (shot in stomach) for two weeks after surgery and then I transferred to Calif. OS (really, PA) and he never said anything!

You are right about posting the info. on here as reminders. I was not informed about blod clots, just read about them here and while researching about my injury. It would be easy to attribute your signs to being NWB for so long, we go through so many things anyway and it is easy to figure it is related to recovery. I am just so glad you are OK now! I feel OS, PA's need to inform patients more about the signs to watch for with DVT's. I was never on blood thinners, I know I have read other posts where they were prescribed for some, maybe some situations have higher risks. Regardless, patients should be given more info on what to watch for. Again, glad you are doing better now and goodluck with your new OS.
Nanny

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,699 times
Hi All,I met with an accident on my bike on 7th May 2009 and broke my tibia and fibula bones in 2 pieces just above the ankle or the lower 1/3rd of my right leg where the bone is the thinnest. I got operated the very next day after 20hrs of the accident. A titanium rod with 3 screws and one binder was fixed from the knee to the ankle. I got discharged from the hospital after 7 days and was restricted for very few movements with the help of a four legged walker without the right leg even touching the ground. For the first month I stayed at home. After 6 weeks I again went to my Doc and also got an X-ray done, but as the gap in the bone was significant, I or the Doc could not see any development, but then the Doctor advised me to put 25% of my body weight on my right leg and advised me to meet physiotherapist for some knee, ankle and thigh exercises and to have an X-ray after 6 weeks. Wherein I was told that putting 25% of weight on the leg just meant that you can touch your feet on the ground and was recommended some exercises so that my joints are in motion. Starting with 25% of weight I started going to work again as my job did not required mobility and it was a desk job. Again after six weeks I had an X-ray and was quiet disappointed to see no development, after having a detailed discussion with my Doc, the Dr. enhanced my medication dosage from just a tab of calcium and a pain killer to high dosage of calcium injections and some weekly tablets and advised to meet him after 6 weeks again and also recommended to start putting 50% of the weight. The next X-ray was the same again for me but my Doc did see something which triggered him to go for another surgery in the 18th week which was of Dinamization (removing one of the screws from the upper part of the leg i.e. from the knee). It was a very short operation and I was discharged the next day. After 3 days I was called for the dressing and a week later my stitches were cut; following that the Doc told me to bear 100% of my body weight that means I started walking on 22 September i.e after 19 weeks, though I am limping somewhat and also having pain where the screws have been fixed as well as in my knee as it’s the initiation point of the rod. For that Doc have told me to take pain killers and it would suddenly vanish after a month or so when the rod and the screws adjust themselves to the body. So I’m really excited about it. Well don’t know if it will help others but what I can say is this is a mechanical process and that’s it has to be alright though it takes a lot of time but its not any disease and its just that few people have a faster growth and some has slower. So my advice would be to face this situation bravely, read good books so that your motivation level is high and you can conquer it asap.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 AM

83 posts, read 295,386 times
Im quite shocked to read about those of you who wasnt told any information on blod clotting and not given blood thinners. Thats disgusting.
When i was in hospital i was giving stockings for both legs that apparently prevent clotting and after i left hospital was given alot of asprin to take one a morning. And ive been fine.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM

45 posts, read 297,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
Im quite shocked to read about those of you who wasnt told any information on blod clotting and not given blood thinners. Thats disgusting.
When i was in hospital i was giving stockings for both legs that apparently prevent clotting and after i left hospital was given alot of asprin to take one a morning. And ive been fine.

Hi Newly!
Hope you are doing great! I have a history of blood clots (DVT) in the leg I broke so when I had surgery they ended up putting a filter in my main artery. I was already on blood thinners when I had the accident so they took me off them for the day and then did the surgeries the next day. I am now only on a low dose of blood thinners (3 mg a day). Clots are absolutely a risk when we have a broken leg like this and have surgery and then all the inactivity.

Linda

Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 AM

45 posts, read 297,400 times
Well.....
I went to see my doctor for my 1 month post op appointment after having the screws removed and my x rays look fantastic! She said my leg is pretty much completely healed now....JUST ONE MONTH after surgery! I am so thankful and my limp is almost totally gone since surgery and before surgery i walked around with a huge limp that i thought would never go away. I am almost pain free most days and the swelling is really almost not there anymore. I am so excited! I feel great! Still walk slowly and all but I am very happy with the progress at this point. I just started sriving a few weeks ago for the first time since my accident so it is so nice to feel that freedom again. life is going pretty good!

Linda

Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 PM

26 posts, read 243,633 times
It's been a while since I have been on this site. I have been enjoying my new found independence now that I have permission to drive! 10/1/09 will be 13 weeks since my accident/surgery and I took my first steps on 9/26/09. It was awesome! I walked around (limped around) my house for a couple of hours and it felt so good to have a coffee cup in one hand and a magazine in the other - FREEDOM! I am mostly using just one crutch and still use my aircast and both crutches when I have to walk long distances. My OS said at my 9/17/09 appointment that the best thing I can do is just walk and walk and walk and walk, it will help my bones compress. I uploaded pictures of my 9/17/09 x-rays on my profile (not too clear as they were taken with my camera phone), but I was thrilled to see that my fibula is almost 100% healed and that I have a lot of callous growth in my tibia. OS doesn't think my tibia will be 100% healed for another 4 months or so, and he also mentioned that 20% of the spiral/tib fractures are non union meaning the tib won't every come together....but he seems to feel pretty comfortable saying that mine will....let's hope so!!! I also cannot believe that some of you were not told about the risk of blood clots! I was on baby aspirin for 60 days after surgery, and the risk of blood clots was one of the main reasons that I was instructed to be in bed for 4 weeks post op for 23 hours a day with my leg elevated. Michele53 I am so glad that you are OK!!! And, Linnj68 that is great news about how you are getting around! Hooray! I love this site and have a feeling I will continue to check this site and post updates on my healing and read about all of you and your continued healing and hopefully be a resource for those of you who find yourself with a fracture. Happy and healthy healing to all!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Well i had physio today, nearly fainted which was a bit worrying, the physio said i need more sugar in my blood as i went pale, dizzy and couldnt see properly. Soon passed though.
I hit 120 degrees in my knee so ive achieved full movement. Yippeeee!
I walked around the gym with one crutch, minimal pain, just alot of pressure on my foot! Totally not used to it.
PT had me walkin up the walking bars without holding on, ive got a limp. Which i said wasnt becuase it hurt but because i dont feel confident and feel like theres not enough strength in my leg to not limp, which she explained will dissapear over time. So im now allowed to walk around the house with one crutch when tolerated.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
m2y

28 posts, read 117,064 times
Wow! How wonderful it is to hear all the positive gains that so many of us have made in the last little while. I too am now crutch & aircast free. I am walking freely around, albeit with a limp, but I am happy to experience the freedom. I have even gone hiking (very mild walking trails) in the woods and even gone dancing! I never thought I would be here in my darkest moments, and I had quite a few of them. I am thankful for so many things, including this site. I too will be checking in frequently to see how you all are doing. Happy healings to all!!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2y View Post
Wow! How wonderful it is to hear all the positive gains that so many of us have made in the last little while. I too am now crutch & aircast free. I am walking freely around, albeit with a limp, but I am happy to experience the freedom. I have even gone hiking (very mild walking trails) in the woods and even gone dancing! I never thought I would be here in my darkest moments, and I had quite a few of them. I am thankful for so many things, including this site. I too will be checking in frequently to see how you all are doing. Happy healings to all!!

That is fantastic news!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness