Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
This is very awkward. I belong to Toastmasters and one of the things they do each week is to shake everyone's hands. After a visit to my Dr's last week, wherein I shook his hand and he corrected me that I am supposed to do the knuckle hitting handshake due to H1N1 now I don't want to shake hands with anyone. The antibacterial gels don't work as they don't fight viruses.

I am considering just quitting the group as I don't know how to tell an entire group I don't want to shake hands due to H1N1. That would make me look very strange but I want to follow my Dr's lead. Thoughts? Help?
Isn't Toastmaster's an impromptu speaking group? How about a 5 minute summary speech on H1N1, and working in the proper greeting techniques?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
This is very awkward. I belong to Toastmasters and one of the things they do each week is to shake everyone's hands. After a visit to my Dr's last week, wherein I shook his hand and he corrected me that I am supposed to do the knuckle hitting handshake due to H1N1 now I don't want to shake hands with anyone. The antibacterial gels don't work as they don't fight viruses.

I am considering just quitting the group as I don't know how to tell an entire group I don't want to shake hands due to H1N1. That would make me look very strange but I want to follow my Dr's lead. Thoughts? Help?
Get the vaccine. Otherwise you'll start looking like some germ-obsessed freak á la Howard Hughes.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Wear gloves to your Toastmaster's meetings? But what's the big deal about shaking hands? Just wash your hands or use hand sanitizer afterwards. At my catering job we have several Purell hand sanitizer dispensers scattered around the facility. And even then, I don't use them. I just wash my hands periodically during my shift. But we get all sorts of international visitors, so I would say that my danger of exposure to various colds and viruses is much greater than you at your monthly Toastmasters meeting of local members.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:33 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wear gloves to your Toastmaster's meetings? But what's the big deal about shaking hands? Just wash your hands or use hand sanitizer afterwards. At my catering job we have several Purell hand sanitizer dispensers scattered around the facility. And even then, I don't use them. I just wash my hands periodically during my shift. But we get all sorts of international visitors, so I would say that my danger of exposure to various colds and viruses is much greater than you at your monthly Toastmasters meeting of local members.
Too funny Miu! I was just thinking that exact same thing! We keep hand sanitizer everywhere at work, and I always have some with me. (I also keep gloves at the office too! )

I can't imagine not shaking hands when I meet someone, but I do always take proper precautions to avoid any possible germ threat.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Its a flu. Use regular hand sanitary precautions, avoid people who are sick, and if you are sick isolate your self, cough and sneeze into your arm not your hand. Carry some hand sanitizer or naps for those times when you can't get to a bathroom. Get a vaccine, once it is available. Its that simple.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 10-10-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
instead of shaking hands, why not "high five" instead ?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
I say everyone should buy into the mass hysteria and wear Hazmat suits...if enough of us buy them perhaps the manufacturers will start designing them with a little more flair!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It's a what??

Lol its early. I have not had my coffee!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Hmm, now I see the posts have taken a strange turn.

Look, if my Dr. doesn't even want to shake my hand and has told me that hand sanitizer doesn't work as it's a VIRUS, who are any of you to call me a germ freak?

I can't get the vaccine YET as it's not available YET. Plus, I have asthma and get the regular flu shot each year and have ever since I was 25. When I got the flu at 25 I paid dearly for it. I was sick for six months and had to ask for special accomodations at work (that is when they used to smoke in offices. I know I am dating myself here). No thanks. No one's personal opinion of me is worth going through anything like that again.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Hmm, now I see the posts have taken a strange turn.

Look, if my Dr. doesn't even want to shake my hand and has told me that hand sanitizer doesn't work as it's a VIRUS, who are any of you to call me a germ freak?

I can't get the vaccine YET as it's not available YET. Plus, I have asthma and get the regular flu shot each year and have ever since I was 25. When I got the flu at 25 I paid dearly for it. I was sick for six months and had to ask for special accomodations at work (that is when they used to smoke in offices. I know I am dating myself here). No thanks. No one's personal opinion of me is worth going through anything like that again.
Maybe you should get a 2nd and 3rd opinion from some other doctors. It seems to me that your current doctor is a germ-a-phobe along the lines of Howard Hughes and Adrian Monk. I'm surprised that your doctor isn't seeing you and his other patients while dressed in a Hazmat suit.... seriously. I really don't think that it's right that he's put his unreasonable fears onto you.

Just wash your hands properly, and never touch your hands to your eyes and mouth when you are out in public.

Since you are a Toastmasters member, are you by nature a shy introverted person? Are you are pessimist?

Sometimes I will get a small cough or sore throat. And when I do, I drink a glass of orange juice or hot tea and the symptoms go away. I make a conscious effort and tell myself that I am not going to get sick, and I don't. I worked with a co-worker that was sick two days ago, so I took a few doses of Airborne. Today I feel fine. His germs didn't shed onto me. I believe that the human mind is very powerful. I believe in my mind controlling my body and keeping my immune system strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness