Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,390 times

Advertisements

Hi tgbwc. Your answer would come from the trash company. Maybe the info is on their website if it's hard to get a call to get through to them. A lot of times the fire department has answers on questions like yours. Or the sheriff's department. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Hi tgbwc. Your answer would come from the trash company. Maybe the info is on their website if it's hard to get a call to get through to them. A lot of times the fire department has answers on questions like yours. Or the sheriff's department. Just a thought.
Thanks. We figured it out and it's pretty much as others have said:

[SIZE=2]Sharp objects, such as needles, razor blades, and knives, should be placed inside of durable plastic bottles, sealed with tape, placed in the trash and marked accordingly.[/SIZE]

Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
This is rubbish-literally.
Bio hazardous material isn't allowed in household garbage if it's safely labelled as such ie in a sharps container BUT
you can put your used needles in container labelled bleach and put them in the household garbage.

Broken glass and items with protruding nails aren't biohazards ie they haven't been contaminated with blood. Plus , people don't usually use them to inject IV drugs into themselves.
I am not sure what you think I said.

The information I gave is from my state, Georgia.

You can use any container not likely to be punctured and put it in the trash. You cannot put the red biohazard containers in ordinary trash even if they are empty. If you use the dedicated biohazard containers for used needles you will have to get them disposed of by a hazardous waste disposal company.

The point is to protect against contaminated sharps.

People do put biohazardous materials in ordinary trash, such as bandages, tampons, and sanitary naokins without any extraordinary precautions. They also put sharp stuff in the trash. If it's sharp and has blood on it, put it in a puncture resistant container, seal it, and put it in the trash. Do not put red biohazard containers in ordinary trash. I take the additional step of adding bleach to the container, letting it sit a few hours, and then pouring the bleach out.

If I personally throw away broken glass, I try to wrap it in something and bag it to protect the people who will handle it.

What do you not understand about this? Did you read the link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness