Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Over 50 and I do not regularly take meds. If I need pain-relief, I use aspirin and find that it works quite well. Fatty-fish 2 to 5 times a week keeps me nearly pain free..........and I have a nerve-disease, arthritis and lots of injuries.

I have made a lot of changes to my diet over the years.....tweaking as I go to find what works best. Currently, I eat higher-fat/moderate-protein and no-carbs. Well, I do go days eating nearly no carbs....then I will hit-up some quality carbs when I feel I need them, which varies between every 2 to 7 days. I try to follow the 90% rule.........eat quality foods, at an appropriate calorie-level, 90% of the time.

Cut WAY back on the salt, this has helped a ton...........and not just lowered blood-pressure. I eat plain foods and I really like eating this way, have been doing so for a long time. I regularly eat
things like liver, kidneys, meat/bone-broth/bone-marrow soup, heart, eggs, fish, cheese.

Oh yeah, I do like to occasionally down some delicious hard-liquor.......drinking this goodness
until I am staggering and happy, but not puking and falling-down.

I try to somewhat balance my omega-3 to omega-6 ratios...........eat a lot of saturated-fat to try and limit my omega-6 intake. Mostly stopped eating nuts because they digest so poorly and I would get these crazy fatty-stools when I ate them........coconut is the exception, goes down perfectly.

Oh yeah, I do like to occasionally down some hard-liquor..........drinking until I am staggering and happy, but not puking and falling-down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 04:13 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Over 50 and pretty much prescription medicine free. I do have bad knees so a replacement is on hte horizon but pretty much I take my vitamins and supplements and that's it.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:15 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I'll be 74 in August. No medications.
It's just genetic. I never smoked; that helps.
I look about 60.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:04 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Through birthday No, 68, I took no prescription medicines of any kind; I have since been diagnosed with articular fibrillation and hydrocephalus, now swallowing seven pills every day.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:18 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm curious about whether we have any CD'ers, over the age of 50 who are healthy and take no prescribed medications?

If you're one of them, what's your secret? Lifestyle, exercise, diet, peace of mind?? Pets, love, friendship, spiritual practice??
My grandmother lived to 95 and never took any pharmaceuticals.

My mother is nearing 75 and does not take any pharmaceuticals.

I am over 50 and do not take any pharmaceuticals.

There is no secret. First factor, however, is probably good genes and good luck. Second factor is probably moderation in everything, from managing stress to diet and exercise and all those other things you mentioned.

Minus pets, in our cases.

And I can't say that friendship, or even a relationship with a significant other human being, has been an important factor either, except, well, in moderation.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
61, no meds. Husband is the same.

Happy marriage, love our kids and grandkids, still working, non-smokers, rarely drink alcohol. Strong Christians, involved with our church, lots of friends. I haven't drank soda for 35 years, just good water and black coffee. We try to get lots of fresh air and sunshine. We don't use hand sanitizers or sunscreens.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Me too. Up to age 70 was happily retired and active and fit, no meds. At 70, out of the blue, had three major diagnosed conditions. Now take 9 pills a day. Have lymphoma and leukemia and heart disease. Never smoked. Not overweight. Loved to walk for exercise. No stress or worries. Happily married more than 40 years, with 3 kids and 6 grandkids.
An unhealthy lifestyle may or may not bring disease. A healthy lifestyle may or may not prevent disease.
Now I have to load up on sweets and desserts every day to keep from losing weight. I exercise by walking a slow half mile in 20 minutes a few times a week. I live a day at a time. Happy to be alive and mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Through birthday No, 68, I took no prescription medicines of any kind; I have since been diagnosed with articular fibrillation and hydrocephalus, now swallowing seven pills every day.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-24-2019 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 03:57 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I was very healthy until 50, not overweight and walking 6-10 miles a day. Then I developed HBP, too fast and erratic heartbeat and asthma. Went from 0 to 6 overnight.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Me too. Up to age 70 was happily retired and active and fit, no meds. At 70, out of the blue, had three major diagnosed conditions. Now take 9 pills a day. Have lymphoma and leukemia and heart disease. Never smoked. Not overweight. Loved to walk for exercise. No stress or worries. Happily married more than 40 years, with 3 kids and 6 grandkids.
An unhealthy lifestyle may or may not bring disease. A healthy lifestyle may or may not prevent disease.
Now I have to load up on sweets and desserts every day to keep from losing weight. I exercise by walking a slow half mile in 20 minutes a few times a week. I live a day at a time. Happy to be alive and mobile.
You think loading up on sweets to keep from losing weight is the way to go? Cancer cells love sugar.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
My husband is 73 and takes no prescription medicine. His cholesterol, BP, blood sugar are all on the low end of normal. He takes a multivitamin and a couple other supplements, does our yard work, walks daily. He’ll outlive me for sure. His grandpa, dad, uncle, and aunts all lived well into their 90’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness