Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,343 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, im new on here, just found it after searching for people going through similar stuff.. I was in a motorcycle accident in early july 2014 and had a external tib and fib fracture along with alot of tissue loss. they had to send me to a hosp almost 2 hours further out because the docs at the one i was at couldnt handle how much trama my leg had and would have had to amputate my lower calf. but had a bunch of debreivment surgeries and an external fixater for two weeks after the accident. then after two weeks they put a internal nail or rod with two screws on top and two on bottom and a block inside part of my of my tib and will need a bone graft next month. they left the fib broken as is and said its not nessesary to fix because i dont need it so it will heal as is still broken.. I also had a free flap over my shin where they took a big peice of my thigh to cover my shin area because of loss of tissue and skin there. and also multiple skin grafts. im new to all this and im an active person before all this and in law enforcement so i have a active job. so iv been very depressed since all this and reading this forum has helped a bit and given me some hope. i just feel like im never going to be normal again. im back to work but at a desk. i try to exercise and all to make my leg strong to hold and balance my weight but i feel like im at a plateau. i was in the hospital for a month after surgery with my leg elevated and drainage pump so my leg got very weak. after the third months i was on crutches for a couple weeks then a cane, im still using my cane now when not at work to help with balance but at work i walk with a major limp and my bad leg hurts at the calf and ankle.my leg can hold me while standing but not strong enough to bend my knee while walking on on its own. also when i liift my foot my foot pushes down and hurts like my muscles are contracting hard and tight, but its only after standing. while standing i have no pain, its when i lift up that hurts or during walking the pressure hurts my leg and ankle. i also have foot drop which im told should go away because my muscles are firing and my foot moves up about an inch, im told its prob scar tissue in the joint but it doesnt seem to be getting better. sorry for typos and all. im on my phone. anyone thats had similar to me how long did it take before you could walk pretty normal again and be able to job and be active again? Im hoping some of the pain will go away after my bone graft in dec. i have pics of the lef during the hosp if it helps. thank you all. reading all your stories have helped me have faith that i will be able to keep my career and be active again but just takes time. any advice on what to do to help with walking and balance and foot drop issues are appricated, iv been going to PT but its only once a week and they dont have many answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 11,597 times
Just thought I'd take a moment to chime in here- I broke my Tib/Fib on Memorial day while working on a home improvement project, and had to have a Stryker T3 Tibial nail and 3 screws installed.

I searched for other peoples' stories, myself, because what else can you do when you're laid up and hurting- we just want it to be over with, right?

This is how my injury and recovery went down, and it's a pretty decent outcome for me- if you're reading a thread like this with a freshly broken leg, take heart- it's not always as bad as it seems.

First off, I'm pretty lucky to have a naturally high pain tolerance. I don't remember it myself, but my wife told me that the attending nurse after my surgery told someone on staff over the phone that I was lying when I reported my pain level at a 3 or 4, and to give me a morphine pump anyways. That was fine with me- I couldn't sleep, and was really bored, so at least I got to take some drugs as entertainment. It probably masked the pain, too- I guess that's why they give it to you, after all is said and done.

I went home the next day in a plaster/ACE bandage splint. They had me on Oxycodone, and I hated it- I'd take it, and then immediately go into a semi-coma. That lasted a few days. After that, I was lucky enough to be an IT person, so I could work from home with Hydrocodone, and only use the oxy to sleep. About two weeks later, they cut off the splint and put me in an air-cast (And I was overcome with joy.)

I did not get the Oxycodone refilled. They offered it, but I didn't want it. I did get one refill of the Vicodin- if you can avoid it, don't do that. All in all, I took 30 Percoset, and 120 Vicodin. The Percoset was easy to stop, but the Vicodin made me feel like I had a bad case of the flu for three or four days after stopping it, and nobody needs that in addition to a busted leg. Throughout everything, my greatest cause of pain has been the ligament in my knee, where they cut it to insert the Tibial nail. That's still tender even now.

I spent three days off work, another 9 days working from home, a week in a wheelchair followed by another week working from home when I realized I had pushed it too much, and then about a month in a second-hand 70's torture wheelchair my Dad had. I never let anyone help with anything but doors, and I think that makes a difference. I'm terrible at crutches, and just fall down when I try to use the things, hence the wheelchair.

I built up my upper body by putting in 3-4 miles a day wheeling through the hallways at work, but I pulled my triceps a bit doing that, and asked the surgeon for a better option at week six. He got me a knee-walker, and that thing is now my favorite little scooter in the world. I might keep using it even after I'm fully healed- I can go 10-12 mph on it, and it's just plain fun. If you can get one, you should- and definitely get a horn for the sucker, just because.

So, at week eleven (IIRC) now, I'm getting around pretty good with the scooter and a nice cherry-finish cane from Harvy canes (and they earned that endorsement- I paid $50 for it, and then it got broke the first night I had it, which had nothing to do with them, and they replaced it even after I explicitly told them it was not their fault that it got busted. I only asked them to help me out with a replacement because the first one was really nice, and I was broke.)

Today was a wonderful day- after several weeks of PT, showing that I could support myself on one foot with my bad leg, and overcoming a couple of terrible days earlier this week when I overdid myself a little at my mother-in-laws funeral, I got the ok to drive my car and ditch the air cast. Right now, I have a nice tight ACE bandage on, and that's providing a lot of warmth and comfort, without that oddly bulky-yet-airy cast.

They told me it would take a year, and I still kind of believe that, but it's more like eleven or twelve weeks when it starts getting better really fast. Just listen to your doctors, and press yourself to do what they tell you to. Doing too much or too little will mess up the process, and make it take even longer. Don't be afraid to ask if you can do more in PT, or ask the surgeon what is possible. They like to see you fight and heal quickly, so they'll push you if you ask them to. If you do more than they allow, it's probably gonna hurt- a lot- so don't do that.

Anyhow, I can see the clearing at the edge of the woods, now, and I figured I'd share my experience. It gets a lot better every day now that I can put weight on the leg, and I can see myself being back to some kind of normal someday now. I might keep the cane close at hand, though- it's kind of awesome in a House sort of way, and also a reminder to be careful.

Well, that's my two cents- I might never see this corner of the net again, but I happened across it this evening, and felt like sharing after hearing all the stories.

Regards.

PS- take Vitamin D, too. Who knows if that was the thing that did the trick for me, but it couldn't have hurt, and the surgeon said I was progressing faster than normal, even though I'm a borderline diabetic.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugger View Post
Following my previous post is there anyone with a similar injury/treatment? What happened to you with eventual walking and particular did the swelling provide an ongoing problem?
It's only about a week after the removal of my weight restriction, but there is some increased swelling. It sounds like you might have something a little more painful than my tib/fib, but just keep everything moving- that's what I have been doing, and it's coming along. You'll get there sooner or later, just like everyone else here- just keep calm and carry on.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normajeanlover View Post
Please help me somebody!!! I broke my ankle in three places. I am 4 weeks post op and I have a plate a screw and 8 pins. The hard wear scares me so bad, I'm having anxiety over it. I am now in a boot which I hate as it's sooooo heavy and I can't sleep at night. I have to wear the boot for three weeks and then go to PT. So all to total 4 weeks in half cast now 3 weeks in boot. This has just taken its toll on me physically, emotionally and mentally. I'm scared to death of Pt, scared of the pain it will bring and scared of breaking my ankle again. I feel like the dr is rushing me with all of this. Please help.

Sharon
There might be some places where this attitude is legitimate, but what I found, personally, is that my surgical team and PT person were both telling me to keep calm and carry on. It takes time and patience, but a good PT person won't force it to hurt IME. If you're overly afraid of making things better, they might push you, I guess- but my PT is just trying to make me show down and do it right- I know from the date here that it's too late to help you (the pros already have, hopefully!) but it's important to note for people who just entered this ordeal that your greatest fear is fear itself.

Yeah, it sucks, and it's going to hurt now and then, but it's nothing to wax poetic about. The nice young lady who does my PT is more concerned about my pain than anyone else is, and she's been trained to help. I had a couple of days when it got rough, pain-wise, after the local temps dropped 30 degrees (F) and I called the orthopedic surgeon's office, and they gently told me to grin and bear it- and they were right- it took a few days to adjust, but it ended up being just fine.

The worst part is long gone- that sucker is already broken, and the road to recovery is paved with the healing feeling- it might be uncomfortable sometimes, but you can take it- and if you can't, you'll be forced to. That's just fine, BTW- a day or two of discomfort is way better than rehab for chemical dependency.

Regards,

Jesse

Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I felt like that too, scared of when the cast would come off. I had to wait three weeks after I broke it before I had surgery (had to get financing), then it was in a splint for three weeks and a cast for six weeks. For one of the weeks before the surgery, I had a plaster cast that was so heavy that I couldn't lift my leg onto the bed without using a belt. After my cast was off, I had trouble with my foot being very stiff and my toes curling under. They gave me a little plastic splint with velcro straps and an air cushion, but it popped off when I walked, so it was useless. I couldn't afford PT so they just gave me stretching exercises. It took a while to be able to walk normally again. The pain of walking on it was nothing compared to the pain right after surgery, you may find that your tolerance for pain has increased. My foot was very swollen for a year after the surgery, the doc said that was normal.

I still have leg pain from the hardware, especially when the weather changes, and it's been 5 years. I had a stress fracture in that foot year before last from spending to many hours on my feet...that time I bought a walking cast on craigslist, one with the pump to make it fit right, and was better in three weeks.

The main thing to focus on is the fact that you will be walking again...we are lucky that we live in a time when they can do surgery to heal breaks that otherwise would never heal.
Wow- I guess I thought my insurance wasn't the greatest, but this makes me thankful for it. I hit my deductible on the ER visit, and everything after that was covered 100%, including PT, unrelated preexisting prescriptions, and mobility devices. Still got stuff to pay for, but they've been very good about everything past that. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out like that for you.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,485 times
It is now 5 months since I had a compound tib fib break. My last post was at 9 weeks where I was still in the boot and crutches but doing hydrotherapy a couple of times a week. At 12 weeks I saw the surgeon and after an x-Ray he said there was enough bone healing for full weight bearing and I could go without the boot and crutches. The x-Ray showed some osteoporosis in the foot due to lack of use. He passed me to the physio for further rehab. My first visit to pt revealed that although the bone healing was Ok I still had 3 months of work to do on the ankle which was still very stiff and sore to walk on. But at least I could walk and carry a cup of coffee for the first time in 12weeks. I worked on the exercises for a few weeks and was able to walk a kilometre or so but not without some discomfort. It then started getting sorer at top front of my foot. Pt then diagnosed stress fractures! So for the last month I have had the foot taped weekly and am keeping off it as much as possible and using crutches again. He suggested I use the boot again but that was not going to happen! Anyway I see him again Friday. It seems we caught the stress fractures early so it won't be long before I am back on the rehab again. Very frustrating as the osteoporosis was obviously a factor. Taking calcium and vit D. this is taking a lot longer than I thought but can only hope that it will eventually heal so I can play golf again. Could still be a few months. keep you posted. I know there are many contributors who are worse off. It does seem that a lot of the healing just requires time and no matter what you do cannot be rushed.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,298 times
I had my surgery 4.11.2014 fracture tib and fib rod plus 2 screws on top 2 at the bottom, Next day after surgery doctor visit me and told me to put 50% weight on I was so scared of it but done it, I had so much pain first 2 weeks but now I am okay Yeastrday 27.11.2014 I had my first appoitment to see doctor he saw my leg told me to put 100% weight on it BUT I CANNOT move my big toe on my foot !!! He said I have stuck nerv he said it will come back later they taken out stiches plaster everything that I Had since surgery and left me with few stickers on that I need to take them all down in 48 hours and have shower with my broken leg is well, they gived me big boot to wear when walking, I read here that I need to move my finger up and down which I am doing. I want to go back to work drive and all omg i have another appoitment in 6 weeks hopefully I will have good movement with my toe how long does it take you lot to drive and have full movement?

Patrick

Old 12-14-2014, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,109 times
Wink Broken Leg

Here is my story when I broke my leg in October/2014.
I tripped over my dog on Saturday October 18, 2014. Went to ER via Paremetics. Had surge on the next day 8am Sunday 19, 2014. Stayed in hospital three days went to Physical Therapy and was there in house for 11 days. Did all PT. Exercises twice a day 2 hous eac session. Before going into PT took my pain medications 30 min before so the pain wasn't too bad. Had Morphine in the hospital before and immediately after surge but soon went to Norco which didn't work for me so ask the Dr. If he would give me T#3's. Which worked like a charm for me. So this is what I have been taking since and doing nicely.

I have been home a month doing my exercises myself using a cane which I was sent home with. Will see the doctor next month at my 12 week checkup. I think I am doing great as I can weight bare and do a walking step with the cane. The PT told me as I went home to do my exercises every day and increase them as I go along. Walking is the best thing you can do for a broken femur and mine was broken in 3 places, put together in surgery with a rod and screws. Was in surgery 45 minutes.

This has been a difficult and painful process as is the first time I've had surgery. In all on my 77 years. I think it has helped me recover as fast as I have being an RN. I pushed myself and did everything asked of me and by the book. I also knew what pain meds worked best for me and I ask the Dr for them.

Wishing the best for all of you BL'ers out there. Keep up the good work and you too will get through this.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
I broke my tib/fib on October 18th. I am in my 10th week. Still NWB, Os said no bone growth at the last appt.
I have a twist fracture (think circular stairs), and titanium rod and 2 screws at the top and bottom. I'm very concerned that there hasn't been any improvement. I've fallen on my bad let 3 times, I'm a clutz on crutches. But my biggest concern is that my foot turns purple, then bluish, and almost black if I'm up on it (crutches) during the
day. The more time I spend up the quicker and worse the color is. This has been happening for at least 5 weeks and doesn't seem to be improving. Is/has anyone experienced this? I keep my leg elevated most of the time for this reason. Not only does it look really bad, but it feels pretty awful when it's full of blood too. Oh and the color returns to normal within seconds after I elevate my leg - doesn't even have to be over the heart.

Anyone?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
I have suffered a compound fracture of my left tibia and fibula due to a motorcycle accident. I have a steel plate and eight screws in my leg. I also had to have a muscle and skin graph down at the ankle. It has been a year since yesterday that the accident occured. I suffer severe pain when attempting to walk. I cannot wear certain shoes because of the bulk of my ankle. And I also can't wear a sock comfortably without it making me walk worse. Most times, it just feels my leg and ankle are going to give. Any suggestions on how to improve my pain and walking??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness