Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Thats not possible.

The flu shot doesn't contain live virus so there is nothing the body has to "defend" against. The body does recognize the "dead virus" as foreign and hopefully recognizes the same genetic makeup when and if the "live virus" is ever encountered resulting in a healthy immune response.

The flu shot cannot give one the flu and does not cause illness.
I disagree with your statement. I dont think we really know all the pathways and reactions in the viral infections. Maybe its something peripheral to the virus itself. I know that I have gotten very ill when I've taken the flu shots. Its not immediate but usually within a week or so.

I thought I recalled reading sometthing about blood types and affinity to flu, and posted it on some other post.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I disagree with your statement. I dont think we really know all the pathways and reactions in the viral infections. Maybe its something peripheral to the virus itself. I know that I have gotten very ill when I've taken the flu shots. Its not immediate but usually within a week or so.

I thought I recalled reading sometthing about blood types and affinity to flu, and posted it on some other post.
No, we do know the pathways to viral infections....there has to be a virus to start with and a dead or "attenuated" virus doesn't count. It just is not physically possible to get the flu from a flu shot....can't happen.

Also, blood types have nothing to do with flu affinity. You may have read something to that effect, but it wasn't true.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
No, we do know the pathways to viral infections....there has to be a virus to start with and a dead or "attenuated" virus doesn't count. It just is not physically possible to get the flu from a flu shot....can't happen.

Also, blood types have nothing to do with flu affinity. You may have read something to that effect, but it wasn't true.

I went back and read all the posts on this thread and I didn't read where anyone said they got the flu after getting the shot, they said they got sick. I think there was only one person who referred to something for about 8 hours after their flu shot and everyone else just said they got sick.

There is not a doctor on earth that will ever convince me that the one and only flu shot I ever had, didn't make my defenses weaker that year and I got sicker than I had ever been. Wondering what your specialty is?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
............ I think there was only one person who referred to something for about 8 hours after their flu shot and everyone else just said they got sick.

...............?
I said "flu-like" as the flu itself lasts much longer than 8 hyrs. I obviously had a reaction to soemthing in the vaccine, maybe one of the preservatives.

Back in the old days when we didn't know any better, I would give my children Tylenol after their vaccinations, to prevent reactions. Luckily, they never got whatever that can cause (Reyes Syndrome?).

Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I said "flu-like" as the flu itself lasts much longer than 8 hyrs. I obviously had a reaction to soemthing in the vaccine, maybe one of the preservatives.

Back in the old days when we didn't know any better, I would give my children Tylenol after their vaccinations, to prevent reactions. Luckily, they never got whatever that can cause (Reyes Syndrome?).
I think it was aspirin that caused Reye's Syndrome, unless of course there is some new study out that shows tylenol can cause it too. The last time my kids got shots they told me I could give them tylenol. We used to take aspirin as children and then they came out with the warnings on it. I guess some of us are lucky we made it through childhood considering alot of the things we did or took are now thought to cause problems.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 10-01-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Never had a problem. Getting my poke tomorrow.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:

My readings are 20 years back when I was an undergrad, so the information may have been a study (may have been related to Rh factors or something) and is dated. But I'm not convinced that some off shoots of flu shots can cause illness.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
The flu shot can not cause the flu, because it is a dead virus.

It can, however, cause flu-like symptoms, including fever, body aches, headache, sore throat, fatigue, etc. Especially Flu Mist. These are the side effects as listed by the CDC:

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

Quote:
In children, side effects from LAIV (FluMist®) can include:
  • runny nose
  • wheezing
  • headache
  • vomiting
  • muscle aches
  • fever
In adults, side effects from LAIV (FluMist®) can include
  • runny nose
  • headache
  • sore throat
  • cough
Good deal... get the Flu Mist, feel like you have the flu, then, since it's not terrifically effective, possibly end up getting the real flu later in the season! LOL

Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
The flu shot can not cause the flu, because it is a dead virus.

It can, however, cause flu-like symptoms, including fever, body aches, headache, sore throat, fatigue, etc. Especially Flu Mist. These are the side effects as listed by the CDC:

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine
[/list]Good deal... get the Flu Mist, feel like you have the flu, then, since it's not terrifically effective, possibly end up getting the real flu later in the season! LOL

So can someone tell me what the difference is from flu-like symptoms and flu? Isn't flu-mist not as effective in adults as in children, yet you have adults who for whatever reason chose to get it. If I am going to get a vaccine for anything I want the one that is proven to provide the most protection, otherwise why even get it?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Isn't flu-mist not as effective in adults as in children, yet you have adults who for whatever reason chose to get it. If I am going to get a vaccine for anything I want the one that is proven to provide the most protection, otherwise why even get it?

Because some adults just can't handle a needle poke or a sore arm for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness