Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,998,362 times

Advertisements

What does it mean when a disease is said to 'have a higher incidence of antibodies to herpes simplex virus, hepatitis C virus, and parvovirus B19' Does it mean the person with the disease they're referring to is prone to herpes or hep c? Or does it mean since they have 'a higher incidence of antibodies' to it, they're not likely to get it? I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,028 times
a person having antibodies just means that they have been exposed to said illness at some point, the way I understood from my doctor is that antibody levels indicate your immunity to whatever it was you were exposed to. That probably doesn't make sense but it did when I was thinking it LOL

Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
a person having antibodies just means that they have been exposed to said illness at some point, the way I understood from my doctor is that antibody levels indicate your immunity to whatever it was you were exposed to. That probably doesn't make sense but it did when I was thinking it LOL
So they may be immune to herpes or hep c? Sorry, it isn't making sense to me.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
So they may be immune to herpes or hep c? Sorry, it isn't making sense to me.
I know, I'm sorry - let me see here... I think it means if someone had the antibodies of either of those, they have been exposed and their immune system is less tolerable to them?? I had to do an antibody test for work to determine my immunity to measles, rubella, etc.. and I had all the antibodies present so it mean that I had already been exposed whether to the illness or had the vaccine against it but that I was immune to getting those illnesses. I guess now your situation is a little different. ugh.. sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
What does it mean when a disease is said to 'have a higher incidence of antibodies to herpes simplex virus, hepatitis C virus, and parvovirus B19' Does it mean the person with the disease they're referring to is prone to herpes or hep c? Or does it mean since they have 'a higher incidence of antibodies' to it, they're not likely to get it? I'm confused.
I googled and found this:

Many of us have been taught that immunoglobulin M (IgM) correlates with acute infection, but that is not necessarily the case. Because of its high molecular weight, IgM is found most commonly in the intravascular compartment and is not transported to the fetus. IgM usually becomes apparent early during the course of infection. It has a half-life of 10 days and usually—but not always—regresses to undetectable levels over a few months.
The misconception that IgM is found only in acute infection and disappears within 3 months causes many clinicians to test for it and to misinterpret the results. In many cases, IgM fails to develop after acute infection. In others, it may persist for as long as 2 years after primary infection. It also can be detected with recurrent or reactivated infections.1
Immunoglobulin G (IgG) has a longer half-life (21 days) and is the most common immunoglobulin in humans. It is found in tissues and serum and readily crosses the placenta. It can be detected shortly after acute infection, exhibiting a steep rise and fall over several weeks after primary infection. IgG also is a sign of past infection.1
<H5 style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: -12pt">Telltale sign of acute infection

</H5>It now seems clear that an IgG antibody produced within the first months after primary infection binds to its antigen poorly. After this initial period, the IgG binds with greater intensity (ie, higher avidity) to that specific antigen (virus). Assays that measure this binding intensity are called avidity assays and are expressed as a percentage of IgG bound to the antigen after treatment with denaturing agents.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I know, I'm sorry - let me see here... I think it means if someone had the antibodies of either of those, they have been exposed and their immune system is less tolerable to them?? I had to do an antibody test for work to determine my immunity to measles, rubella, etc.. and I had all the antibodies present so it mean that I had already been exposed whether to the illness or had the vaccine against it but that I was immune to getting those illnesses. I guess now your situation is a little different. ugh.. sorry for the confusion.
Ok, that makes sense. But this sentence seems to contradict it: I think it means if someone had the antibodies of either of those, they have been exposed and their immune system is less tolerable to them

Or does being less tolerant mean it fights them more vigorously? LOL I know, I'm not a quick study.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. But this sentence seems to contradict it: I think it means if someone had the antibodies of either of those, they have been exposed and their immune system is less tolerable to them

Or does being less tolerant mean it fights them more vigorously? LOL I know, I'm not a quick study.

Sorry, you are correct that was MY typo. LOL As i understand my immunity is now stronger meaning I should not medically be able to contract measles, rubella, etc... Medical stuff is so confusing and I work in medical!! LOL

Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I googled and found this:

Many of us have been taught that immunoglobulin M (IgM) correlates with acute infection, but that is not necessarily the case. Because of its high molecular weight, IgM is found most commonly in the intravascular compartment and is not transported to the fetus. IgM usually becomes apparent early during the course of infection. It has a half-life of 10 days and usually—but not always—regresses to undetectable levels over a few months.
The misconception that IgM is found only in acute infection and disappears within 3 months causes many clinicians to test for it and to misinterpret the results. In many cases, IgM fails to develop after acute infection. In others, it may persist for as long as 2 years after primary infection. It also can be detected with recurrent or reactivated infections.1
Immunoglobulin G (IgG) has a longer half-life (21 days) and is the most common immunoglobulin in humans. It is found in tissues and serum and readily crosses the placenta. It can be detected shortly after acute infection, exhibiting a steep rise and fall over several weeks after primary infection. IgG also is a sign of past infection.1
<H5 style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: -12pt">Telltale sign of acute infection

</H5>It now seems clear that an IgG antibody produced within the first months after primary infection binds to its antigen poorly. After this initial period, the IgG binds with greater intensity (ie, higher avidity) to that specific antigen (virus). Assays that measure this binding intensity are called avidity assays and are expressed as a percentage of IgG bound to the antigen after treatment with denaturing agents.
My eyes, my eyes! That might as well have been written in Japanese.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry, you are correct that was MY typo. LOL As i understand my immunity is now stronger meaning I should not medically be able to contract measles, rubella, etc... Medical stuff is so confusing and I work in medical!! LOL
I know, same here, but this one makes my mind go in circles. LOL Thanks for your help.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I know, same here, but this one makes my mind go in circles. LOL Thanks for your help.
Welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness