Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 68,494 times

Advertisements

hi guys!

Suffered a midshaft fracture of both my tibia and fibula and now have a titanium rod down my tibia and a handful of screws around my ankle.. My fibula , per my ortho only supports 20% of the weight and was left untouched and still displaced but "knitting well" whatever that means. My question is, I am now approx 6 weeks post surgery and am starting to walk with a 4 pronged cane. Does anyone have helpful hints on how to use it? Esp going up and down stairs. Any exercises that can help make the ankle less stiff with this? Also does anyone have experience with a knee walker? Any advice would be much appreciated. Hope everyone is feeling better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM

24 posts, read 109,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hunter View Post
Hi I'm new here

On Oct 28 2009 I slipped off a tree stand ladder and exploded my tib / fid pilon fracture. ext. fixator 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 13 screws. Second surgery Nov.19th plates & screws first x-ray Jan 5th still non-weight bearing . Next os apt. March 2nd. I'm using a bone stimulator ( Smith & Nephew ) 20 min a day no cast I'm in a boot.
I'm a 52 year old non smoking male excellent physical condition. How long does this take? Thanks
Sorry for late response. I think we're probably in similar physical shape (I'm a nonsmoker, 53, I broke the leg in August at the beginning of a century (100 mile) bike ride when my clip pedals didn't disengage).

I was in a boot within a month of injury, and I started PT within 6 weeks (just light stuff--rotating ankle, plantar/dorsiflexion) along with some core workouts (gluteus bridge and some light workouts with dumbbells in supported position to keep upper body musculature intact). I got permission for pwb in November, more weightbearing in December. Last xray indicated the tib was mostly healed but the fibula had a grey spot where bone hadn't grown back completely.

There's no fast fix to this injury. I had an inlaw go into the hospital for a cancerous prostate at the same time they inserted my plates. He was up and about in a few weeks and felt 100% in two months. Tib breaks just take forever. Do whatever you can within reason to keep blood flow and muscle building, because the strength of your surrounding tissue has a huge impact on how ready you are for weightbearing (at least from my experience).

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 AM

24 posts, read 109,447 times
Default the pain thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebp54 View Post
OK tib/fib veterans, I am again posting regarding my husband. His fall and injury were on Nov. 12. It has been almost 13 weeks. He is walking with a cane per OS orders.
Had follow up visit last week and got excellent report.
But, he still complains a lot with pain. He says it aches. This is almost an every day thing. How long is this hurting going to go on? Will it EVER quit hurting?

What do you do for the pain?
Lebp:
I'm still having some pain six months out. I found it helps me to do some physical exercise as much as possible to increase my own endorphin production. I have been hitting the stationary bike or the pt gym three or more times a week for at least a half hour at a time. Every once in awhile I'll have a momentary pain acceleration (I had a sudden spike when I drove for the first time last weekend--it wasn't deadly but I realized my ankle was in the wrong place). Those are getting extremely rare and everything seems to be in place correctly per my last xray. I'm probably taking one Aleve a day, but I only have problems if I overdo it--if I walk more than I should, or there's snow around (i had a moment on black ice one night--didn't fall but my ankle turned a bit more than it wanted to).

I still have two or three of the really strong painkillers saved from my first weeks, but it's more like insurance--I don't need them anymore but I like the fact that if I did, I still have them.

Good luck with hubby.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 18,990 times
Tracyhaven

I'm using a knee walker and it works great. The good thing about the knee walker is I can wb from my knee up. Sure beats crutches.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 AM

32 posts, read 148,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhaven View Post
hi guys!

Suffered a midshaft fracture of both my tibia and fibula and now have a titanium rod down my tibia and a handful of screws around my ankle.. My fibula , per my ortho only supports 20% of the weight and was left untouched and still displaced but "knitting well" whatever that means. My question is, I am now approx 6 weeks post surgery and am starting to walk with a 4 pronged cane. Does anyone have helpful hints on how to use it? Esp going up and down stairs. Any exercises that can help make the ankle less stiff with this? Also does anyone have experience with a knee walker? Any advice would be much appreciated. Hope everyone is feeling better!
I use the same cane and it has taken me a few weeks to learn how to use it properly. Everytime I used the cane my back was killing me and the PT informed me that smaller steps were better than large ones/ the good foot should always go first and slightly ahead of the bad & cane.Posture is important. Straight and look forward. Also, the cane must be used on the good side. I was using to much pressure on the cane and was limping badly with it and without. Now I have better control as a result of following directives. Back pains are minimal .. I use the cane only for support when using the steps. I hang on to the railing when I can. Hope this helps.. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM

32 posts, read 148,614 times
Hope everyone is healing quickly.

I have a question for those who injured their tiba and had surgery. How long was it before you had full range of yor leg? When did you return to work? As I have shared in recent post, I had surgery Oct 5 WB January 7... Outpatient PT 3 times a week have difficulty with range of motion still. I am getting anxious it has been 5 months I getting better but not where I need to be....
Thanks for sharing....

Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,014 times
Hey, ok so i broke my fib and tib and ankle jan 17, i was skating and fell real bad, so they took me to the hospital and i got the old school cast for about a week. a week later i was in surgery geting a rod and 2 nails or screw ( dont really know if its one or the other) on my lower left leg that went from knee to ankle. the ankle the doc said he just put back in place, so i have a big cut by my ankle cuz it was cut open. after surgey i got a aircast and was told not to put pressure on it at all. i got my sitches out 2 weeks ago and even then i was told not to put pressure on it still, my next check up is late march im never going skating again.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 PM

76 posts, read 415,270 times
It has been 11 months since I broke my tib/fib w/compound fracture right above ankle bone about 2 inches. Bones are FINALLY healed - Ankle is still pretty stiff so this coming Tuesday, I'm having the 2 plates and 15 screws taken out to see if that helps this pain and limp! I hope to someday walk normally like I used to instead of thinking about EVERY step I take! I still don't go DOWN stairs normally (both feet meet on each step) but I can go up normally but I have to hold the hand rail. I am anxious to get on with life and hope this surgery works (and that I don't get blood clots AGAIN -- scariest part). Wish all of you the best in your "journey"

Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 PM

76 posts, read 415,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justice2010 View Post
Hi everyone I just needed to ask a question to the experienced fractured tibia and fibula's. I recently was in a car accident on June 15 and I had emergency surgery the day of and the day after the accident which the doctor placed a rod in left leg with screws. In November I had the screws removed from ankle and I am still in constant pain. My ankle and arch in foot seems to have dropped and stay swollen and where the bone broke I experience a stabbing feeling upon walking. I am also still using one crutch and leg just fills unstable. I am trying to decide if I should try to go back to nursing school or find a new career. Has anyone recovered fully from this to stand working on there feet constantly for 12 hours as an RN would do.
!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:16 AM

189 posts, read 795,528 times
Michele53,
Good luck with your surgery, I hope all goes well for you. It has been about 13 months for me and I am also pursuing HWR of the 2 plates, 16 screws. I truly hopes the HWR surgery helps you and please let us know how you are doing after the surgery. Just a few questions:
How long in hospital?
How long you will be NWB?
How long in the Darth Boot?
Will you be doing PT again and for how long?

Thanks and Take Care,
Nanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness