U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM

26,343 posts, read 88,169,835 times

Advertisements

Lipitor for ten years. Zero side effects. Very low LDL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 44,355 times
High cholesterol runs in our family and my Dad was prescribed lipitor as well as my brother for years without any side-effects.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM

106 posts, read 268,183 times
The lipid hypothesis numbers that doctors use for cholesterol is completely bogus folks. 100% completely incorrect. I promise. Doctors are trained incorrectly by a faulty theory about cholesterol. I am not a whacko. I speak the truth.

There is absolutely no need under the sun to shoot for cholesterol under 200. It's a ridiculously incorrect goal based on the idea that "high LDL" causes cardiovascular disease. This is false.

LDL measurement number is simply a marker, but the health of your vascular system cannot be determined by this number. You can have an LDL of 180 and total cholesterol of 300 and be totally fine. It depends on multiple factors.

A count domination of small, dense LDL particles are a marker for high risk of CVD, but a domination of large, buoyant LDL particles are a marker for low risk CVD. A standard lipid panel that calculates the total number will not tell you this.

The 3 best things to look for on your cholesterol test:
1. High HDL (somewhere in the 60-90 range). 100 or above could also be a good sign, but if it's that high, you'll want to make sure your CRP is not elevated, as a high HDL could be a sign of infection and your body is trying to fight it off with a higher carrier count.

2. Low Triglycerides: below 100 is good and below 60 is even better. High carbohydrate diets (specifically high fructose and grain) cause high Trigs in the blood. Your liver turns 30% of fructose into VLDL. That’s bad.

3. Domination count of large, buoyant LDL particles. These LDL particles are far more resistant to oxidation in the blood, and oxLDL is one of the most important warning signs for CVD.

What is one of the most damaging causes of oxidized LDL? Polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are unstable, especially when heated (vegetable oils).

What is one of the most important ways to protect against oxidized LDL? Eat whole foods that contain saturated fats and monounsaturated fats. That's right folks. Backwards right?

Mainstream has fooled the world for 50 years now. Do not believe the saturated fat lies. Do no believe the cholesterol lies. You live once. Please find the truth.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM

665 posts, read 1,635,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
The lipid hypothesis numbers that doctors use for cholesterol is completely bogus folks. 100% completely incorrect. I promise. Doctors are trained incorrectly by a faulty theory about cholesterol. I am not a whacko. I speak the truth.

There is absolutely no need under the sun to shoot for cholesterol under 200. It's a ridiculously incorrect goal based on the idea that "high LDL" causes cardiovascular disease. This is false.

LDL measurement number is simply a marker, but the health of your vascular system cannot be determined by this number. You can have an LDL of 180 and total cholesterol of 300 and be totally fine. It depends on multiple factors.

A count domination of small, dense LDL particles are a marker for high risk of CVD, but a domination of large, buoyant LDL particles are a marker for low risk CVD. A standard lipid panel that calculates the total number will not tell you this.

The 3 best things to look for on your cholesterol test:
1. High HDL (somewhere in the 60-90 range). 100 or above could also be a good sign, but if it's that high, you'll want to make sure your CRP is not elevated, as a high HDL could be a sign of infection and your body is trying to fight it off with a higher carrier count.

2. Low Triglycerides: below 100 is good and below 60 is even better. High carbohydrate diets (specifically high fructose and grain) cause high Trigs in the blood. Your liver turns 30% of fructose into VLDL. That’s bad.

3. Domination count of large, buoyant LDL particles. These LDL particles are far more resistant to oxidation in the blood, and oxLDL is one of the most important warning signs for CVD.

What is one of the most damaging causes of oxidized LDL? Polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are unstable, especially when heated (vegetable oils).

What is one of the most important ways to protect against oxidized LDL? Eat whole foods that contain saturated fats and monounsaturated fats. That's right folks. Backwards right?

Mainstream has fooled the world for 50 years now. Do not believe the saturated fat lies. Do no believe the cholesterol lies. You live once. Please find the truth.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
good , because I eat bacon and seven eggs per day....... LDL 73

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
good , because I eat bacon and seven eggs per day....... LDL 73
then you probably have high HDL too, from the eggs. just keep in mind that the best eggs are from chickens raised on grass pasture with supplemented organic feed. not the other way around. the 'pastured eggs' are more expensive, but they are more nutritious. eggs laid by healthy chickens are like a natural multivitamin food.

also, get uncured bacon, as the nitrates turn to nitrosomines when combined with high heat (cooking the bacon). nitrosomines have been linked with cancer in multiple studies. one catch though, is that if Vitamin C is in the mix, it inhibits the formation of nitrosomines, so if you do get cured bacon, make sure you see some kind of ascorbic acid in the ingredients to block to transformation.

cheers

Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
then you probably have high HDL too, from the eggs. just keep in mind that the best eggs are from chickens raised on grass pasture with supplemented organic feed. not the other way around. the 'pastured eggs' are more expensive, but they are more nutritious. eggs laid by healthy chickens are like a natural multivitamin food.

also, get uncured bacon, as the nitrates turn to nitrosomines when combined with high heat (cooking the bacon). nitrosomines have been linked with cancer in multiple studies. one catch though, is that if Vitamin C is in the mix, it inhibits the formation of nitrosomines, so if you do get cured bacon, make sure you see some kind of ascorbic acid in the ingredients to block to transformation.

cheers
Awesome advice

I take C just for that reason.
Molybdenum is another important nutrient for fighting off nitrosamines and it's in eggs too ( I only eat organi free range.... because I'm worth it)

I stopped eating bacon for a while and then found that spinach and other leafy green have high ammounts of nitrates. Lots of body builders take nitrate suppliments.

Made me think.... hmmmmm

Nitrates supply valuable nitrogen to the blood stream and help keep the arteries open and clear of debris.

Win win !

PS. Doen't the choline in the eggs lower cholestorol ?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Awesome advice

I take C just for that reason.
Molybdenum is another important nutrient for fighting off nitrosamines and it's in eggs too ( I only eat organi free range.... because I'm worth it)

I stopped eating bacon for a while and then found that spinach and other leafy green have high ammounts of nitrates. Lots of body builders take nitrate suppliments.

Made me think.... hmmmmm

Nitrates supply valuable nitrogen to the blood stream and help keep the arteries open and clear of debris.

Win win !

PS. Doen't the choline in the eggs lower cholestorol ?
laidback,

veggies have significant levels of nitrates too, as you say. you're totally correct. however, the catch is the heat. raw veggies do not contain nitrosomines. they have to be cooked first. but then again, many veggies contain some amounts of VitC. Bacon, on the other hand, doesn't. So when they add nitrates to bacon, and then you fry it, it creates the nitrosomines. This is why having the VitC in the ingredients could play an important role, more important than you simultaneously eating it along with your bacon. Because it is the VitC added to the actual bacon while it's being that cooked that inhibits the formation of nitrosomines. This is why I get uncured bacon.

check out this awesome article by stephan guyenet on nitrates in veggies and bacon. also, the comments below the article provide excellent info as well. stephan is a master at interpreting data and pulling out the truth.

Whole Health Source: Nitrate: a Protective Factor in Leafy Greens

as for the choline in eggs, i don't know if it 'lowers cholesterol' per se, but it does help ensure that liver remains healthy, especially from excess fructose and alcohol. getting choline from egg yolks is a great thing to do.

check out this short article from stephan on choline, and DEFINITELY read chris masterjohn's articles on choline that stephan links to at the bottom of the article. ol CMast has a brain the size of the moon.

Whole Health Source: Search results for choline

cheers

Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,759 times
i take fish oil to control my cholesterol. my doc says it's good to lower triglycerides. i am also hypertensive and i have a heart condition so fish oil will be good for me.

so far, so good. what are you guys taking?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathiepeterson View Post
i take fish oil to control my cholesterol. my doc says it's good to lower triglycerides. i am also hypertensive and i have a heart condition so fish oil will be good for me.

so far, so good. what are you guys taking?
I'm taking a cup of oatmeal a day. Lots of niacin which NATURALLY lowers cholesterol. It also contains a whole gram of L arginine which will prevent atherosclerosis.

WINNING ! !

Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 AM

523 posts, read 3,662,367 times
Quote:
on what are you basing the idea that the hypothesis doctors use for cholesterol is incorrect, and what is your support for your alternative recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness