Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,994 times

Advertisements

Tried all this, plus sweet oil. Woke up this morning in horrible pain, 2 motrin & 2 acetominophen aren't even touching the pain. It's draining a little, still crackling, my neck & whole side of my face also hurts. May have to go to a freaking ER & owe them a few hundred dollars, but no clue how to afford antibiotics. I'm trying to tough it out but w/ one kid home w/ the flu plus a 2 year old after 5 days this is killin me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,830,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Tried all this, plus sweet oil. Woke up this morning in horrible pain, 2 motrin & 2 acetominophen aren't even touching the pain. It's draining a little, still crackling, my neck & whole side of my face also hurts. May have to go to a freaking ER & owe them a few hundred dollars, but no clue how to afford antibiotics. I'm trying to tough it out but w/ one kid home w/ the flu plus a 2 year old after 5 days this is killin me.
KsStorm, If you have an "Urgent Med" type walk-in clinic near you they are usually cheaper then a trip to the ER and they can easily diagnose an ear ailment. Several "Major" pharmacies now offer $4 prescriptions for many common meds including antibiotics.

Here is a list of meds that Wal-Mart offers: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/...tomer_list.pdf

If you explain your $$ situation most Doctors will try to prescribe something from the list. (providing that drug will work for your problem)

Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
irrigating with chamomile tea works wonders also , if you buy something at the store it may have chamomile in it too.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
If you don't have a walk-in clinic of some sort getting into a regular doctor is going to be way cheaper than the ER.

I don't think you can clear this up on your own. It's an infection not just water in the ear.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Looks like I am SOL because I have 2 kids home sick w/ the flu plus the 2 year old. No doc for me.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,585 times
Quote:
Since Sunday my right ear has been ringing, crackling, hurting, can barely hear out of it. I've tried ear drops, peroxide, and antipyrene & Benzocaine otic solution. No luck. I haven't had a cold or congestion, although most of the family has been sick off & on. Any ideas? The crackling & ringing is driving me nuts & we've no insurance, so a doctor is out.
Try to find a non-profit clinic, or visit your hospital, all hospital have sliding fee scales, depending on your income depends how much you will pay. In the hosp where I am if you are at 100% poverty level you pay nothing.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Try to find a non-profit clinic, or visit your hospital, all hospital have sliding fee scales, depending on your income depends how much you will pay. In the hosp where I am if you are at 100% poverty level you pay nothing.
I've never heard that about the sliding fee scales...?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
Tinitus ? It can be caused by a lot of things. I have TMJ and it cracks, so the otic nerve is aggrivated by the noise, and it will ring louder. Some times ringing comes, and stays. Earwax (keeps our ears healthy by catching dust mites, etc) can swell up, and block the eardrum. Some people try a blowdrier on a bearable setting. Sometimes we will hear ringing in our ears that gets louder, and then fades as we listen to it. Blocked estachian tubes can block hearing, too. Constant ringing can come when a loud noise messes something up. Good luck, whatever the cause.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
KsStorm - don't put yourself last, mama. If you neglect yourself and whatever this is keeps getting worse... you may end up in the hospital for real and how are you going to take care of sick kids then? Nip it in the bud while you can. You don't want to mess with this kind of stuff. Plus, you could end up deaf in that ear if you're not careful. I'm hearing impaired (borderline deaf). It's no picnic.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
I've never heard that about the sliding fee scales...?
Its called the Hill- Burton plan, its the result of the Hill -Burton act of 1975. Its federal law
http://www.hrsa.gov/hillburton/ppn0906.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness