Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband gets diarrhea from EVERY restaurant pizza he eats except one (a local place). If the ingredients they use are not any different, I don't understand what it could be. Does anyone else have this problem with pizza?

Also he usually gets it after eating soft boiled eggs (the runny ones - overlight?). Why would eggs bother his intestines only cooked a certain way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,823 times
YES if he is allergic to the egg protein--as to pizza--it may be one of the common seasonings in the sauce such as oregano

if he responds this way to eggs he needs to be careful getting immunizations as many of them are egg based

Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Soft boiled are easier to digest, so maybe it runs right through him? Does he eat anything with the eggs?

As far as pizza...The same ingredients are not all created equal. I would ask at the local place what they use that is different. Preservatives etc. in the pizza chain stuff can make some people sick. A lot of pizza dough recipes have egg in it.

If he overeats with either/too fast it can make you sick like that too. I would go get an allergy panel just to be on the safe side exactly for that vaccine reason.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
I live in an area in which most Italian places keep a running pot of sauce. They never throw the stuff out, just reheat it from one day to the next and keep adding ingredients. Sometimes(most) they never taste it, either, for it is WAY too salty and the tomatoes really taste stale. You cannot keep tomatoes going that way - they get dark and lose that fresh flavor. Seasonings also spoil - like basile is overcooked and the flavor changes.

Some of the cheaper mozzerella is just garbage and also over salted.

There are some fungi that most people can eat that others will become ill on. (Mushrooms are fungi). Leaving that pot of sauce cool overnight could cause
fungal growth and heating the next day will not remove it. You do not have to SEE fungus in your food to react to it. God knows what those places do with old cheese.

Cheap oils will sometimes go through me. I can handle olive oil but canola can cause problems.

I have no comment on the eggs but some bacteria is killed by thorough cooking. He may be reacting to some bacteria in the yolk that he is exceptionally sensitive to that si killed by thorough cooking.

I really hate crappy restaurants that try to cut corners and sell poorly handled food to an unsuspecting public that they would not ever serve to their own families. What they do is probably illegal, but many do.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I live in an area in which most Italian places keep a running pot of sauce. They never throw the stuff out, just reheat it from one day to the next and keep adding ingredients. Sometimes(most) they never taste it, either, for it is WAY too salty and the tomatoes really taste stale. You cannot keep tomatoes going that way - they get dark and lose that fresh flavor. Seasonings also spoil - like basile is overcooked and the flavor changes.

Some of the cheaper mozzerella is just garbage and also over salted.

There are some fungi that most people can eat that others will become ill on. (Mushrooms are fungi). Leaving that pot of sauce cool overnight could cause
fungal growth and heating the next day will not remove it. You do not have to SEE fungus in your food to react to it. God knows what those places do with old cheese.

Cheap oils will sometimes go through me. I can handle olive oil but canola can cause problems.

I have no comment on the eggs but some bacteria is killed by thorough cooking. He may be reacting to some bacteria in the yolk that he is exceptionally sensitive to that si killed by thorough cooking.

I really hate crappy restaurants that try to cut corners and sell poorly handled food to an unsuspecting public that they would not ever serve to their own families. What they do is probably illegal, but many do.

UCK!! And I know it's all true. I self employed and go in and out of a lot of restaurants to fix things so I see the BACK END. Some places are just NASTY!!

I went into this one place during the off time and I found the cook sleeping on top of the grill where the food is cooked. He had his shoes on along with a dirty pillow.

Sff, now days, especially with the way the economy is, eating out is just a crazy thing to do. EAT AT HOME FOKES!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 AM

Sorry can't do it, I love eating out too much. Only the lack of money slows me down. I have a tough stomach! Thanks for all the replies. He eats the usual things with the eggs, toast, sausage or bacon. But when he cooks that stuff at home (he's a chef), he doesn't have a problem. But I don't know if he's cooked a soft boiled egg in the last year.

It could be the sauce issue. If intestinal upset is not common from pizza, then it's not a certain ingredient or type of bread.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
I can't speak to eggs, but I know for a while I used to have (mostly during high school/college due to the frequency of eating pizza) diarrehea quite often after eating pizza, especially Pizza Hut! I was told by a doctor I had IBS, but I think it was just eating extremely greasy pizza typically once or more a week as well as fast food probably 3 or 4 other times and not eating nearly enough fiber in my diet - typical college diet I guess! B/c now we may get a pizza once every month or two, and I don't have to run to the bathroom a 1/2 hour later which is nice, but I still try to get the pizzas that aren't saturated in grease, which I will say Pizza Hut has come a long way in a decade, b/c it isn't nearly as greasy as it used to be!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM

111 posts, read 258,616 times
Basically any time I eat something really greasy I have that problem.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
The first thing that comes to my mind when you mention after eating pizza is lactose intolerance. Of course, this doesn't explain eggs (unless made with milk/cheese) and why the one pizza restaurant doesn't do it. Let me ask this...does he ever notice any problems with any other foods which are cheese based or milk based?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:06 AM

kaykay I don't think so. The other times when he gets it, it is sporadic and hard to tell what it's from. As far as the pizza, he suspects sauce or something sits out too long, but I don't know how it could be so consistent, how every place would do that. I think he should pay more attention to the grease issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness