Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:49 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I heard that to, from several medical professionals that have been interviewed. Now, that is not to say that it couldn't mutate very quickly and become much worse.
yes, although similar to what poltracker posted i did hear yesterday that quite a few very young children have died and texas is being hit hard.
i'm very glad that i'm not a mom facing the whole vaccination issue.
that's between a rock and a hard place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
As these boards suggest - there are many many people with an unprecedented interest in this vaccination program, and a distrust of the government and vaccines in general. Because it is likely that some areas (such as hospitals, etc..) will make this vaccination mandatory, and - in the case of a more serious epidemic coming - this vaccine may be very widely used very quickly, the government has decided to become very aggressive about monitoring adverse events so that it can quickly respond as needed with accurate information.

If this virus strengthens, and millions refuse to get the vaccine because of spurious information on side effects, and that causes additional 10's of thousands to die - that would be a tragedy.

There is a large history of linking timing of events and causation of events - however, timing in itself does not prove correlation. So, there will be people who were 16 hours away from a heart attack - asymptomatic - get the flu shot and then have the heart attack (that was already starting to occur). The news story will be "FLU SHOT CAUSES HEART ATTACK".

There will be people about to be diagnosed with MS/ALS/Bell's Palsy - still asymptomatic (or ignoring symptpoms) - they will get the vaccine and a few days later be diganosed with these neurologic problems. Again, story will be "Flu Shot linked to neurologic conditions".

There will be people who get the flu shot, go home and 18 hours later - their spouse kills them in an act of domestic violence. Will the headline be "flu shot causes spouse to shoot flu shot recipient"?

Or people who get the flu shot, go to the bar, drink themselves silly and then drive into a tree. "Tree decimated by inebriated flu shot recipient"?

Hopefully, some of you get my point.

While it is possible this flu shot (not really any different than the seasonal flu shot some of us get each year) will have side effects (injection site swelling, fever, etc..). The DHHS/FDA/CDC wants to make sure that hysteria does not have the chance to diminish this vaccination campaign.

I realize many posters on these boards don't trust the government, that is your right. Just as it is the right of those who do not trust the government to try to "share information" and persuade others to your point of view. It is equally the government's DUTY to try to share its perspective and encourage people to get vaccinated for the SAFETY of the community.

As it is children (and pregnant women) who are being hardest hit by this flu, I think its very important that if the flu becomes more virulent (higher percentage of people contracting this flu become more sick/die) the government have the facts so that they can encourage people to do the right thing.
Kudos

Great post and terrific job of explaining causation/correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness