Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:29 PM

72,319 posts, read 18,149,884 times

Advertisements

I think you need more calcium,and get bone density test. I am in my early 50's. I started having knee pains.Actually walking a lot helps.No just strolling but power walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,151,034 times
1) Keep moving.
2) If it hurts bad enough, take something to relieve the pain.
3) Eat a well balance diet.
4) If you are overweight, try to lose it.

Arthritis comes in three types.
Osteoarthritis
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Juvenile Arthritis

Most arthritis has a genetic background. What doesn't can usually be traced to damage done to joints. Liz

Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 21,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Arthritis is yet another symptom from what you are all eating. You don't have to get it at any age.
I'm new here, but these kind of statements are so nieve. Up until I collapsed and had a series of health diagnosis's where one ended up being Rheumatoid Arthritis and a few other autoammune diseases, heart disease, etc. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Excercised daily, was generally always just a tad under weight, meditate, yoga, vitamins, herbs, never took drugs, don't smoke, don't drink, love vegetables and fruits in any fashion, microbiotic diet, very spiritual, didn't even have aspirin or tylenol in my house. Then, boom. All that changed. Yes, RA runs in my family as do the other autoammune diseases and heart disease. I was convinced that doing everything right would prevent it. My Mom was in perfect health all her life. Always ate right, walked to and from work every day to stay in shape, she died of Ovarian Cancer. My Grandmother was in perfect shape, not overweight either, ate right, excercised... she died of a brutal case of RA that just ate up her body. She tried every alternative treatment possible. She was doing accupuncture back in the 60s. Her joints still failed, were deformed and this beautiful lady who was 5'9" and full of life, didn't have one original joint left in her body... complete failure of her spine and was just over 3' when she died. She was insistant up until the end to take her vitamins, herbs and any special new age miracle cure....

Sometimes, crap happens and no matter what you do, it won't make any difference. So please be careful telling people arthritis comes from what they eat. PS... my Grandmother didn't eat red meat.

Last edited by zccity; 07-08-2007 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: 3 feet, not inches.. :)

Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,626,332 times
I'm so sorry you have arthritis at 50, but no it isn't too early to have it. Many people much younger than you have arthritis also. The best thing I can tell you is don't give in to it - keep moving and enjoy your life as much as you can.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 PM

668 posts, read 677,093 times
I became arthritic at 36. Generally it chooses a lower leg, or foot joint to affect. I even did vioxx to the point of suffering a minor stroke to relieve the pain. Was on crutches for over half the year by age 38 and still teaching school.

Just happened to move to a bicycle friendly town the next year, and lost 20 pounds. It flares up every now and then, but I kill the pain with aspirin or advil. I don't need crutches at all.

I think the answer for many like me is exercise. Others it might be diet, or it's just genetic. Funny how science can't figure out how to cure this seemingly simple malady.

Exercise (bicycleing) works for me, and I hate excercise. But to use the bike to go shopping and run other errands does take the redunancy out of it.

good luck,

Trebek

Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,931,353 times
Quote:
original by: dragonten

I think you need more calcium,and get bone density test. I am in my early 50's. I started having knee pains.Actually walking a lot helps.No just strolling but power walk
Strolling helps too. PowerWalking ( PW ) is not necessary...but do PW if you prefer to walk like that. It's good for cardiovascular conditioning.

regards...Franco

Old 07-12-2007, 03:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,931,353 times
zccity

Quote:
original by: zccity

I'm new here, but these kind of statements are so nieve. Up until I collapsed and had a series of health diagnosis's where one ended up being Rheumatoid Arthritis and a few other autoammune diseases, heart disease, etc. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Excercised daily, was generally always just a tad under weight, meditate, yoga, vitamins, herbs, never took drugs, don't smoke, don't drink, love vegetables and fruits in any fashion, microbiotic diet, very spiritual, didn't even have aspirin or tylenol in my house. Then, boom. All that changed. Yes, RA runs in my family as do the other autoammune diseases and heart disease. I was convinced that doing everything right would prevent it. My Mom was in perfect health all her life. Always ate right, walked to and from work every day to stay in shape, she died of Ovarian Cancer. My Grandmother was in perfect shape, not overweight either, ate right, excercised... she died of a brutal case of RA that just ate up her body. She tried every alternative treatment possible. She was doing accupuncture back in the 60s. Her joints still failed, were deformed and this beautiful lady who was 5'9" and full of life, didn't have one original joint left in her body... complete failure of her spine and was just over 3' when she died. She was insistant up until the end to take her vitamins, herbs and any special new age miracle cure....

Sometimes, crap happens and no matter what you do, it won't make any difference. So please be careful telling people arthritis comes from what they eat. PS... my Grandmother didn't eat red meat.
Although I am a big proponent of eating a vegetarian diet and practicing a healthy lifestyle in general, I'm inclined to agree that Sometimes, crap happens and no matter what you do, it won't make any difference. Nonetheless, it certainly can't hurt to live a healthy lifestyle. My grandmother who lived to age 99, ate meat all of her life. Her longevity secret was to avoid doctors at all cost...it worked for her.

regards...Franco

Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 PM

740 posts, read 2,009,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At age 50 I am already suffering from Arthritis Is it to early for someone to get it? I wonder how old the average person is when they get Arthritis
I had arthritis at 37. Cound not make it up the stairs to kiss my teenagers good night anymore. I also have psoriasis.. and the two go hand in hand. I decided to get on the internet and do some research. What I learned is that sugar, starches, almost anything processed with carbs, will cause toxins that build up in your joints and cause arthritis. This was about the time the Atkins diet craze hit. My husband was doing Atkins which made it a perfect time for me to test out what I had learned. I really didn't do Atkins per say.. but I did give up most processed carbs. I was on this "diet" for almost a year. Lost 45 lbs and the pain. I have been eating regular for the past two years and have not had any of the pain and stiffness that I was experiencing. I guess if I notice it coming back it will be time to clean out the pantry again! Good luck!!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:20 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At age 50 I am already suffering from Arthritis Is it to early for someone to get it? I wonder how old the average person is when they get Arthritis

No i am 29 and broke my femur when i was 12 and the knee joint wasn't right since then and i was diagnosed with chronic arthritis in my knee when i was 22.....i take glucosomin chondroiton for it......have less of a range of motion as the years go by.........

yeah arthritis sucks......

people say man i wish i was your age cuz i remember when i could run without pain ....and then i tell them how young i am with severe arthritis and they feel better about thier situation usually

the doctor was in the next room and said to the other doctor, "who's x-ray is this , the old man in that room over there?" and the other doctor said, "no, its that kid over there he's only 22"......then the first doctor said, "wow, his knee looks like he's an 80 yr old man"

so trust me i know it sucks and will for years to come

Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,622,697 times
Sorry you all have to deal with arthritis (I do too!) but it's nice to have so much company.

I've tried to weed out the toxins and bad stuff in the foods I buy (I am a label/ingredient reader), and sometimes I allow myself to indulge in something without seemingly ill effect. My pain levels are much lower than they used to be, and I attribute that to perhaps an increase of anti-inflammatory supplements, glucosamine, chondroitin and msm. I follow some of Dr. Perricone's regimen, and also Dr. Weil. I never eat farm raised seafood, and increased the amount of wild salmon I consume. I love a good steak but if I eat too much of it, I'll feel it. Chicken doesn't seem to bother me (I buy the organic/"smart" chicken), and love eggs, but stick to free range (no antibiotics, no hormones, strictly vegetarian fed) - that goes for meats as well. I also spend a little extra and buy organic milk. It's worth it to me. Since moving south from NE I find that I have considerably less pain, though some days the jonts in my fingers still swell quite a bit and there's a lot of stiffness.

A word of caution about cortisone shots. They may give temporary relief, but they will destroy the joint. I've seen it happen to someone I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness