Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 PM

30 posts, read 88,462 times

Advertisements

Today was 5 weeks after my break and I went to the clinic. They removed my cast and gave me an Air Cast ankle stirrup. This is basically two formed plastic plates (one on either side of the ankle) held in place by Velcro. I was expecting a sort of plastic walking cast, but this is much less imposing.

According to the technician, there isn’t much of a danger of my bones separating but there is still a risk of infection. The wounds are almost completely healed, but there is still some ‘leakage’ from a small area and I was told to keep it dry.

The air cast is a big improvement, comfort wise. I can flex my ankle back and forth, but movement is limited by the swelling. A guy I was talking to at the clinic told me the swelling subsides fairly quickly once the cast comes off, especially if you flex your ankle back and forth as they suggest.

Apparently I am still non-weight bearing for another 2 weeks. Then I can apply 25% of my weight, though it is unclear to me how I am supposed to know what 25% feels like.

Still, it’s nice to pass this milestone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 AM

76 posts, read 415,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyquill View Post
Thank you for the info!

I have one more question...

I have tickets to see Lady Gaga on the 21st. (four days after my surgery)
If I go in a wheel chair, you think it'd be an okay idea to go?
I've had these tickets for 8 months; bad timing is bad.
I may post-pone my surgery date until the day after.
Ortho tomorrow afternoon.
Hope all goes well.
I'd say "GO" --- you can always leave. I went to a concert using a wheel chair and it was fine. It wasn't 4 days after a surgery but I'd say play it by ear.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM

This thread seems to have died, but I'll post an update. I started walking with crutches a bit today. I use both feet + 2 crutches so I put about a third of my weight on my bad leg. Its a lot easier to move around than 2 crutches one leg, but it is a bit painful.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,863 times
I had an open reduction and internal fixation surgery Oct 2009, plates and screws on both sides of right ankle. Last three days I have a loud bone popping with each step? Help me understand if this is normal or do I seek doctor. Anita

Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
It isn't normal. It might also not be something worth worrying about. Or it might be important. You'd really need to ask the doctor you were seeing when you had the surgery.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,863 times
Thank you, in the meantime I went back in the boot cast, unfortunately it doesn't stop the popping or the pain. Will consult doctor Monday. I am glad I found this site, I feel like those that have not been through this think it is in my head.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM

I would hobble to a doctor as soon as possible. It may be nothing, but if it is something, walking on it will make it worse.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Just in case anybody is out there, I have been walking with crutches for almost a week now. Things improved faster than I would have expected. It sort of feels like my fracture is itchy, which is kind of weird. So long as I don't twist my ankle I have little pain, except my sole, which probably isn't used to being walked on, and my Achilie's tendon. Both are minor issues.

I bought a car to temporarily replace my pickup truck, which is too high, and too big to wrestle with - plus it has a standard transmission.

I drove into work solo. This was actually pretty tiring mentally. I guess it isn't just my sole which got used to not having to do anything. I spend a few hours at work and drove back home, stopping at the mall on the way. All in I probably walked a couple miles.

Its nice to be mobile!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Exactly 8 weeks after the break and I went to see the surgeon. He wrote a script for physiotherapy and confirmed that I am ok to walk with only 1 crutch (this makes carrying stuff *much* easier). I can sleep without my aircast stirrup, which is great news, but I have to keep it on while walking for another couple weeks.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,819 times
my husband basically crushed his tibia and fibula just above the ankle when he was pinned between a pole and forklift a few days ago. the doctor surgically did a external fix and then hubby goes for a more permanent fix after the swelling goes down. i am having the problem right now because hubby is a hoarder and now it is up to me to get the house in order for him to come home. i can understand the emotionally problems that go on for the people that have the injuries but what about the people that have the position of caregiver to a hoarder? we have problems too and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness