Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

Gross. I don't think that is clean for you or them. I think cloth would spread stuff like crabs or lice more easily and make for an even more expensive problem than plastic gloves. Buy your own and make sure they are medical grade. You can transfer herpes and all bacteria really easily doing it that cloth way. Herpes can break out anywhere on the body (including hands). Then if you get sores on your hands that leaves you really open to all the other nasty bugs already mentioned. I can't believe they are using cloth when MRSA is such a problem. I would call the health department. I got a body fungus that took FOREVER to get rid of sharing aprons(cloth and did get sweaty/full apron) at a job I had. Talk about a pain in the butt and way to feel gross! At least it was not MRSA! I think if your prison restricts showers they are going to be really prone to bacteria and fungal build ups too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,372 times
Nitril gloves. They don't break easily like latex gloves and very few allergens. They are not expensive if you don't buy sterile ones.
This is what the TSA uses at the airport screening areas.

Industrial Nitrile Gloves

Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Herpes, MRSA, etc.

If I were in your position, I would buy my own latex gloves and a bottle of hand sanitizer.

I can't believe they would cut latex gloves from your budget --- that's a health/safety issue!!! Can't all of you get together and go to the union on this one????

Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
I work in a hospital. I don't touch anyone without putting gloves on.

Just a few things I can think of:...MRSA, Staph, C-diff, scabies, impetigo, pink eye. Protect yourself and buy your own gloves. They aren't that expensive. While these things may not be in sweat, you can pick them up on your bare hands. An N-95 mask is a good idea too.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
While I feel for you having to touch other people that are dripping in sweat; it pretty much comes with the job; so you knew you'd be doing it.

I don't doubt that a few years ago; people did not wear gloves, or were bringing their own gloves in. With every job; you have to buy your own stuff.. clothing, boots, tools.. I would imagine that if you wanted gloves; you should buy your own.

State spending is getting out of hand. We all ***** that our taxes are too high; and it's things like this that do add up. While you say it's a few dollars.. IMO, it's a lot more then a few dollars. I bet the county spends way more then that.

Find boxes of gloves online.. or ask if the prison will take individual orders so that everyone can get a discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I work in a prison in Arizona. Recently they told us they will not be supplying us with latex gloves as they are trying to cut the budget. My question is, what can you catch by touching some one elses sweat?

We are required to pat down inmates before and after recreation. It's been 100+ for 2 straight months now. The inmates come in drenched in sweat.

The prison handed out these crappy fabric gloves (not sure what fabric) but we all had to sign for them acknowledging that we would no longer be issued latex gloves. All I know is the gloves are cheap, and are not water proof.. After pat downs, my hands are covered in inmates sweat..

I'm wondering if I have a leg to stand on here. I want to grieve the prison, but first need to find out what I'm being exposed to just to save them a few bucks..

Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
While I feel for you having to touch other people that are dripping in sweat; it pretty much comes with the job; so you knew you'd be doing it.
I wasn't under the impression that the OP was whining in any way, or expecting any sympathy - just asking a question to determine the risk.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I wasn't under the impression that the OP was whining in any way, or expecting any sympathy - just asking a question to determine the risk.
Look at the date before bumping posts- it's a year old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness