Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:35 PM

211 posts, read 944,895 times

Advertisements

or any other desiccated thyroid? I'm freaking out about it going off the market. I've been reading up and looks like the FDA has alot to do with the alleged 'backorder'. Just wondering if anyone else is currently on it and what your plans are? I can't take synthroid so I'm at a loss here. My sister was just rx'd cytomel only but its not helping her at all. I don't understand why or how the FDA would just pull a group of thyroid meds off the market with no notice and so many people who can't take synthetic.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 PM

23,530 posts, read 69,951,025 times
I agree it is nuts. What does Forrest have to say?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,559,765 times
I still can get it but only 90 mg pills. I bought one of those pill cutters to evenly quarter it. Synthroid did little for me.
I have not heard it going off the market. You might try Womans International Pharmacy on line. Or, we may have to go Canada. I see a little advertisment on this very page for that.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I agree it is nuts. What does Forrest have to say?
They are still claiming its a backorder however one of the big thyroid disease advocates...I think her name is Mary Shoman or something like that....is saying its the FDA. I've been reading some of the information out there and it does look like the FDA has alot to do with it.

nanannie: Where did you get 90 mg from? That's my rx strength. I've called a bunch of pharmacies in Chicago and NW Indiana and can't find it.

Thank you for your replies.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM

23,530 posts, read 69,951,025 times
Information here:

American Laboratories continues to work hard at production.Â* | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Note the reader comments as well. I too question how much of the "shortage" is real, and how much behind the scenes price gouging is going on. It smells to me like a typical corporate play. We'll say Hormel (just used as an example, I have no proof or knowledge of what Hormel really does) sells to American Labs. "American Labs wants dried pig thyroid? The price of pork is down and we have to make up the profits somewhere, triple the price so that the stock won't tank." American Labs then tries to line up other suppliers and hold a strong line against price increases, and during that time a "shortage" happens. Standard Operating Procedure in business.

The people looking into the situation seem to be stuck focusing on American Labs. I'd be looking more closely at the big pig packers.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,174,173 times
That is messed up. I hope it gets sorted soon.

If it is any help for now. Try eating organic foods. The pesticides in regular stuff can pollute the thyroid. You could try calling the company directly maybe too?

What does the fake stuff do to you? (just curious dont have to answer if you do not want to)

Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 PM

harry chickpea: there seems to be a lot of different info out there. Three companies that make natural thyroid have now come forward with press releases that the FDA has ordered them to cease production. One is the maker of natur throid. The other two I'm not sure about. RLC Labs (Westhroid) and Forest (Armour) have not said anything about the FDA to date but all supplies are on the 'backorder'. So something is really fishy. Desiccated thyroid has been used for thyroid treatment for 100+ years so was never required to get FDA approval. Some believe the FDA is finally ending that.

piit_transplant: It really just doesn't work for me. I felt awful on it. Was on it 4 or 5 years and could never get my TSH where is was supposed to be. My dosages were being adjusted every time I had a blood test. AND I was gaining weight no matter what I did and just felt drained and run down all the time. When I had more blood tests done we found that synthroid was not converting to T3 like it is supposed to (T4 is supposed to convert to T3) so my T3 levels were extremely low. I tried cytomel (synthetic T3) with the synthroid but still did not feel well and levels were all over the place. Armour contains T3 as well as T4 and I believe T1 and T2 as it is natural thyroid from a pig. I've been on it now for maybe 4 years and have never had to adjust my dosage. My levels have all been perfect and I feel a ton better. The difference is night and day. My sister and mother have the same problems on it.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
They are still claiming its a backorder however one of the big thyroid disease advocates...I think her name is Mary Shoman or something like that....is saying its the FDA. I've been reading some of the information out there and it does look like the FDA has alot to do with it.

nanannie: Where did you get 90 mg from? That's my rx strength. I've called a bunch of pharmacies in Chicago and NW Indiana and can't find it.

Thank you for your replies.
I get mine at Jewel/Osco in Barrington, suburban Chicago. Is Mary the one who has the "Stop the Thyroid Madness" site? Very good info there.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
That is messed up. I hope it gets sorted soon.

If it is any help for now. Try eating organic foods. The pesticides in regular stuff can pollute the thyroid. You could try calling the company directly maybe too?

What does the fake stuff do to you? (just curious dont have to answer if you do not want to)
For many of us, its too late and the thyroid is shot.
I am soooooo into WHAT causes it instead of what cures it, but in the meantime, I believe your advice about organics and pesticides is spot on for us all,,always.
I found a doc who gave me the Armour, natural thyroid (albeit pig) vs. a chemical (Synthroid and Levi-something)

Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM

37 posts, read 283,329 times
I am using the nutri-meds thyroid and it's starting to help...until I get armour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness