Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM

19 posts, read 169,859 times

Advertisements

Doc Let me know yesterday that Im Hypo, and only ever seen one lower than mine, numbers can't recall. But Im curious about syptoms. First hairloss, does this happen on your head or everywhere? Seems like my hair has thinned out lots last 6to12 months.(39yearsold) And if It will pick back up once the meds start working? Ive know for a few months somethings wrong very exhausted in morning and after work and not cause worked hard. Legs been cold and feet mainly left been slighty knumb time to time. Had two MRI'S in 2008 that were positve for M.S(evoke potentials was ok) so these could be M.S but don't know. Had a Left leg that went limp in june 2008 that set the stage for the M.S search along with a few other things. Anyone have syptoms that were similar that disappered once the meds kicked in?(for the Thyroid) Looked around for info on the hairloss couldnt find anything. D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:26 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I don't know how to link it - but on the next page is Hypothyroidism - do a search for that (it's one word, not two)

Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM

15 posts, read 90,205 times
I was diagnosed with hypo about 2 years ago. Didn't really start taking my meds right until about 8 months ago. My legs and arms would go numb...but not really just a strange sensation. I was cold all the time, tired beyond tired, dry skin also. I also had an MRI for MS but it came back "normal" My symptoms are much better now although I feel like my levels are low again. I will be going to the doctor in a few weeks. You can find alot of good information on the internet if you just look around.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Really good list of info:

About.com Search - Find it now!

My mother had a temp issue with that. I was young but I know she is not on meds for it anymore. I do remember her hair going kinda "blah" from it and then it came back "normal" until she hit the meno-monster.

It is probably different for everyone though.

Check out this link in paticular:
Thyroid Disease 101: Basic Information on Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Nodules, Goiter, Thyroid Cancer

Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM

Can some one give me a positive outlook from thier experience with LEVOTHYROXINE He started me on one a day 0.05mg for first 15 days then 2 then after 30 3aday. He said I will feel so much better once level is back to normal. Hoping these legs sensations are to do with Thyroid and not M.S stuff still hanging around? D

Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,440,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE800 View Post
Can some one give me a positive outlook from thier experience with LEVOTHYROXINE He started me on one a day 0.05mg for first 15 days then 2 then after 30 3aday. He said I will feel so much better once level is back to normal. Hoping these legs sensations are to do with Thyroid and not M.S stuff still hanging around? D
I've had my thyroid removed and been on Levo (250mcg) daily for 12 years with no side effects. No numbness what so ever so I would say its the MS that's causing it.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:33 PM

I just started taking it yesterday he said it will take awhile for it to catch up and kick in , the Knumbness/cold legs has been around a while. I knew there was something else wrong tho. Doc noticed Thyroid was little low late last summer but we never followed up on it till last month with a blood test. Just hoping its causing some of the things that been feeling. Thanks D

Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
It is also known as myxodema

Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Hypothyroidism means a reduced level of thyroid hormone (thyroxine). This can cause various symptoms, the most common being: tiredness, weight gain, constipation, aches, dry skin, lifeless hair and feeling cold. Treatment is usually easy by taking a tablet each day to replace the missing thyroxine. Treatment usually works well and symptoms usually go.
It is also known as Myxodema.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE800 View Post
It sounds like it may be a good thing that your doctor is gradually increasing your dose. My daughter was diagnosed as Hypothyroid (the autoimmune type) when she was 9. They started her out on a full dose of 75 mcg of Levothyroxine. She didn't do very well - it was too high of a dose. She is now almost 11 and we have her on 25 mcg Levothyroxine and she is doing very well.

Thyroid problems can have so many symptoms, that it is hard to say if the leg problems are thyroid or MS related. I would take the medicine as prescribed and see what happens. Hopefully you were told to take it first thing in the morning at least a half hour before eating to get the maximum absorbtion.

One other thing worth mentioning is that people with thyroid problems are very often low on vitamin D. Selenium is also important to thyroid function. Taking a vitamin B complex will help your energy levels, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness