Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:24 AM

7,086 posts, read 12,603,396 times

Advertisements

I really don't know if it's a rarity, but I've been wondering how many of us who eat the Standard American Diet and don't exercise are on prescribed medications...just from the posts here, it sure seems as though food choices and exercise lead to no need for prescribed medications.

So far no one's posted who is sedentrary and lives on fast food...

Yeah, I know, our health and lifestyle connection is a no brainer, but it's still interesting to see (and maybe encouraging to others) to see how strongly our choices affect our health. Plus I'm learning from the OP's in ways I can improve my already pretty good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 07:31 AM

5,299 posts, read 5,977,354 times
So perhaps I am among the rare. Late 50's, BMI less than 17. I rarely cook; I live on junk food and am sedentary. I have been known to eat a 1/2 box of cheeze-its for dinner and a quarter pound of chocolate for lunch. BP good, blood work normal, no meds. Had my coronary arteries checked via calcium scoring, just in case. Score was zero. Good genes.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,203,592 times
My father did not have to take anything till 65. Then it was BP pills, diabetes pills, and enlarged pros. pills. I put him on a better diet and now all he has to take is the diabetes meds.

My gram only had to take a blood thinner after 75.

They both ate whatever they wanted but my gram tended to avoid salt. They both ate a lot of veggies. My gram never smoked but for a year and never drank. My father blames smoking for his diabetes..I blamed the pecan sandies,extra pounds, and no exercise (so does his doc)

Sometimes I think its just the luck the genetic draw too. My dad's father did not take anything until he got lung cancer at 80. He was fat and smoked. He blamed working in coal mines as a youth. He was also a veggies lover and had his own garden he worked in till he got sick.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 AM

Yep, genetics has quite a bit to do with it, but maybe healthy lifestyle and exercise more?

My DH and I just had blood panels and lipid tests done (different docs, different labs) and our total cholesterol came out to be 182, him, 183, me. And his genetics include more longevity than my background (his dad lived until 88, his mom is 92). My parents both passed at 80..and they were not big health or exercise advocates, mom smoked until the day she died.

We closely matched on other blood chemistry, too.

I credit our eating practices--mostly vegetarian, whole grains, lots of greens and salads, high fiber, and no soft drinks--daily regular exercise, and some basic mineral and vitamin supplementation..

His doc told my DH he was "genetically blessed." While that's true, I would have loved a tiny bit of the credit for running a healthful kitchen.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 PM

23,001 posts, read 34,309,668 times
I'm 54 and don't take any medication. My mother is 91 and only takes one pill for her thyroid Maybe it's genes, but I do try to eat fairly healthy and exercise some, I walk a lot.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:43 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,039,735 times
Cool This is an excellent topic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm curious about whether we have any CD'ers, over the age of 50 who are healthy and take no prescribed medications?

If you're one of them, what's your secret? Lifestyle, exercise, diet, peace of mind?? Pets, love, friendship, spiritual practice??
Add me to the list of "NO DRUGS"

I'm 71, slim and healthy ~ except for a bad back & bad knees. Having inherited some crappy genes, I've tried to compensate by living a healthy lifestyle ! My blog describes my eating habits. I exercise minimally and get 10 hours of sleep daily I try not to stress out over things beyond my control

Old 09-06-2009, 01:47 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,606,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm curious about whether we have any CD'ers, over the age of 50 who are healthy and take no prescribed medications?

If you're one of them, what's your secret? Lifestyle, exercise, diet, peace of mind?? Pets, love, friendship, spiritual practice??
I'm not over 50, but am closing in on it.

I take no medications, except for ibuprofen for occasional headaches and back aches. My dad is 73, and I don't know if he even takes ibuprofen. Mom, on the other hand, lost a 3+ year battle with colon cancer earlier this year.

I'm not fanatical about anything, though I do watch what I eat, rest adequately, and work hard.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Omaha Rocks, I wonder if you'd like to talk more about your way of eating? You watch what you eat, but what is it that you eat? Mostly vegetarian, low-fat,high-fiber, Mediterranean, or? Do you have certain foods you avoid or eat little of?

Regular exercise? Aerobic? The specifics give us a model to emulate...

Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 4 days ago)

43,415 posts, read 44,127,411 times
My father is 72 and doesn't take medications (except perhaps a multi-vitamin). He exercises 6 mornings a week and then goes for a run (about 5-7 km) after his 1/2 hour exercise warm-up (which includes 50 push-ups). He eats a full breakfast which includes orange juice, bowl of cereal, a salad (tomatoes/cumcumbers) with cottage cheese, 2 slices of toast with margarine (with some low fat cheese) and cup of black tea (without sugar). His normal lunch is 2 pieces of fruit (oranges or apples usually). He eats a full dinner.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Chava61, your Dad sounds highly motivated...was he always this way or was it a recent lifestyle change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness