Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times

Advertisements

He might have a infection in his sinus for example.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Please. Scarlet Fever RARELY happens.

MOST cases of strep clear up on their own within one week. Even if SF was a factor, you are safe going untreated for that week.

I'd wait a week. I bet it will be better no later than day 5.
Please...

You are not a doctor or clinician and have no business giving medical advice that is contrary to prudent medical practice. Advice that is actually dangerous if followed.

Strep throat - MayoClinic.com

Strep throat: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Strep Throat

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to have strep throat if there is no fever? My 12 yr old started coughing Friday night and then woke up Saturday morning complaining of a sore throat, he coughed all day yesterday, still has the sore throat today. He has cold symptoms but no temperature. I don't want to take him to the doctor if it is a cold since they can't do anything for him. I have been giving him tylenol and cough syrup. His throat is alittle red and his tonsils are swollen, no enlarged lymph nodes as of now.
Strep throat cannot be reliably diagnosed by physical exam findings. The ONLY way to know if your child has Strep is to have a throat swab done.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,244,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Strep throat cannot be reliably diagnosed by physical exam findings. The ONLY way to know if your child has Strep is to have a throat swab done.

Thank you I am well aware that the only way to diagnose it, is to have a swab done. I was merely asking if it was possible to have it without fever.

We actually just got home from the doctor and he has a sinus infection, courtesy of a cold 2 wks ago. He is now on antibioitics for the next 10 days. Thanks all for your input.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Please...

You are not a doctor or clinician and have no business giving medical advice that is contrary to prudent medical practice. Advice that is actually dangerous if followed.

Strep Throat
Just wanted to say in this instance I agree with you and I would never allow strep throat to heal on it's on, I know there are risks to allowing infections to run their course, not to mention strep alot of times is really painful.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,217,633 times
According to one of those articles you have 9 days to treat with antibiotics.

AGAIN, there is NOTHING dangerous about waiting 5 days after symptoms start.

I was NEVER treated for strep. No one in my family was either.

FACT RF is RARE! It's not going to happen in 5 days.

That's right, let's keep stuffing antibiotics down everyone's throats. The effects of that are already clear and will continue to get worse. Thanks alot for that

I would NEVER tell a parent to NOT EVER go the doctor. But I can and will say you CAN wait a little while. I believe the OP's kid had been sick for weeks. Much different.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Please...

Strep Throat

Oh boy, I wasn't telling anyone what THEY should do. In fact, I said what I would do.

And by the way, there are symptoms OTHER than a sore throat which pertain to scarlet fever.

If you have ACTUAL SYMPTOMS of sf and NOT just strep THEN get treated right away. STREP will go away on it's own most of the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Oh boy, I wasn't telling anyone what THEY should do. In fact, I said what I would do.

And by the way, there are symptoms OTHER than a sore throat which pertain to scarlet fever.

If you have ACTUAL SYMPTOMS of sf and NOT just strep THEN get treated right away. STREP will go away on it's own most of the time.
Nice try at backtracking but your original post is there for all to see...

...."you are safe going untreated for that week.

I'd wait a week. I bet it will be better no later than day 5."

Any rational person would consider that direct quote from you to be ADVICE on what to do. Misguided advice at that....

Strep throat should NEVER be left untreated for 5 days or more "hoping that it will go away on its own". Not only is it quite painful as alluded to by the OP but it increases the risks of not just Scarlet fever but also of glomerulonephritis, rheumatic heart disease and other complications.

Also, people that HAVE Strep throat and do not get treated are INFECTIOUS and are more likely to spread the disease and increase the risks of complications to others. A patient that is appropriately treated will not be spreading the disease after 24-48 hrs of treatment.

As to your rant against "unneccessary antibiotics", a rapid strep test will tell you that day if antibiotics are necessary. Antibiotics used for proven Strep throat are never "unneccessary" and are not contributing to any of the associated problems with resistance if taken properly.

Reasonable advice would be to wait 48 hrs after onset of a sore throat, unless you know you were exposed to someone with Strep in which case there is no reason to wait to be tested.

Its hard to fathom a rational person suffering a sore throat or worse, allowing their child to suffer a sore throat for 5 days before seeking care...

It happens on occasion, but it makes no sense.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Nice try at backtracking but your original post is there for all to see...

...."you are safe going untreated for that week.

I'd wait a week. I bet it will be better no later than day 5."

Any rational person would consider that direct quote from you to be ADVICE on what to do. Misguided advice at that....

Strep throat should NEVER be left untreated for 5 days or more "hoping that it will go away on its own". Not only is it quite painful as alluded to by the OP but it increases the risks of not just Scarlet fever but also of glomerulonephritis, rheumatic heart disease and other complications.

Also, people that HAVE Strep throat and do not get treated are INFECTIOUS and are more likely to spread the disease and increase the risks of complications to others. A patient that is appropriately treated will not be spreading the disease after 24-48 hrs of treatment.

As to your rant against "unneccessary antibiotics", a rapid strep test will tell you that day if antibiotics are necessary. Antibiotics used for proven Strep throat are never "unneccessary" and are not contributing to any of the associated problems with resistance if taken properly.

Reasonable advice would be to wait 48 hrs after onset of a sore throat, unless you know you were exposed to someone with Strep in which case there is no reason to wait to be tested.

Its hard to fathom a rational person suffering a sore throat or worse, allowing their child to suffer a sore throat for 5 days before seeking care...

It happens on occasion, but it makes no sense.

I'm not backtracking. I believe/know it is safe. And it IS what I would do and have done

Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
According to one of those articles you have 9 days to treat with antibiotics.

AGAIN, there is NOTHING dangerous about waiting 5 days after symptoms start.

I was NEVER treated for strep. No one in my family was either.

FACT RF is RARE! It's not going to happen in 5 days.

That's right, let's keep stuffing antibiotics down everyone's throats. The effects of that are already clear and will continue to get worse. Thanks alot for that

I would NEVER tell a parent to NOT EVER go the doctor. But I can and will say you CAN wait a little while. I believe the OP's kid had been sick for weeks. Much different.
I too agree that alot of times antibiotics are prescribed needlessly and alot of times it is pressure on the doctors from patients to "heal it now." In the case of myself and my family we very rarely take antibiotics, so when we do it is out of what I and my doctor have determined a neccessity.

I to read the articles that show people are developing immunity to certain antitiotics from over-use making stronger, more potent antibiotics necessary. Some of these new antibiotics have the potential for some really serious side effects.

Noone who has a child in public school at a middle school or high school level wants their kids to miss alot of school since the makeup work is horrendous and that is time lost in the class. In this day and age especially since H1n1 has made it's presence know the school nursing staff will send children home with even a low grade temp, which my son had today. And as bluedevilz pointed out strep is contagious and since I have 2 other kids at home I would prefer if it had been strep that it stop with one child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness