Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Hello forum,

Well, I can't even believe I'm coming onto this forum to ask for advice specific to this matter, but I'm at the point of fear for my long-term health now and don't want to allow embarrassment to prolong my anxieties.

DISCLAIMER: The following paragraph might be considered a bit "vivid" for some readers. Please skip ahead to the next paragraph if you're squeamish.

Anyhow, I noticed several months ago a lot of discomfort and more "gurgling" than usual occurring in my lower bowels as my food neared the end of its digestive journey. I then started to get sharp pains while having bowel movements and would pass quite a bit of blood at times to accompany my solid waste. Sometimes I'd have no blood at all, but on rare occasion I'd wipe and notice on the toilet paper that it was nearly completely soaked red from all of the blood I was passing. Not long ago while in the shower I finally decided to do a bit of "digging", so to speak, by lubricating a finger really well with soap and shampoo and inserting it into my anus. Not deep inside at all I felt a small bump---almost like a large pimple. I was so tempted to just squeeze the darn thing, but I knew if it was something serious I'd be ill-advised to do something so bold.

I've done some medical research online, and by golly it looks like at the ripe old age of 23 I've gained myself an honest to goodness hemorrhoid. While it is very uncommon for someone my age to be developing these when I rattle off some of the possible causes of having them I'm hitting a bull's eye for nearly every one---I sit in front of a laptop in my office for 8 hours per day and often spend a few more hours per day online. I'm a distance runner. I don't have a high-fiber diet. Living in Northern Virginia I'm stuck in daily gridlock and sit in my car for long periods of time. I also have a diet relatively high in carbohydrates. All of these may have very well combined to put me into the position I'm in today.

I'm beyond concerned to see that there is no cure for hemorrhoids. I'm also speechless that if I go to a doctor I'm going to be asked to strip and bend over as he "digs around" inside of me with the dreaded white latex glove. I may be homosexual, but I've never engaged in anal intercourse and am very uncomfortable having anyone in such close quarters to my bowels! Needless to say this is why I've refused to seek treatment thus far, even though I do have medical insurance that should likely cover it.

What have I done so far? I've taken corrective dietary measures to increase my fiber intake and cut back a bit on my carbs. I'm trying to put less pressure on my hind quarters when seated. I'm massaging my sphincter and the affected area in general on occasion with a moisturizing lotion in the shower. I'm trying to rush to the bathroom as soon as I feel the urge to have a bowel movement so I don't put any undue pressure down there.

Is anyone else out there on the forum currently living with hemorrhoids or knows of someone who is? What have you all been doing? I suppose my biggest concern is merely long-term health ramifications (if any). I can live no problem with having occasional pain while having bowel movements and passing blood as long as this doesn't lead to any other health problems. I already did a forum search on the subject and received some helpful information, and I must admit I was curious to read one person's account of how he, too, had this problem at a young age and would just grin and bear the pain as he'd burst any hemorrhoids that he'd get. Now he says he's been free of them for 40 years. I'm tempted to just do so myself, but the last thing I'd want to do would be to risk an infection.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
See a proctologist. Many women develop hemorroids just from pregnancy alone, and that's not confined to those who push during vaginal delivery. Depending on the severity, you may need surgery. A physician would be able to tell you if it is just piles, hemorroids, or something different that's causing the bleeding. Do yourself a favor and don't self-diagnose.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Bibit612 is absolutely right. Scranbarre, lots of people get them at all ages, and there is NO need to be embarrassed about it. My older brother had them in the late 1970's and he had to have them surgically removed. I had them at 33.

Google in Hemcure. This is where I went to have them removed. It's a relatively easy procedure anymore. When I first went to them in the early 1990's there was some discomfort, but from what I've been told the procedures have been improved. Luckily, you say you have health insurance so you're in good shape there. I only have Medicare, when I called them about a year and a half ago they said they DO take it.

Now I'm not saying to get on a plane and fly out to Denver to have it done. But take a look at their info. If there isn't a proctologist in your area, see your family doctor and have him recommend one if you have to travel I would think that someone in your area does this as well. Good luck and get going!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-21-2009 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
You definitely need to get checked out, because there are a number of things that could be going on. You're probably right about what it is, but one of my good friends had the same symptoms and ended up ignoring it for a year until it got unbearable. It ended up not being what he thought, instead he had a fistula (which is a really hideous problem) which was associated with Crohn's Disease.

I'm not suggesting anything as dramatic is going on with you, but the possibility always exists. You do need to make sure. If nothing else, it's worth the peace of mind.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
S-B, this sounds like an internal hemorrhoid. Yes, you should go to a doctor and have it checked just to make sure. I've suffered from external ones ever since I was pregnant with my daughter twenty-five years ago. I just use over the counter ointment, and lay on my stomach until they subside and I feel better. I've tried to get more fiber into my diet as well (oatmeal is a good source), but I also have a desk job and spend hours at home on the computer as well. I'm not typing this standing up, obviously!

I think surgery is a drastic step, but consult a doctor and see what he/she recommends. It's funny to me that so many Americans suffer from this, but no one talks about it! I commend you for having the courage to do so.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Well, it is probably good at getting used to doctors and their fingers too, as you will get older having that prostate checked is going to be a routine part of your health exam............and women have to face the finger up the butt with a vaginal exam as well [talk about indignity] just learn to keep breathing and relax............they do so many it is very impresonal to them.

I am certain your imagination is much scarier than the exam.......I had this discussion with a coworker who was worked up about having her first mammogram and she came out of with "oh that wasn't so bad" .............

Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Surgery really isn't so bad and it fixes that problem for good. Not to say you won't get another one somewhere but w/the changes you mentioned, you might luck out. I had an external one removed under a local anesthetic in the doctor's office and it was a piece of cake.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Yep! Go to the doctor!

Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
Please go see a doctor. What you are describing are also symptoms of colon cancer.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Please go see a doctor. What you are describing are also symptoms of colon cancer.
sheeesh....no need to go there!! I hate when people do that. It could just as well be a fissure or simple hemorrhoid issues. A simple--"probably need to have a doctor check it out" would suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness