Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:32 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times

Advertisements

'm so back and fourth on to vaccinate my young kids or not for this Swine Flu. There is a 15 year old girl who lives 3 blocks from me in bad, bad shape from the Swine Flu. She was a healthy strong 15 year old,now in Intensive care! Last I heard, she likely wont make it.

Then i hear others says the vaccine might be worse then the Swine Flu itself. So what did you guys with small children do? What will you do?

Vaccinate or not? Why or why not?

Those who were vaccinated, did you or your loved ones have side effects?

Who here had the swine flu? What happened?

So many questions! Hope someone could help!

Thanks!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
I was leaning more towards not vaccinating my kids, spoke to my pediatrician but still not to sure. I have always vaccinated my kids but we have only gotten the flu shot once. For the deaths you hear about from this flu you hear of so many others for whom it was just a mild case. I know the health community says the shot is no different from the seasonal flu shot but the question still remains for me what did they have to do to get it ready so fast? Then on Friday they announced there was a delay in getting some of the shots out but noone says what caused the delay. It makes me worry there is something going on the public is not being told. My boys school district sent home paperwork and they will be giving the vaccines or flumist beginning the 28th of Oct. I am very torn, I am worried about the shot and equally worried about my kids getting the swine flu.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
We will be getting it. Myself, my hubby, my 3.5 year old and my 5.5 year old. I have seen first hand that this virus is impacting small kids/young adults the most. My dh and I are high risk (health care workers)
The vaccine is manufactured exactly like the seasonal flu shot except it has a different strain of the virus. The seasonal flu shot is not 'tested' long either...Not a big deal. Have you known anyone to have a severe reaction to a seasonal flu shot? If so what was the reaction? I think our chances of becoming very ill with the swine flu are much more increased then suffering a serious side effect from a flu shot.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
'm so back and fourth on to vaccinate my young kids or not for this Swine Flu. There is a 15 year old girl who lives 3 blocks from me in bad, bad shape from the Swine Flu. She was a healthy strong 15 year old,now in Intensive care! Last I heard, she likely wont make it.

Then i hear others says the vaccine might be worse then the Swine Flu itself. So what did you guys with small children do? What will you do?

Thanks!!!!
Two of my friends have/had swine flu and they were fine. One friend Jay, takes Enbrel which weakens your immune system; was in the hospital for 3 days for monitoring, but was released with medication and is fine. It is just like any ordinary flu. He is always tired, he says. My other friend is my friend's lover. He had it, was put in the hospital this past weekend and being released tomorrow. I am not bothered by it. I guess it's because when Jay was in the hospital texting me, he seemed amused by it, and didn't seem too phased.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,451 times
Default Your opinion on my family and the H1N1 vaccine

What would you do? I am a very severe asthmatic--steroid dependent. Without question I am getting the H1N1 vaccine. My almost 9-year-old son and I have appts at 3 today. Our family doc recommended that he get the shot too. They have a limited supply so my husband (who is very healthy) is not eligible to get it until they get the next supply in (and there is a slight risk that no more will arrive). So he was planning to just go to a clinic or drug store where they offer it for a fee. The idea here is that we can't risk me getting this flu, or any flu. I also got the regular flu shot yearly. I've had the flu 3 times in ten years..each time it was a very close call. I guess I'm defending my choice to get this vaccine! So many people are judgemental.
My problem is this. My so, Paul, came home from school very early today, feeling sick. He is rarely sick. Last year he did not miss one day. His symptoms today were that he felt clammy and he could not shake that sleepy feeling...he kept sort of nodding off. He had slight dizziness too. He has now napped for 2 hours. He is still resting, but awake and drinking juice. I've searched the web about this and can't find an answer. But isn't it said that you should not get a vaccine if you are not feeling 100% well? We would risk him not being able to get the shot, but I'm not willing to let him get sicker from a shot if that's the risk.
The other issue I am concerned about with Paul is that he has ADHD, inattentive (if you are not familiar this means that his problems do not involve hyperactivity; it is difficulty in focusing.) His is pretty severe. Without medication it's almost like he cannot hear his teachers. I refused to give him medication for this for 2 years. I finally gave in and agreed that we would try it. Within one dose he was a different child as far as attentiveness. It was amazing. Usually it takes a while to find the right med and dose. But he is doing very well..no side effects and he is now back in the classroom for all of his subjects (some had been with a special ed teacher). I worry about the long term side effects but we do all we can to avoid them. He takes two days off per week from the med to give his body a break. Anyway, I worry about the possibility of side effects from this vaccine some how worsening his ADHD.
After all that: The question is, would you have Paul get this vaccine considering all of the above??
Jo

Old 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
JoJo, only your pediatrician can advise you. Your son needs to be examined and we can't do that.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

Thanks!!!!
I am on the fence as well. I am not sure what to do. We are all getting the "regular" flu shot but I don't know about the swine one. Will they eveb have enough to go around though?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Nah. Don't need it. A flu is a flu. People die from regular flu. Never had a flu shot at all. I am one of the lucky ones who get sick like once every 10 years. I think it has been 11 years since I had a flu bug. Colds and sinus infections yes, flu no.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
So would you say the info here is possibly true? Watch the video!

YouTube - Swine flu vaccine could have major medical side effects

Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Well, it is scary. For me it's all about weighing the benefits of the vaccine against the risks of not getting it. I've got asthma so I don't want the flu. Also, thimerasol is used in a lot of vaccines and I'm not worried about it. Things are very different in terms of developing these vaccines today vs. the 70s. Meanwhile, I am just not leaving my house unless it's for a small outing to the store. I am not working so I really don't have to leave unless I need a prescription filled or something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness