Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Two or Three beers a day bad (alcoholism)?
Yes 24 20.34%
No 94 79.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times

Advertisements

Two or three is enough to send my blood pressure up about 20 points for a little while. When that small "high" wears off it helps me go to sleep, but causes disturbances about 4 hours into the sleep time. Therefore I cut it out on nights when I need to be productive the next day. So it's unhealthy for me, but it might not be unhealthy for you.

The other thing if you drink 3 beers a night, you're adding 450-500 calories to your daily diet. Three glasses of wine = 300-350 calories. For some this can cause weight gain, and if they're already borderline this could cause other problems. If you don't have weight problems you might be depriving yourself of nutrition. You can throw down 3,500 calories a week with more nutritious foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
It's not the amount that matters, it's what happens if you don't drink. Can you go a night or two w/o it? Do you get anxious just thinking about not drinking one night? Are things not 'right" until you've had one beer and started on another? Is it your method of calming yoursself? Your answers to those questions will determine if you have a problem.

Lots of alcoholics fool themselves by saying they enjoy the taste, it makes dinner better, it's good for them, etc. ONly you can decide if you are one of them.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:31 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's not the amount that matters, it's what happens if you don't drink. Can you go a night or two w/o it? Do you get anxious just thinking about not drinking one night? Are things not 'right" until you've had one beer and started on another? Is it your method of calming yoursself? Your answers to those questions will determine if you have a problem.

Lots of alcoholics fool themselves by saying they enjoy the taste, it makes dinner better, it's good for them, etc. ONly you can decide if you are one of them.
She's absolutely right. If not drinking makes you nervous, then you should probably not drink until you can get over that.

Me personally, I try to drink as little as possible now (which doesn't always work given my social circle) because I will get 3 day hangovers and feel like I'm in a fog for a few days. It affects work and daily activities like exercising. I can easily do without the alcohol, but I definitely consider the side effects a "problem" and not worth it.

So just know yourself, but if you do have a problem, you will most likely talk yourself out of it. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
I know I dont have a problem. Sometimes I have I have to give myself a break from beer. The only thing I like more than beer is lemonade...mmm..which I cannot go without.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
2 or 3 beers a day is absolutely good for you.

There's no way an alcoholic or a hard drinker could pull off 2 or 3 beers a day/night.

Alcohol is food and gives the body quite a bit of energy and stimulates the mind.

Here's a link right here to the Professional Alcoholism Expert Fact about how alcoholism is mental/moral/choice/etc. The link goes nowhere. If you want to know about alcoholism, ask an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic. I could never ever drink two drinks and stop. After two drinks, I start to feel good. I drink a few more and before I know it, I'm pourin' them down. Then I black out and the fun really begins. I drink through the blackout and well... 2 or 3 beers? Who in the world drinks 2 or 3 drinks and stops? That's alcohol abuse, isn't it?

My older brother had to take alcohol classes and they put him on to the Marty Mann test. 2 drinks, no more, no less... for 30 days. He asked if he could go dry for 29 days and drink all 60 at the end. That's not the answer they were looking for.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The answer is definitely no. I wish I could say I only drank 2 beers a day. The amount I drink is unhealthy, but it is way more than 2. A small amount of alcohol is actually beneficial for you.
I agree with you. But there are some out there who are hell-bent on putting down alcohol. We in A.A. love alcohol. It at very least sends the right people our way... sometimes. I like to at least meet someone else who has drunk too much too. We can laugh at the sober people. Well... it works better when you're sober too. What I'm saying is we can laugh at the people who can drink half a glass of wine. How do you do that?

Even in A.A., they don't go off about how awful alcohol or alcoholism is. That does absolutely nothing for the recovery there of. If you get drunk and break the law, there are those making big bucks helping you discover the consequences and to help you on with the subsequent retribution.

There's a line in this book called Alcoholics Anonymous that states; "We are careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an institution." (page 103) Why? Because drinkers, for one, will not stand for it.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 PM

512 posts, read 1,564,664 times
I can't drink anyway, I'm allergic to alcohol, I break out in handcuffs.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Drinking problems are mental. Its more about your state of mind when drinking and not drinking.

Bing Health Article - Alcoholism (http://www.bing.com/health/article.aspx?id=articles%2fmc%2fpages%2f1%2fDS0034 0.html&br=lv&q=alcoholism - broken link)

It does not matter if its beer, wine or other.
Drink too much certainly changes your mnd;otherwords its like smoking and a bad habit if done to excess.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
I can't drink anyway, I'm allergic to alcohol, I break out in handcuffs.
lol

Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
A friend of mine said his wife used to have kidney problems quite often. Then she started drinking 2 beers at night before bedtime. Been doing that for over 4 years and hasn't had any kidney problems since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness