Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:34 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times

Advertisements

I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have the classical symptoms also. I've been reading up on it and have read if your iodine is low, it can cause it. I took a skin iodine test and it indicated my iodine is very low. I don't eat fish and salt which are a good source of iodine. Does anyone else have an iodine deficency? How do you suppliment? Did the hypothyroidism go away after being regulated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 09:29 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,728,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have the classical symptoms also. I've been reading up on it and have read if your iodine is low, it can cause it. I took a skin iodine test and it indicated my iodine is very low. I don't eat fish and salt which are a good source of iodine. Does anyone else have an iodine deficency? How do you suppliment? Did the hypothyroidism go away after being regulated?
My acupuncturist, who is also a nutritionist, was just talking to me about iodine the other day.
She was talking about iodine deficiency and thyroid issues.
This is the product that she supplied me with.
http://www.standardprocess.com/display/displayFile.aspx?docid=142&filename=/Public/Lit/TabSheets/organicallyboundminerals6275.pdf (broken link)
I believe the iodine level in this product is relatively low but i am not at all sure about that.
I hope you can find alternative ways to successfully treat your hypothyroid condition.
Not that you couldn't do this yourself, but here's a google page for you.
alternative treatment for hypothyroidism - Google Search

Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
if you are in the USA Iodine deficiency is rare!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 AM

284 posts, read 1,020,955 times
My wife has hypothyroidism(underactive thyroid) but she got its after radioactive iodine therapy to fix her hyperthyroidism(overactive thyroid) and now she just takes Levothyroxine every morning to bring up her thyroid levels.

Some side effects she is currently experiencing from hypothyroidism have been

weight gain but she was very skinny before so this is a good thing (went from 100 to 120 lbs)
she loses alot more hair than normal in the shower
dry skin
depression
fatigue
moody

Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,728,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
if you are in the USA Iodine deficiency is rare!

Iodine and the Thyroid

"While iodine deficiency was not common in the U.S., it is again on the rise here as well. The first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES I), which took place between 1971 - 1974, found that just 2.6% of US citizens had iodine deficiency. The followup NHANES III survey, conducted between 1988 - 1994, found that 11.7% are iodine deficient. The October, 1998 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism reported that over the previous 20 years, the percentage of Americans with low intake of iodine has more than quadrupled. Of particular concern is the fact that the percentage of iodine-deficient pregnant women has increased from 1% in 1974 to 7% in 1994. Maternal iodine deficiency is particularly dangerous to a developing fetus. The researchers do not have a cause for the drop in levels, though it is suspected that reduced salt in the diet, plus a reduction in the use of iodine as a food ingredient, may be responsible. This trend, however, may necessitate concerted efforts to increase iodine levels in people at risk of deficiency even in the U.S."

Old 10-25-2009, 12:54 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
I want to try to correct my iodine deficiency in hopes that it will regulate my thyroid. In turn, I hope that I won't have to take thyroid medication. I'd like to hear from others that may had success with doing this.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:36 PM

369 posts, read 942,792 times
1000mg of l-tyrosine 3 times a day
coconut oil 2-3 tbsp a day
organic iodine

Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
American Thyroid Association: Thyroid Cancer, Hyperthyroid, Hypothyroid, Thyroiditis, Thyroid Clinical Trials, Thyroid Patient Health Information

This is a great place to start with info about your thyroid.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 PM

245 posts, read 956,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I want to try to correct my iodine deficiency in hopes that it will regulate my thyroid. In turn, I hope that I won't have to take thyroid medication. I'd like to hear from others that may had success with doing this.

I have been hypothroid for 12 years. It has been a roller coaster ride. I have discovered that I do much better on natural thyroid meds (Armour, Nature-Throid) then synthetic thyroid meds (synthroid). It's hard to find a doctor that will listen to your symptoms (which can be extensive) & not just go by bloodwork. We are all different, bloodwork is treated like a cookie-cutter tell all and it's not. While your labs might look great, you may actually need more meds. I searched for a doctor (look at Mary Shomon's website for a doctor, see the link below) & found one that helped me with Nature-Throid & Iodoral (Iodine). It's taken about 3 months with him bumping up my meds but I feel so much better. He has told me that everyone should take some type of iodine supplement while taking thyroid meds. I have never been told this in the 12 years I've been treated. My hair has stopped falling out, I don't need 12 hours sleep anymore, I'm not depressed, my skin isn't as dry, & I'm finally losing some of the 10 lbs I had put one when my thyroid went off kilter (which it will typically do). I don't know if it's possible to ever go off thyroid meds once you start, for me that hasn't ever been a possibility but the iodine supplement has made a difference with the increase also of my thyroid meds. Here's a link about Iodoral below just for informational purposes (I purchased mine through Amazon.com & found a better price for 180 tabs). I take my 1 grain of Nature-Throid 3 x a day & my Iodoral with it (3x per day). This is what my doctor prescribes for me. Hope this info. helps a bit! I know this can be quite daunting & overwhelming a task, especially when you don't feel well.

Thyroid Disease Information Source -- Bestselling Books, News, Information on Living Well With Hypothyroidism, Autoimmune Disease, Thyroid Diet, Home Page of Mary Shomon
Naturamart.com - Quality Health Supplements

Old 05-24-2010, 06:24 AM

889 posts, read 2,713,450 times
I get powdered kelp from www.bulkherbstore.com and capsulize it myself. It is inexpensive. If you don't want to cap pills, you can get a bottle of them at a health food store. It is very high in iodine and good for hypothyroid. I went on vacation for a week without it, and I could tell a difference. Research kelp!! I also agree with the poster who talked about virgin coconut oil. With all the benefits of this food, we should ALL be eating it! It is good to do your homework. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness