Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:40 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
More than anything it has to do with the heart having to work less hard pumping blood to the extremes of the body. The taller you are the harder and more forcefully the heart has to pump every second of your life. Over 70 years for short people that's billions of beats less work so the heart can go an additional 20-30 years.
I'm no doctor, but are you sure about that logic? If that is true, to me that would mean extreme athletes such as marathon runners, distance swimmers, etc. would die younger also because their heart would have pumped harder all those times they were running, swimming, etc. than the normal person who just moderately exercises or doesn't exercise at all.

To me, being taller I can see down the road having back (in fact, I've already had back surgery in my 20s) issues, just bending over puts more strain on me than it does someone 7 or 8 inches shorter. I think there is potential for more physical issues leading to pain/immobility which in turn leads to decreased physical activity which increases your chances for an earlier death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I'm no doctor, but are you sure about that logic? If that is true, to me that would mean extreme athletes such as marathon runners, distance swimmers, etc. would die younger also because their heart would have pumped harder all those times they were running, swimming, etc. than the normal person who just moderately exercises or doesn't exercise at all.

To me, being taller I can see down the road having back (in fact, I've already had back surgery in my 20s) issues, just bending over puts more strain on me than it does someone 7 or 8 inches shorter. I think there is potential for more physical issues leading to pain/immobility which in turn leads to decreased physical activity which increases your chances for an earlier death.
I have to admit I can find no empirical evidence for this. I've just noticed that all the short people my step-father knew were in their nineties as well as members of my mother's own family of 14 siblings. I saw very few tall ones and people on the Internet, in response to the question, note that there aren't as many tall 90's and 100's as short. But the trend in research is to focus on genetic aberrations and such because it's "sexy"-----like a "sexy centenarian.

Short people live longer due to gene mutation found mostly in women

Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 PM

268 posts, read 817,418 times
I don't know what make people live longer. I know a guy who didn't smoke and ran 5 miles a day, excellent shape and fell over with a heart attack and died in his mid fifties. Yet an aunt who lit up Benson Hedges every twenty minutes, ate salty sugary food and was depressed and bitter lived to a miserable 86 years old when she died. Life span is a crap shoot, live each day like it's your last.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
I don't know what make people live longer. I know a guy who didn't smoke and ran 5 miles a day, excellent shape and fell over with a heart attack and died in his mid fifties. Yet an aunt who lit up Benson Hedges every twenty minutes, ate salty sugary food and was depressed and bitter lived to a miserable 86 years old when she died. Life span is a crap shoot, live each day like it's your last.
Words of wisdom, carp.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Of course i don't believe this as just because tall uncle joe died in his 60's and short aunt millie died in her 90's proves nothing but happen chance. Until i see clinical research on Pub Med or other science based web sites like Science Daily etc. showing me otherwise then i as a tall dude am not worried about dying young ''just'' because i'm tall .

Hmm ..... i wonder how long midgets live till .....

Old 11-06-2009, 08:42 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
Best advice on this thread!

I smoke, and while I've cut down drastically, I haven't quit yet.

Meanwhile, in the past two years two coworkers who specifically gave me lectures about smoking have died, both at the age of 52. One of a heart attack (an athlete too, of course!) and the other from ignoring complications he had after minor surgery until his kidneys shut down.

It's not as if they were wrong about smoking, but there are no guarantees, so maybe those who fancy themselves superior enough to lecture others should take heed.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Three thing for sure,
1) all 90+ elderly have been slim all their life,with much lower than average fat...
2) all are rock hard emotionally...Many have buried their husbands/wives,brothers/sisters even their children...
4) Most are sexually functional & active...

So,it is the 3 s...Slim,Solid,Sexy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness