Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,348,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
That is so odd - I was just reading it and now I can't open it either. Let me see if I can link it some other way.

I have tried but the only way I can get to it is by the google search. I googled "probiotics virus" and the article was 5 selections down and was from journals.cambridge.org.

There are also some abstracts available for related articles but I chose this one b/c its full text. Abstracts are such a tease.

Found it! Thanks! Let's see if people can open this one:

http://journals.cambridge.org/downlo...6eebf438633b36

Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,702,259 times
keep your hands away from your face, ie; nose, mouth and eyes.
simple.
did i hear somewhere that this particular flu is not transmitted through the air via coughing, sneezing, etc.?
if that is true, good.
if not, please correct me.
if it is so, it makes it much easier to be in control of whether or not you contract it.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,192,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
keep your hands away from your face, ie; nose, mouth and eyes.
simple.
did i hear somewhere that this particular flu is not transmitted through the air via coughing, sneezing, etc.?
if that is true, good.
if not, please correct me.
if it is so, it makes it much easier to be in control of whether or not you contract it.
No, the H1N1 virus is definitely spread via droplets from coughing and sneezing, even more so than via hand contact.

CDC H1N1 Flu | H1N1 Flu and You

Old 09-30-2009, 12:17 PM

32,813 posts, read 36,084,567 times
I'm not so sure about the vitamin D supplementation.

"Instead of a positive effect on gene expression, Marshall reported that his own work, as well as the work of others, shows that quite nominal doses of ingested vitamin D can suppress the proper operation of the immune system."

Vitamin D Deficiency Study Raises New Questions About Disease And Supplements

The playing in the dirt part sounds fun.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm not so sure about the vitamin D supplementation.

"Instead of a positive effect on gene expression, Marshall reported that his own work, as well as the work of others, shows that quite nominal doses of ingested vitamin D can suppress the proper operation of the immune system."

Vitamin D Deficiency Study Raises New Questions About Disease And Supplements

The playing in the dirt part sounds fun.
That is why I suggest Cod Liver Oil. This article talks about synthetic vitamin D supplements, which is what I don't suggest at all. It can even be toxic in your body and can actually do more harm then good.
Also, I do want to point that I mentioned that CLO is best taken in winter months mostly, when you don't get enough sunshine. I wouldn't take it as a consistent supplement all year long.

http://www.edubook.com/health-benefi...iver-oil/2951/

http://drbenkim.com/codliveroil.html

http://middlepath.com.au/qol/cod-liv...r-restorer.php

http://www.homeremediesweb.com/cod-l...h-benefits.php

Last edited by max's mama; 09-30-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,220,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
That is why I suggest Cod Liver Oil. This article talks about synthetic vitamin D supplements, which is what I don't suggest at all. It can even be toxic in your body and can actually do more harm then good.
Also, I do want to point that I mentioned that CLO is best taken in winter months mostly, when you don't get enough sunshine. I wouldn't take it as a consistent supplement all year long.

Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil

The Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil

Cod Liver Oil Marvellous Immune System Booster Restorer

Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil

Cod liver oil is has Vitamin A palmitate. You need to be careful with THAT form not the one from veggies.

Cod liver oil has barely 500IU naturally. Only enought for rickets prevention.

Most brands from walmart or Target are synthetic yes. But any and all from Whole Foods or health food stores are with from liver sources or lanolin, which are "natural."

Even without this thread and in general, 400IU is NEVER enough for anyone. It's just silly.

And last, YEAR ROUND supplementation is needed for MOST people. You would have to be exposed to midday sun EVERYDAY with AT LEAST 40% of your body exposed for AT LEAST 20 minutes to get enough D.

So yes, less in summer and doubled in the winter for sure

Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Cod liver oil is has Vitamin A palmitate. You need to be careful with THAT form not the one from veggies.

Cod liver oil has barely 500IU naturally. Only enought for rickets prevention.

Most brands from walmart or Target are synthetic yes. But any and all from Whole Foods or health food stores are with from liver sources or lanolin, which are "natural."

Even without this thread and in general, 400IU is NEVER enough for anyone. It's just silly.

And last, YEAR ROUND supplementation is needed for MOST people. You would have to be exposed to midday sun EVERYDAY with AT LEAST 40% of your body exposed for AT LEAST 20 minutes to get enough D.

So yes, less in summer and doubled in the winter for sure

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I think 575IU (from Blue Ice) is plenty, and by the way, you do know that 500IU is just a written on the bottle dosage, if you want more you can just take 2 teaspoons i/off 1. Common sense.
Most veggies DO NOT have vitamin A. They have beta-carotene, which may or may not convert into vitamin A. For example elderly people and people with thyroid problems have problems converting beta-carotene into vitamin A. The dosage of vit.A that most high quality CLO (such as Blue Ice or Garden of Life) have is safe, since we do know that too much of vitamin A can be harmful.
http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/consumer/nyc...06_4/index.htm

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010323.htm

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina.asp

Your body doesn't need as much vitamin D as some sources say. Yes, we do need to supplement but I disagree that it needs to be done all year long.
Some sources as Weston A Price Foundation (who I highly regard) have their own opinion on that, I don't necessarily think that we need as much as they say we need.

Lastly, when I mentioned synthetic vitamins, I didn't mean CLO.

Last edited by max's mama; 10-01-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,537,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Probiotics you should take if you have digestive issues or issues assimilating nutrients from your food.

Better over all and well known immune enhancers would be Vitamin C especially Ester C (with timed release action)up to bowel tolerance or 10k mgs over the course of the day. Also Vitamin E. But an herb that specifically strengthen the immune system is Olive Leaf extract. However if you think you might have an auto immune condition, MacroForce by Immudyne www.immudyne.com
would be better. You can get these at a good Natural Food Store.
I believe zinc also helps to boost the immune system.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:05 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,537,497 times
As with any illness, especially if there is an associated high temperature and upper respiratory symptoms-drink, drink, drink.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,220,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I think 575IU (from Blue Ice) is plenty, and by the way, you do know that 500IU is just a written on the bottle dosage, if you want more you can just take 2 teaspoons i/off 1. Common sense.
Most veggies DO NOT have vitamin A. They have beta-carotene, which may or may not convert into vitamin A. For example elderly people and people with thyroid problems have problems converting beta-carotene into vitamin A. The dosage of vit.A that most high quality CLO (such as Blue Ice or Garden of Life) have is safe, since we do know that too much of vitamin A can be harmful.
From Beta-carotene to Vitamin A

How Well Do You Convert Beta-Carotene into Vitamin A? / March 23, 2001 / News from the USDA Agricultural Research Service

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin A and Carotenoids

Your body doesn't need as much vitamin D as some sources say. Yes, we do need to supplement but I disagree that it needs to be done all year long.
Some sources as Weston A Price Foundation (who I highly regard) have their own opinion on that, I don't necessarily think that we need as much as they say we need.

Lastly, when I mentioned synthetic vitamins, I didn't mean CLO.
Yes, agree to disagree

I understand Vitamin A and the difference between palmitate and Carotene, I work in nutrition

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? I work with hundreds of seniors who before supplementing were so low it was insane Studies show that well over 75% of children and 80% of adults are deficient. The debate is not over that. The Debate is what effects it has on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness