Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:30 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times

Advertisements

Since I posted yesterday, we had burritos from our fave Mexican take out. Two of us are not feelin' so good in the tummy. So now I'm thinkin' not just about possible flu symptoms but also foodborne hepatitis, in my consternation.

Not feelin' so cool about other people touching my FOOD right now. I'll not be eating out again for a long time.

As for people touching me: not worried. Just having second thoughts about my food sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Since I posted yesterday, we had burritos from our fave Mexican take out. Two of us are not feelin' so good in the tummy. So now I'm thinkin' not just about possible flu symptoms but also foodborne hepatitis, in my consternation.

Not feelin' so cool about other people touching my FOOD right now. I'll not be eating out again for a long time.

As for people touching me: not worried. Just having second thoughts about my food sources.
Yet another good point. I don't eat out much and will probably not at all now.

Wow, I hate to spin out so much over this. I went to my Dr today and he told me to go to a movie when I told him I was stressing over H1N1. He also told me the flu was hitting the children and elderly - well, it isn't hitting elderly people so now I have to second guess him.

I'm still worried about people touching me. Viruses can be on people's hands. I do hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yet another good point. I don't eat out much and will probably not at all now.

Wow, I hate to spin out so much over this. I went to my Dr today and he told me to go to a movie when I told him I was stressing over H1N1. He also told me the flu was hitting the children and elderly - well, it isn't hitting elderly people so now I have to second guess him.

I'm still worried about people touching me. Viruses can be on people's hands. I do hope you feel better soon.
Perhaps he meant that when it does hit the elderly they don't have as good an outcome? From what I've been able to understand from this page on the CDC site those in the highest risk category for contracting the H1N1 are in the 5-24yrs of age group BUT those in the greater risk of death category are in the 24-49 age group followed closely by 50-64 and then 5-24 age group. (Maybe your doctor considers anyone 45 and older, elderly? )

The CDC is suggesting that those in the 65 and older age group may have some pre-existing immunity to this strain of the flu but from what I can see you are at greater risk if you have a pre-existing condition and that would be the case for many people in the age group 65 and older, I'm thinking. Also those in the age groups that have the highest representation would probably have more opportunity for exposure due to lifestyle factors and those in the older age groups more likely to have a lifestyle that would be more condusive to limiting their exposure....

How many patients hospitalized with novel H1N1 flu have had underlying medical conditions?

CDC studied the hospital records of 268 patients hospitalized with novel H1N1 flu early on during the outbreak. The analysis found that the prevalence of selected underlying conditions was significantly higher among hospitalized novel H1N1 flu patients compared to the prevalence in the general U.S. populations, except for chronic renal disease and obesity. For example, asthma occurs in 8% of the U.S. population, but 32% of hospitalized novel H1N1 flu patients had asthma. With seasonal flu, underlying medical conditions like asthma, diabetes, heart disease and pregnancy place people at greater risk of serious flu-related complications.

CDC Novel H1N1 Flu | Facts and Figures

Anyway, I thought you might like to know movin' on, that I went to my doctor this week and we've had a discussion regarding H1N1 and limiting exposure and I was told the same thing that you were. Avoid contact, both skin to skin (your skin to your skin and your skin to other people's skin) and skin to surface, wash your hands, limit your exposure and have the immunization. I've got an appointment to have my shot next Tuesday.

My doctor also shared my concerns that I'll be leaving the Australian flu season (ours is just finishing up here) and heading into the US flu season
AND that I'm leaving the hardest hit state here, Victoria, and heading for the North East Coast of America. There has been a lot of discussion here about why Victoria was more heavily infected and many think that is due to our climate. From what I can see there's nothing tropical about the NE US from November through the winter months so I'm wondering now what kind of infection rates they will have? In other words am I heading from one hard hit area into another?

channelnewsasia.com - H1N1 flu cases pass 500 in Australia, state's alert level raised

Still, even as I'm sitting here with whatever strain of the flu I have that wasn't covered by my regular flu shot I'm still looking forward to knocking this on the head, having my H1N1 vaccination and getting over to the US for my trip. I'll just be more vigilant than normal with regard being out in public, avoiding small children (nothing unusual there ) and anyone with visible flu symptoms and other than that it all gets down to luck really, as far as I can see. I haven't won Tattslotto yet so probably my H1N1 numbers won't come up either.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:34 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Hi - feeling better now. Determined to eat in - save money.

OP, have you talked to your Toastmaster leader about this? The TM person may actually agree with you. Esp. if you point out that you're in a position to be concerned. If I were you, I wouldn't go so far as to disclose what your actual condition is: no one's business. However, you can ask for confidentiality & I believe the leader would be happy to give that.

Perhaps the leader could suggest that the hand shaking be forgone for now. Especially if you would feel more comfortable with that option.

Toastmasters is a great organization. I have a friend who used it to hone his public skills... I'll ask him what he thinks of your dilemma... He's in the Boston area.

Kate

Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 PM

25 posts, read 58,851 times
I refused to shake my customers hands at work and I got fired for it.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
It just occurred to me what to do.

When someone offers you their hand to shake, suddenly sneeze or cough into your hand.

They won't want to shake it then.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
But given the fact that I haven't rec'd the vaccine and have a chronic condition, I simply don't want to take any unnecessary chances.
Say that at the next meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness