Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 53,426 times

Advertisements

I am new to this form, I broke Fibula, Tibia, sprial fracture and shattered my ankle the day before Christmas falling down my backyard stairs. I knew I did something bad soon as I fell and strted screeming for my husband. I had surgery, my doctor put a plate and pins in my ankle hurts and my knee still hurts the worst. I tried to put weight on the leg two weeks ago and my ankle swelled up and turned black and blue. so I went back to resting and I am just now putting tiny bits of weight on it.
my question is does anyone else have bad knee and ankle pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdonna View Post
I am new to this form, I broke Fibula, Tibia, sprial fracture and shattered my ankle the day before Christmas falling down my backyard stairs. I knew I did something bad soon as I fell and strted screeming for my husband. I had surgery, my doctor put a plate and pins in my ankle hurts and my knee still hurts the worst. I tried to put weight on the leg two weeks ago and my ankle swelled up and turned black and blue. so I went back to resting and I am just now putting tiny bits of weight on it.
My mom broke her tibia last August. She was non weight bearing for 4 months. She still has pain in her knee and leg if she walks on it too much and it swells occasionally but she was told by her orthopedis that it can take up to 1 year before she starts to feel like her old self. She was in rehab for a month and out of work 5 months. She is back at work and uses a cane but she had to use a wheel chair for the first 4 months then a walker. It takes a long time to heal. My suggestion is to walk using light pressure like the tips of your toes and use a walker if you have one and rest with your leg elevated as much as you can. Icing it can help. Are you taking any anti-inflammatory or pain pills? Feel better.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 53,314 times
I was skiing and broke by leg at the end of January in France, a spiral fracture of the tibia and fibula which were fixed with two plates and 14 screws, I also fractured my fibula just below the knee and that has been left to heal. I have been fitted with a boot, which is great because it's lighter than a cast and I can take it off to shower, yay I can't tell you how great that feels! I've been to see an OS in the UK, and have to go back every 4 weeks, I'm hoping that when I go back at the end of March I will be able to start doing a little weight bearing on it, it's seriously hard work trying to get around on crutches, especially managing stairs! I've found it really hard to stay positive, it's really difficult to go from being independent to being competely dependent, I will never forget how good it felt to be able to get out of bed and get to the loo myself, I will never forget the pain it entailed either! On the upside, if I ever needed reminding, I have been reminded that my husband is fab, my kids are typical teenagers (not quite so good), my family has rallied around and I have wonderful friends!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 53,301 times
January 4 I suffered a comminuted fracture of my tibia and fibula. I was in the hospital from Friday morning to Monday night because of the need for antibiotics. My tibia was in 8 pieces, fibula in 3. Because the fracture happened so close to my ankle, they could not put a rod in place. I have plates on both bones and screws all over the place, including what seems to be 5 just in my ankle alone on one side. I have a bone graph in my tibia. In all, I had 47 staples that were removed at week 3. I have not been able to start PT because there is no weight bearing. I was given the normal stretches to keep my ankle active and my achilles tendon nicely stretched.

Yesterday I went to the doctor (3rd followup) and he was rather impressed with my progress after just 9 weeks. I get to start PT in 3 weeks and go back 3 weeks after that to see the progress and determine whether I can start driving. I have experienced very little pain since the accident. I have some discomfort and there are times when I have stretched the wrong way and it is painful but I have never really experienced the pain I have read about on forums and seen people experience with a break like this. I am concerned a nerve will suddenly kick in and start screaming at me.

I don't have an exciting story about my break. I jokingly say I broke it trying to rescue orphans from a burning building but in actuality, I slipped on black ice going down some stairs early in the morning. I went one way and my leg went another. Fortunately for me, my apartment is right next to the gym at my complex and people already working out saw me fall and called 911.

How painful is PT? I have a high tolerance for pain, which completely baffled the hospital staff and doctor because I wasn't taking anything for pain by the 2nd day after surgery. Even when I was waiting for the ambulance to arrive, I wasn't hurting that much as long as I didnt move it. Someone said I might have bee in shock but the paramedics said I wasnt showing any other signs of shock.

I keep hearing and reading horror stories about how painful PT is and I am trying to prepare myself for it. And by the way, anyone that is able to use a bone stimulator for healing, I highly recommend it. According to the doctor, it has helped make a huge difference. I am where other patients would be at 4 or 5 months.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdonna View Post
I tried to put weight on the leg two weeks ago and my ankle swelled up and turned black and blue. so I went back to resting and I am just now putting tiny bits of weight on it.
Sorry that you suffered this horrible break -- it sounds really bad. Since it was barely over two months ago, your bones are still healing -- it will take a LOT of time before things are back to normal -- it happens very gradually.

Are you still going to follow-up appointments? I'd follow what your doctor says, regarding weight-bearing activities. Have they recommended PT?

I had a very simple broken fibula one year and recovered from that. Then I was hit by a car -- nothing was broken but my legs were swollen for weeks after that, and one of my kneecaps kind of "shifted" (but not permanently). I couldn't kneel or squat (like when gardening) for about a YEAR after that. And now, even years later, I still sometimes feel aches from the simple leg break.

For anyone who's suffered ANY type of broken leg, I found this site to be very helpful: mybrokenleg.com. In it, people keep very detailed diaries of what they went through and how long their recovery took. You can use the search function to look up people who have had your exact type of break and repair.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 53,277 times
Default tibia fracture

Hello everyone can anyone please tell me about how they felt after having surgery on there tibia. I have a spiral fracture of the tibia right leg and right now my leg is in a full cast but my surgery is on Friday and I am unsure of what is going to happen to me after surgery and how long will it take for my leg to heal. I am 38 years old if age matters and I can not take a lot of pain due to I had surgery on my back over 10 years ago. Can anyone please give me any timeframe for healing time? Also how they felt after surgery? Thank you.......

Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrietayman View Post
Hello everyone can anyone please tell me about how they felt after having surgery on there tibia. I have a spiral fracture of the tibia right leg and right now my leg is in a full cast but my surgery is on Friday and I am unsure of what is going to happen to me after surgery and how long will it take for my leg to heal. I am 38 years old if age matters and I can not take a lot of pain due to I had surgery on my back over 10 years ago. Can anyone please give me any timeframe for healing time? Also how they felt after surgery? Thank you.......
I am surprised they are wiaitng so long to do surgery. When my mom broke her tibia plateau they operated next day. They told her it had to be done immediately plus the bone shattered like glass. She felt some relief after the surgery but she was still in alot of pain. She did not get a cast she got one of those bledsoe braces that move and bend. She spent 3 days in the hospital then went straight to rehab and stayed their 1 month, had PT but limited becasue whe was not weight bearing. She broke her tibia last August and was allowed to put some weight on it by November and by December she could put full weight. She walks with a cane now and has aches and pains but they aren't as bad as they were 5 months ago. She's back to work, driving, going up an down stairs ect... Some people heal faster than others. I cannot tell you a time frame because each person and doctor is different, but my mom's doctor said at least 6 months to 1 year before she will get back to her old self (she's 68)

Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 60,004 times
lots of info.

here is my story.

in china riding a motorcycle a driving instructor in the car they use to teach driving broadsided me and broke my left leg just above the ankle. both bones. it was a clean break they said. i heard the bones break it sounded like a couple of firecrackers.

they take me to this hospital and do surgery in less than an hour. i got the big bone fixed and a metal plate with nine screws in my leg. the doctors here tell me i have to stay in the hospital for 2 or 3 months. i think not! anyway i stayed for 17 days and i could not take the hospital conditions any longer. not much pain. pain meds were given i just used them to pass the time. the small bone they did not repair and it seems to have begun healing but i can feel the side of my leg and its sticking out. they said it did not matter. the xrays show its not end on end but its not over lapped. at about 5 weeks i started walking on it a little. i have the boot that inflates to provide support. i was ok for a few days and now i think i broke lose the healing that had taken place. i can walk with a small very small amount of pain. but i can feel the bone with the metal plate clicking. sorta like when your joints pop. my ankle and knee pop and the bone seems to pop too. i can not know which is which popping.

i just wanted to ask if i keep walking will it heal with out trouble later? the metal plate is holding. the boss has ordered me to return to work. i have a wheel chair and the boot i can walk and i can do ok. but i just worry walking on it will damage my future.

thanks laid up in china

Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM

My Nephew broke his tibia last Sunday playing soccer, he's 14. Luckily it was a clean break and no surgery was needed. He has a cast and cannot put weight on the leg yet. He's in school and uses crutches. He said he has minimal pain, I guess because he's young. 10 weeks before he can play any sports again.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 53,212 times
Hiya guys, I'm new to this forum but on the 15th Feb I was in a car accident and I broke my L5 vertebrae (lower back) and broke my tib and fib halfway down, it was a clean break and they operated on it the next day - I've got 6 screws and a nail through my tibia (basically a metal rod running straight through my leg) I had morphine for about 2 days and my leg was hugely swollen - I then moved onto tramadol medication - which gives you the craziest dreams btw! I was off my feet in hospital for 2 weeks and then I got an air cast boot, I relearnt to walk with crutches and by this time wasnt in much pain with my leg. At first the doctors agreed on wearing a spinal brace however after 3 weeks in hospital my x-ray showed the brace wasnt helping and my spine was curving, I then had an operation to cement and screw my back upright (sort of like an internal brace) the pain from the operation was the worst i have experienced (I was literally screaming in agony for the first two days!!) It was predicted Id be up the next day but i was screaming just from being shifted - everyones different so the best thing to do is stick to your guns and if its hurts - dont do it!! Then we were back to learning to walk again 3 days later with crutches and a week later I finally got to go home. I came home on tramadol and had it prescribed for ten days I've been home a week tomorrow but I stopped taking the tablets the day before yesterday and I feel fine, get a few twinges at the break but I hope it's healing well, I can shuffle along without crutches (I started practicing a little every day as I didn't want to have the boot off and get a limp!) I'm only doing as much as comfortable I also find the boot hurts more to walk in with crutches than it does with no boot and crutches as it feels like it puts pressure on the break! It's 5 weeks since the accident, I just want to walk again now!! This has been the worst experience of my life but I have learnt so much - only you know your own pain and what's comfortable, I read that walking on the break is good as it puts pressure on the break and pushes it back together. I've also been taking multivitamins and calcium supplements. I've never looked back on the accident - I could have died and feel so lucky to have only suffered from these injuries, sometimes it's hard to stay strong and look ahead but I will walk properly, I'm very determined. Next year I will have to have the stuff removed from my back and fingers crossed we will be healed, I have to take 6-8 weeks taking it easy but we will have to see how good I am at doing as I'm told! I don't know if I'm being insanely naive but hopefully I will get my boot off next week so fingers crossed were healing well stay strong everyone - we will get better xx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness