Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
According to the news yes the CDC brought it up along with coughing into your arm instead of your hands and washing your hands more and a host of other things.

Here this is direct from the CDC:

Everyone should, of course, also follow the standard CDC recommendations:

• Avoid shaking hands if possible. If you do shake a hand wash up afterward, either with soap and water or hand sanitizer, before touching your face or eating.
  • Perform careful hand hygiene by washing hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer, especially after you cough or sneeze.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread that way. Try to avoid close cont act with sick people.
  • If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
  • Carefully clean surfaces that are frequently touched.

For further information...

Please reference the CDC's H1N1 webpage at http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/.
Very cool and thanks! I will make sure to share this info in the email I send to him.

Maybe others can pass this info along too - at least readers on CD. I had no idea the CDC was urging this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, not really. I just joined and barely know these people. If I were to make some sort of announcement no doubt they'd think I was crazy. But given the fact that I haven't rec'd the vaccine and have a chronic condition, I simply don't want to take any unnecessary chances. I don't think anyone should have to.
No, no. I didn't mean make an announcement, I just wondered if there was someone from the group, a leader that you might ring and discuss it with?

I completely agree that you can't take the risk and just chance it but it seems a shame to have to miss out all together when it might be something that could be very easily rectified with a discreet discussion prior to the meetings. It's possible they could make it a policy of the group for the forseeable future based on the H1N1 virus being around. It's not like groups haven't had to make allowances for it here. It might be a whole lot easier and a lot less of a drama than you think.

Oh and I meant to mention that we've had a lot of these changes as advised by the health officials here because we've just come out of our flu season and a lot of churches changed the part in their service at the end where everyone turns to the person next to them to shake hands. Now they just say, "Peace be with you" and nod and smile, no hand shaking. So as far as I can see if the church has taken the measure then I can't imagine that a group as prominent as Toastmasters would have an issue with it.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
No, no. I didn't mean make an announcement, I just wondered if there was someone from the group, a leader that you might ring and discuss it with?

I completely agree that you can't take the risk and just chance it but it seems a shame to have to miss out all together when it might be something that could be very easily rectified with a discreet discussion prior to the meetings. It's possible they could make it a policy of the group for the forseeable future based on the H1N1 virus being around. It's not like groups haven't had to make allowances for it here. It might be a whole lot easier and a lot less of a drama than you think.

Oh and I meant to mention that we've had a lot of these changes as advised by the health officials here because we've just come out of our flu season and a lot of churches changed the part in their service at the end where everyone turns to the person next to them to shake hands. Now they just say, "Peace be with you" and nod and smile, no hand shaking. So as far as I can see if the church has taken the measure then I can't imagine that a group as prominent as Toastmasters would have an issue with it.
Well, good to know people are taking this seriously. It would be nice if something like this would come down from Toastmasters Int'l. I wonder if they've even thought of this. At any rate, I don't feel like such a weirdo now. I was up at 2 a.m. thinking about this (woke up at 2 not due to this but other stuff). Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Well, good to know people are taking this seriously. It would be nice if something like this would come down from Toastmasters Int'l. I wonder if they've even thought of this. At any rate, I don't feel like such a weirdo now. I was up at 2 a.m. thinking about this (woke up at 2 not due to this but other stuff). Thanks!

It has been taken very seriously here and you're not a weirdo, just concerned about your health, which is fair enough.

I did some searching and couldn't find much of anything regarding Toastmasters and a policy regarding H1N1 here but I did find a lot of sites discussing how churches have stopped handshaking and made alterations to the taking of communion.

Given what a professional organization Toastmasters are, I'm quite sure if you broached it with your leader they'd be very helpful at coming up with a solution.

Good luck with it, I'd be interested to know how you get along.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
For years and years, I have not ever shook hands with ANYONE. I'm a bit of a germ-phob. Luckily, as a woman, I am not expected to shake hands as men do. I kindly and simply tell them that I have been coming down with something and that I do not want to potentially spread it to them. Works like a charm and no offense is ever taken.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
For years and years, I have not ever shook hands with ANYONE. I'm a bit of a germ-phob. Luckily, as a woman, I am not expected to shake hands as men do. I kindly and simply tell them that I have been coming down with something and that I do not want to potentially spread it to them. Works like a charm and no offense is ever taken.
Well, that would work, but I cannot do that week after week.

Yeah, I think people should be more careful all the way around. I used to go to a 12 step group of sorts where at the end everyone holds hands. That always used to bother me. In fact, there was one woman there who always wore gloves. It would seem to me to be much easier just to leave at the end and not participate in that part of the group.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It has been taken very seriously here and you're not a weirdo, just concerned about your health, which is fair enough.

I did some searching and couldn't find much of anything regarding Toastmasters and a policy regarding H1N1 here but I did find a lot of sites discussing how churches have stopped handshaking and made alterations to the taking of communion.

Given what a professional organization Toastmasters are, I'm quite sure if you broached it with your leader they'd be very helpful at coming up with a solution.

Good luck with it, I'd be interested to know how you get along.
I will let you know. I am going to tell him that irrespective of what anyone else wants to do, I won't be shaking hands with anyone.

I think I will search the Net more to see what I can find too.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
I will let you know. I am going to tell him that irrespective of what anyone else wants to do, I won't be shaking hands with anyone.

I think I will search the Net more to see what I can find too.
Just type in 'H1N1 shaking hands' and it pops up all kinds of stuff like sports (volleyball) and other areas.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Well, that would work, but I cannot do that week after week.

Yeah, I think people should be more careful all the way around. I used to go to a 12 step group of sorts where at the end everyone holds hands. That always used to bother me. In fact, there was one woman there who always wore gloves. It would seem to me to be much easier just to leave at the end and not participate in that part of the group.
In that situation, I would see nothing wrong with just placing your hands at the rear of the shoulder of each persons shoulder next to you. If anyone is to question, just kindly say, "with all the stuff that is going around lately in the environment, I feel this protects both you and I." If someone said that to me, I would be entirely cool with it that they were being considerate enough to think of me as well.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
How do you tell a group of people you can't shake hands with them due to H1N1?

Tell them you're related to Howie Mandel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness