Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 PM

32 posts, read 148,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinara View Post
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how long after physical therapy started were they able to walk? I've started my own pt at home (can't afford professional pt). I've looked up pt on the web and it seems to help with the tightness quite a bit but walking motions on a walker with some weight on my foot tells me I may have a long way to go. I'm scared I'm not going to be able to walk for a long time!

Had surgery Dec 9, 2009.
Cast nwb 6 weeks
Cam boot for 2 weeks nwb (per OS instructions)
Cam boot 50%, start pt, then progress to fwb in 4 weeks (per OS instructions)

Its been one week since I started my own pt. Maybe I'm worrying too much. Does anyone have any experience with my type of injury?

Thanks
I started walking with a cane after 3 weeks into my PT (12 weeks NWB Tibia fracture). I have seen a great deal of progression as a result, but still have a long way. My leg is not bending as it should and I go 3 times a week. I was with a walker for almost 4 months. I guess I am looking at a few more weeks of PT.. Please do everything possible to go to PT. It is part of your recovery not attending may delay your progress. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hunter View Post
Hi I'm new here

On Oct 28 2009 I slipped off a tree stand ladder and exploded my tib / fid pilon fracture. ext. fixator 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 13 screws. Second surgery Nov.19th plates & screws first x-ray Jan 5th still non-weight bearing . Next os apt. March 2nd. I'm using a bone stimulator ( Smith & Nephew ) 20 min a day no cast I'm in a boot.
I'm a 52 year old non smoking male excellent physical condition. How long does this take? Thanks
I fell Sept and surgery Oct. and still recuperating. (7 screws and plate left tibia) My doctor had me NWB for 12 weeks after the surgery to insure that the bones were healed. From my experiences and almost going into my 5th month it will be a few more months till I am fine. I was using / hopping with a walker 4 months. Started as an out patient Jan. 20 for PT and on the 3rd week was trained how to use cane. I still have difficulty since my leg feels tight and cannot bend 90 yet... Most folks who have suffered such an injury say that it takes a long long time for 100% healing. Once again everyone is different. As for me, I wanted to rush this process, but no way. You have to be patient and follow doctors directives. Yes, almost entering 5th month and it seems like an eternity. As time goes on you will be more independent and that makes a huge difference. I am now able to bath, go up/down stairs and I even drove myself to the doctors today. That is a milestone !!!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 91,625 times
I have just crossed the three week mark since my tibial plateau fracture/surgery. I am "strict" (as my OS said) NWB for 12 weeks. I started PT last week and today was my third trip. The physical therapist gave me 11 different NWB exercises to do to strengthen my leg. My leg feels so much better since beginning PT. I can bend my leg a little bit further than 90 degrees and the tightness has decreased since I started. I would definitely try to find a way to get to PT because not only did it help me physically- but mentally as well. Good luck with your situation. In a few short weeks I will be paying for my PT visits out of pocket.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 58,559 times
OK tib/fib veterans, I am again posting regarding my husband. His fall and injury were on Nov. 12. It has been almost 13 weeks. He is walking with a cane per OS orders.
Had follow up visit last week and got excellent report.
But, he still complains a lot with pain. He says it aches. This is almost an every day thing. How long is this hurting going to go on? Will it EVER quit hurting?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 AM

51 posts, read 230,137 times
Not sure how long it will last. i'm 4.5 months out and still have pain - the aching. It gets a tiny bit better every day but its still there.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 43,102 times
Default Yep

[SIZE=3]broke my FIB/Tib (Fib 2 places ) got 15 screws and a plate, broke it on 16th of Jan. 2010 at 2:30 pm, had surgery at 11:00pm was home the next day by 1:00pm(the 17th) Told Doc I was going home , I hate hospitals.. Took the kids roller stating and fell.....DUMB....Had a split on for two weeks went to the Doc , he put on a air cast said do not put weight on the leg.It has now been a little over three weeks (total) not much pain just a little, stop taking pain med last friday. Just need for this thing to hurry up and heal, I hate sitting around, Still got alot of swelling.Went back to work a week after it happened, sit behind a desk. for tyhe first two weeks the pain was horrible was eating pain meds like Tic-Tacs

How much longer do I have before I can walk.............??? hoping Doc lets me start walking at next app. in 3 weeks..
[/SIZE]

Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 43,102 times
Default Yep

[SIZE=3]broke my FIB/Tib (Fib 2 places ) got 15 screws and a plate, broke it on 16th of Jan. 2010 at 2:30 pm, had surgery at 11:00pm was home the next day by 1:00pm(the 17th) Told Doc I was going home , I hate hospitals.. Took the kids roller stating and fell.....DUMB....Had a split on for two weeks went to the Doc , he put on a air cast said do not put weight on the leg.It has now been a little over three weeks (total) not much pain just a little, stop taking pain med last friday. Just need for this thing to hurry up and heal, I hate sitting around, Still got alot of swelling.Went back to work a week after it happened, drove myself with the left leg... sit behind a desk. for tyhe first two weeks the pain was horrible was eating pain meds like Tic-Tacs

How much longer do I have before I can walk.............??? hoping Doc lets me start walking at next app. in 3 weeks..
[/SIZE]

Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM

16 posts, read 91,625 times
Sirdinomoore-

I broke my tib/fib the same day as you. Not sure what the details of your injury are, but I too had surgery (6 screws, a plate, and a rod) and I am non weight bearing for 12 weeks pending my bones heal nicely. I hope that you do not have to wait 12 weeks too. From what I am told from the OS and the PT this is a long road to recovery. Be patient and good luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:17 PM

51 posts, read 230,137 times
Seems like those who have plates sometimes have a longer NWB period than those with rods and screws (just from what I've read here)? Would imagine that maybe adds about another 2 months to the recovery time? I had the rod and screws and was NWB for 6 weeks. What I've been seeing most recently in posts is 12 weeks for those with the plates. My OS told me the recovery time for my injuries would be 4+ months ... and that's a teenager healing time (so at 55 that was a bit depressing to hear). That was probably the hardest thing to hear the day after my surgery. Once you are weight bearing and starting to get mobile again the time does start to go a bit more quickly. Like Oneleghopper the biggest milestone was being able to get behind the wheel and drive myself again. What a wonderful feeling that was! Sending wishes for the quickest healing for everyone.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankletwister View Post
Seems like those who have plates sometimes have a longer NWB period than those with rods and screws (just from what I've read here)? Would imagine that maybe adds about another 2 months to the recovery time? I had the rod and screws and was NWB for 6 weeks. What I've been seeing most recently in posts is 12 weeks for those with the plates. My OS told me the recovery time for my injuries would be 4+ months ... and that's a teenager healing time (so at 55 that was a bit depressing to hear). That was probably the hardest thing to hear the day after my surgery. Once you are weight bearing and starting to get mobile again the time does start to go a bit more quickly. Like Oneleghopper the biggest milestone was being able to get behind the wheel and drive myself again. What a wonderful feeling that was! Sending wishes for the quickest healing for everyone.
Congratulations, I am sure driving felt great. I know that for me it felt like I was finally seeing that yes, I was healing especially after being NWB for over 12 weeks. Amazing how details that one does not pay much attention NOW are major in ones life such as going up/downstairs, bathing oneself, weather (snow or ice prohibition)standing and walking... I have learned to be humble and have respect for those folks who are disabled more than ever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness