Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,478 times

Advertisements

I'm a woman in my early 30's and for a few years now I will periodically (like once every few months) get traveling gas pains in my back and chest. It will feel just like a gas bubble, that moves all around--10 seconds here and there. I will feel it moving--upper right and left back, center back, mid-chest, etc. It feels like a mild burning pain. In conjunction with this, I will feel lots of gurgling and gas noises coming from my abdominal area, while this gas bubble is moving around. The gas bubble/pain never just stays in one place--it moves around everywhere, lasting about 10 seconds or less in each place. The whole episode lasts anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, and then the gas is completely gone, along with the pain. What I'm thinking is maybe the gas in my large intestine is pressing on the diaphragm which is causing referred pain to my upper chest and back? I would characterize the pain as mild but annoying.

For years this happened only once a year or so so I didn't think much of it, but it happened twice in August and now once last night, so I'm getting a bit concerned. I can't find any link between the food I ate and the gas pains so I'm a bit mystified--i.e. for dinner last night I had a salad (though with lots of cheese on it) and it caused the gas pains. Does anyone have anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,862,904 times
Anything to do with your gut should be in front not on your back. It is a strange one, I admit. Maybe you should try to keep a log of when it happens, and what you ate before it happened. This way you can see if a pattern appears and you can also tell the doc if you choose to go for treatment later on. Many people get gas and indegestion but I wonder if it is regular gas or if it is caused by something else. Have you tried doing the 'gas ejector' position on your bed? This is lying on your fairly hard bed on your back with your knees hugged to your chest trying to get the air to move towards the 'exit'. It sometimes moves things along quite well.

The other thing that just occurred to me is that you may be sensitive to dairy products (or becoming sensitive to them).

Last edited by ocpaul20; 09-22-2009 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
kibbles this happens to me also and it feels like someone is stabbing you in the back sometimes! I do admit though that I drink a lot of carbonated beverages with beer making it the worst. Are you eating anything that is causing excessive gas or bloating? Certain foods will do that to you such beans or broccoli.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:32 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,010,879 times
Have you had a right upper quadrant ultrasound? Could be gallstones or poorly functioning gallbladder. You're at the right age, it usually gets progressively worse with age, if you're caucasian there's another risk factor, and if you take any type of hormones (including contraceptives) you're more at risk. Gallbladder pain (colic) is often referred to the back or right shoulder. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness