Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,621 times

Advertisements

My G-Mal has Severe COPD and her lungs are bad... she gets short of breath really quick. and is on Oxygen. it hurts me to see anyone like that.

Does anyone know if there is any Herbs, Natural Alternatives to help support the lungs? Vitamins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
For something severe, your best bet is to see a naturopath (since you are asking about herbs n vitamins). good luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
My G-Mal has Severe COPD and her lungs are bad... she gets short of breath really quick. and is on Oxygen. it hurts me to see anyone like that.

Does anyone know if there is any Herbs, Natural Alternatives to help support the lungs? Vitamins?
There are definitely natural approaches to supporting the lungs but i agree with stoymonkey.
Your friend sounds like she has some serious health issues and that it might be a good idea for her to see someone who is trained.
If her lung problems are so severe that she needs to be on oxygen i don't feel comfortable giving herbal advice.
p.s. what's a G-Mal?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
You need to make sure she is seeing a good pulmonologist and is on the right meds to control/maintain her disease.

Does she smoke?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 AM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
Danielle hit a home run with "get a good Pulmonologist" . There are degrees of COPD and if already
on oxygen does suggest a room air (off oxygen a oxygen saturation of 88% or less at rest or a blood
gas oxygen level of 55 mmHg or less at rest) These are medicare parameters for payment. If these
levels are established it is essential that the person use oxygen 24/7 and without fail nocturnal use
(while sleeping). Additionally, the patient should be at least observed for sleep apnea (severe snoring, periods of cessation followed by bursts on exhalation, falling asleep during day) Breakdown
ordinarily chewable meats and veggies, chair exercise (not a fan of pulmonary rehab, but I may be
wrong in regards to it so ask your Respiratory Therapist or MD. Use MD directed meds, but be care-
ful as most inhaled meds rob your body of vitamines (a daily soluable multi-vitamin is good) Many
COPD patients suffer from undetected systemic fungal disorders (Wild Oil Of Oregano) is safe and
effective. Omega Fish oil is a mild anti-inflamatory and as MD lowers Predisone it could compensate
while weaning. If on antibiotics be sure to eat plain yogurt (although the acidity in the intestines
has been found to neutralize it as a "best" probiotic so get a good probiotic suggested by health food store
experts. Shortness of breath is such a terrible condition often having little to do with oxygen lack
but more airway inflamation,trapped mucus,elevated diaphragm,limited mechanics on exertion. I
have a habit of "looking" objectively at the COPD person to see how they are breathing. On exhalation pursed lip breathing can dramatically open the frequently narrowed bronchioles that
cause air to "trap" in the alveolar sacs. Vitamin B's are lost when a person is stressed and it might
help "level" the COPD person. Attending chrurch (bible study) card club ,social gatherings can
keep a person with lung disease active and social. Caregivers need compassion as many meds
including steroids can make a person rage-like at time. Aquafina water may be less taxing on the body than spring water. Do not turn the oxygen up arbitrarily as in some cases it can depress the
ventilation of the patient especially those with elevated carbon dioxide. If a demand system is
used have the company measure the % oxygen ( Keep the level 90-93% or whatever you MD rec-
comends. This level generally will maintain adequate levels in the body. God Bless!!

Last edited by DASULAR17; 12-15-2009 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: errors

Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 AM

380 posts, read 1,229,621 times
wow dasular thank you for your info... she does not smoke anymore. as of 7 months ago. damage is already done with her lungs. but were just trying to keep them healthy and functional. she needs her oxygen pretty much almost 24/7. but I want to see if they can heal more.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
I would also suggest Pulmonary Rehab. She needs a Pulmonary Function Study to see exactly what kind of damage was done as well. Make sure she has a healthy diet with lots of water.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
wow dasular thank you for your info... she does not smoke anymore. as of 7 months ago. damage is already done with her lungs. but were just trying to keep them healthy and functional. she needs her oxygen pretty much almost 24/7. but I want to see if they can heal more.
Unfortunately "healing" isn't really an option with COPD.

The damage done to the alveoli is irreversible.

The best one can hope for with the right meds and complete cessation of smoking is slowing the progression of the disease.

We all lose lung function as we age, folks with COPD lose it an exponentially faster rate.....

Best of luck to your family member, this is a terrible disease....

Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:

I don't know if this will help with COPD or not but I had really severe asthma earlier this year. I was actually doing breathing treatments four times a day via a nebulizer and having very severe asthma attacks frequently. Well, I started drinking a drink called Emergen-C that you can buy at any drugstore. Now, I am able to workout as long as I use my inhaler beforehand. I haven't used my nebulizer in over a month. I only use my rescue inhaler about once a week. The last time I went to the pulmonologist my doctor said that he couldn't hear any wheezing in my lungs and reduced my asthma medication.

I would also recommend a good pulmonologist.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Sorry to hear your family member is suffering. It makes me very sad to hear this.

It just angers me that people do not think about this kind of stuff when they are younger. Even today, people know the dangers of smoking but think this will never happen to them.

I guess the old saying hindsight is 20/20 is so true.

If you smoke, quit before it is too late...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness