U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,445,378 times

Advertisements

I started another thread a week or two ago regarding a brain CT w/o contrast (given for a reason not related to looking for a possible tumor) asking if I could also be secure in not having a tumor since that test reading came out normal. Thanks for the responses I got.

Well, I went to the doctor today and he said we should probably do an MRI just for a piece of mind since I have been feeling weak and having a few head pains the last couple of weeks. He asked if anything else had been happening, and I said that for the last 3-4 years I have been having off and on full-body muscle twitches that only happen just before I fall asleep some nights. I didn't think much about these, because they don't seem like what you picture a seizure being like. But my doctor said that these are seizures (I forgot what certain kind) and said we should definitely do an MRI. Well, now I just feel like utter crap.

How worried should I be? Also, are MRI's a fairly non-difficult thing to go through? I've had a few CT scans in my life, but never an MRI. Thanks.

I'm 29/M by the way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM

19,107 posts, read 29,122,069 times
MRI's are easy peasy. I get them done every year because of a disorder I have, so I've had at least 20 of them done.

My recommendation is to ask if they offer headphones with music, and if they don't, ask if you can bring your own. They usually put headphones on you because it's easier for the technicians in the other room to tell you what's going on. I would also recommend buying an eyemask (ya know, the ones you wear when you go to sleep) and put just a little bit of lavender oil on them. It has a calming effect and will make it easier if you have a bit of claustrophobia.

Basically, you'll lay on a table which will then move into a tube. You may hear buzzing, or loud knocking during the MRI, but it's not a big deal.

I would recommend relaxing and steady breathing along with the music and lavender eye cover.

It's not bad, trust me

Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely take that advice.

Hypothetical question. God forbid the MRI actually find something. Would I be incorrect if I say that it would have to find something very small if the CT (albeit w/o contrast) 3 months ago did not pick up on anything? Or am I wrong? Surely, hypothetically speaking, I couldn't have some huge growth or the CT would have picked it up?

I hate talking about this stuff - especially when it is speculative. I'm usually brave as they come, except when it comes to medical issues. Then, I'm pathetic. I have a relative in medicine who I will be talking to tonight in hopes of comfort. But during the workday/lunch/breaks, all I have is amessage board. So your thoughts, if any, are apreciated .

Old 08-28-2009, 10:21 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,541,488 times
If you are claustrophobic, an MRI is a nightmare. I had to have IV sedation to do the last one. Today, I refused to get into the machine they use for stress tests b/c it was too small-looking.

MRIs are good for soft tissue damage.CTs also look at tissue but in a different way. Maybe someone can explain it better? Good luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 PM

6,640 posts, read 21,211,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you are claustrophobic, an MRI is a nightmare.
Yes, they are. I didn't accept the headphones I was offered and in hindsight they would have made closing my eyes and ignoring the whole process much easier which would have helped me relax quicker.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,328,572 times
I had several MRIs after having a couple of seizures two years ago (had a follow-up MRI about six months ago). While not exactly an enjoyable experience, it's not too bad, either, unless you are claustrophobic. I was happy when it was over, but it doesn't hurt. It's just stressful to be still and enclosed in the dark worrying about what may be wrong.

Try not to worry about things too much, either. There's a good chance everything will be fine. A couple of weeks feeling weak and having headaches isn't that big of a deal, and if you are unlucky and there is something wrong at least you're checking it now and not just ignoring it.

On the seizure thing, a lot of people have them, probably far more than you realize. Having seizures doesn't necessarily mean a big lifestyle change or even that there's anything seriously wrong. There's a lot of medicine available to control them, too, if the doctor recommends going that route. You may want to warn anyone who will see you sleeping that you sometimes have seizures, because even the small ones can look really scary.

So... easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry about it too much, and realize that at least you're seeing a doctor and getting everything checked out, and while anything to do with your head is understandably scary, the odds are still in your favor that you will be fine.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:29 AM

2,175 posts, read 8,768,713 times
This past spring I had some head pain and dizzy spells and loss of equalibrium.
Went to ER.
Had CT and MRI, and ultrasound. All tests came back negative for brain tumors or blocked carotid arteries.
It was an inner ear infection thing that was causing the problem that resulted from my allergies and sinus problems that I let go too long.
I'm fine now.
MRI's don't amount to much. You go into a big tube that is open on both ends and is kind of noisy.
I was given a remote button to push in case I got paranoid about being in an enclosed space.
I just looked out the open end of the big tube and I could see the nurse and open space.
I don't like enclosed places but the MRI didn't bother me.
You will be fine if you look out the open end and see that someone is watching and caring for you.
As far as the full body jerks I have had those occasionally for years. I'm 62 yrs old. And sometimes I get a loud, sudden, scary sound in my head that seems to transmit through my brain.
My doc calls them "sleepstarts" and they don't know why they occur or what causes them but they are not known to be harmfull or a sign of impending doom.

The one thing you don't want to do is try to self diagnose your problem by seaching the internet.
I was convinced I was dying because of all the probable causes that could bring about my symptoms.
I expected the worst and it turned out be a minor thing.
Dont sweat the MRI. Just relax and let the machine do its thing. It won't hurt you.
I dreaded the MRI because of what I had heard about it. It turned out to be no big deal.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,136,063 times
I have had my pain meds cause the twitches as I am trying to go to sleep. When I cut down on the meds, the twitches stopped.
I have also had the head noises when waking up, I think they are called " Exploding Head Syndrome". And no, they are not considered harmful.

I am another who has had MRIs and had no problem with them, but I am not claustrophobic.

I have had the oposite experience than Robhu, when searching the internet for my ailment diagnosis. I have ruled out most things.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,619,233 times
Have you had vaccinations in your life-- especially recently? Vaccinations can cause mental nervous disorders even stroke and death . My cat developed a seizure disorder after I had him vaccinated for Rabies and he now has hyperesthesia which is a seizure disorder. His back and lower back will sometimes twitch and it will look like his fur is rolling up and down his back. But when he has a bad seizure he starts trying to bite off the end of his tail and growls at it. It is REALLY bad. "THANK-YOU medical establishment for your nasty evil marketing schemes on vaccinations and for states for FORCING them on people and their pets" is what I say.

Read my thread on "Vaccinations" to find out that this isn't even a recent discovery. It goes back nearly 100 years! We have all been guinea pigs when it comes to vaccinations and they haven't helped ANY of us.

Anyway, now that you are suffering the possible consequenses.

On the recommendation of my Naturopath (as the vet isn't really fully up on all modes of natural medicine) I have been alternating using the following on my cat: Bioplasma is a Homeopathic(as opposed to herbal or holistic) remedy that says on the bottle is a combination of all 12 Schuessler's Cell Salts for Relief of symptoms of Colds, simple nervous tension and headaches. Their practice uses it a lot with good results for seizure patients. The good news is it will even work or have no effect. My cat had another seizure after 2 weeks on it which was a sign that it was evidently working (sort of like a cleansing reaction getting the last seizure out of his system). There are no bad side effects risks like there are with drugs.

I gave it to him for about 5 weeks, using the recommended dosage for a small child, and he used to willingly take the tiny white sugar pills I'd crushed between two spoons and slid the sweet powder onto his tongue. Then he started to run away when I'd attempt to give it to him so I took it as a sign it was no longer needed. (Animals instinctively know what they need supposedly).

Another thing I've been using since I think my cat's pain is triggered also by back pain from kidney trouble, I use Nerve Sedative Insomnia formula by Quantum Herbal. However Quantum Herbal has another formula called Nerve Restore that I've had good luck with also. I give him 7 drops of the insomnia formula mixed in food throughout the day.It calls for humans to take 10 to 30 drops in water at night. It keeps him calm and still very active and "knock on wood" it has been a long while since he's had a spell where he bites his tail and draws blood so, so far so good.

I wish you the best in any event!

If I were you, I'd exhaust all the natural treatments before trying any of the conventional treatments. If you want, I can send you my Naturopaths' contact info and you can set up a phone appt. If you are not able to make a persona visit. They probably have hundreds of out of area patients who consult by phone appt spread out all over the world. (They have 30 years experience and really know their stuff as they have been helping people get rid of so called "incurable"(by orthodox medicine) conditions for 30 years.

Before having the MRI, I'd want to find out what the range of possible results might be and if any of them are found, what do they propose to do about it and what are the dangers of the treatment and the chances that the treatment could leave you worse off? I'd seek out a good Acupuncturist who has treated seizure patients.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone.

To be honest, I could live the rest of my life with the "as I fall asleep" body twitch seizures. They do not bother me at all, really. I just want to know that I do not have a brain tumor causing them.

It's the 1) new seizure in an adult, 2) recent month or two of weakness, and 3) odd feelings in head that is making me really paranoid. But I will know next week after the MRI and I am done self-diagnosing. I hope for the best. Can't say I'm not worried in the back of my mind though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness