Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,045 times

Advertisements

Before it is too late, I WANT MY HEALTH back.........I am 50, single woman and I am needing to know how I go about getting my physical, mental and spiritual life back. Do u go to a psychologist? doctor? wellness meetings? I decided I can't do this alone. I have been fighting my physical health, and mental health for too long.....My spiritual side is growing also but not fast enough for me.....LOL.

Where is it I should go, or who should I talk to about this? I have expressed concerns like this to my doctor and she says I need a psychologist! I just don't think a psychologist can give me my physical, mental, and spiritual life back, or could he? LOL

I have seen therapist and psychologists/psychiatrists before and I end up seeing them for years, and things haven't ever changed, but I am much poorer than I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 03:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I did this and here's what worked for me. I started out with baby steps. Small things I could do easily that would encourage me to do more. Over time I did more. I started out walking and now I can run 10 miles. But it didn't happen over night. This long series of small successes increased my self esteem and made me feel better about myself and just being me.

And I am a slug. If I can do this, anyone can. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Except for extreme mental illness, I really think if you work on your physical health your mental health will improve greatly.

Excercise is great for depression and/or anxiety.

So maybe what you need is a physical trainer to get you started!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:00 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
First I would recommend finding a workout partner. A workout partner makes those exercise sessions much easier and more fun. As you begin to really get into and enjoying your workout sessions, you'll find your spirits improving greatly. Regular exercise does that. It improves your spirits and your general feeling of well being. Just be sure to do things you enjoy otherwise it can be very hard to keep up your exercise routine. Walking is one of the very best exercises you can do. It's low impact, works your cardiopulmonary system, and all you need is a good pair of walking shoes. Riding a bicycle is fun as well. Many cities have designated bike paths that are safe and fun to ride on. Important also is eating right and drinking plenty of water. Be sure ease into whatever exercise program you choose to do. Check your pulse regularly and it's probably a good idea to see a doctor for a general checkup first.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:49 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
I agree. All good suggestions. This one worked for me years ago when I fell into a long, deep depression & had no desire/energy to get up to do anything. Someone asked me if I had a dentist appt, would I show up, despite my depression. I said yes, of course, because if I miss an appt, I'm charged for it. So, they said, okay, you can do something if you absolutely HAVE to? Yes.

So, the solution was to pencil into my book appts I was to keep. At first, it began with small things, but all on a schedule - waking up each morning at 8am, shower (no twice a week showers & hairbrushings anymore regardless of how awful I felt), make bed, dress (no hanging about in PJs all day anymore), food shopping for small items at noon. If I felt awful, I did it anyway. I HAD to. It was an appt. If I had a letter to mail, I'd pencil it into my calendar that I would walk to the P.O. at 10am rather than leave it for the mailman. That helped me to get out of the sleeping all day/staying up all night routine & within weeks I wasn't resisting as much. It was becoming a habit.

Then exercise was my next challenge, so I penciled in a noon, 1/2-hr walk on Mon; 2pm 1/2-hr stretch on Wed, etc. It became easier each time & my resistance dissipated. A habit, in essence, as my depression had become over all those many months. Like you, therapy did little to help me. Meds didn't help me. I'm not saying they won't help you or that you shouldn't try, because, anything is worth a try to change waking up & feeling a very heavy heart & soul everyday. For me, it took becoming sick & tired at how I was existing, rather than living & wanting to take the bull by the horns to do something. If you feel you can't do it alone, try another therapist. Some mental health pros work pro bono & some work on a sliding scale, but you must ask. I had a psychiatrist who treated me for $20/session in Atlanta. Sometimes, it's like anything else - hairdressers, plumbers, chiropractors - you just need to keep moving until you find the right one. Take one step at a time. One phone call/day. Pencil it into your calendar.

Change is good & you'll feel better for it. Your desire to change is evident in your post, so keep moving & it will give you fresh, new motivation daily. I recently heard a weight loss doctor respond to a patient who complained of no motivation to exercise thusly, "Action comes before motivation. If you wait for the motivation, you'll never do it." So, if you don't feel motivated to do anything, as I did years ago, pencil it in, make it an appt & go anyway.

Best of luck... VV

Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I did this and here's what worked for me. I started out with baby steps. Small things I could do easily that would encourage me to do more. Over time I did more. I started out walking and now I can run 10 miles. But it didn't happen over night. This long series of small successes increased my self esteem and made me feel better about myself and just being me.

And I am a slug. If I can do this, anyone can. Best of luck to you!
Horray for slugs!

I did the same thing, it takes time and commitment...but you'll get there. Once you get going you will start to feel better and that will fuel you to keep it up. Good luck to you!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
Kittenspurr, your post was one of THE Best post I've ever read on this site. I'll bet it helps a lot of others! Thanks

Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Sillygal, you seem like a smart and sincere person. What's in the past is past, water under the bridge by now. Time to start up a new day with a clean slate.

i agree with what Northern Exposure said just before, Kittenspurr wrote up a great post with some good simple advice. I read that several times over and it sure says it all. No need for me to add anything else but to wish you good luck too.

Oh yeah, I've read a few posts of yours before. You have a lot of wit and a sense of humor too! I remember reading a thread you started in the Alaska board called something like "OK I gotta know" that brought on a whole lot of funny replies and it sure made me laugh at the time. Humor can sure take the edge off a lot of other stuff going on around us that can be a real drag sometimes, and have some fun at every chance that comes along!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Sillygal, you aren't depressed about your age are you, because if you are, maybe I can help. But I ain't revealin my age again for nothinBut I will if thats your problem, I will reveal my age and maybe give you a couple pointers. Here's a starter, go out with some friends and just have a fun night. I got some good ideas for that too

Old 05-22-2007, 12:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb just a few ideas~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Before it is too late, I WANT MY HEALTH back.........I am 50, single woman and I am needing to know how I go about getting my physical, mental and spiritual life back. Do u go to a psychologist? doctor? wellness meetings? I decided I can't do this alone. I have been fighting my physical health, and mental health for too long.....My spiritual side is growing also but not fast enough for me.....LOL.

Where is it I should go, or who should I talk to about this? I have expressed concerns like this to my doctor and she says I need a psychologist! I just don't think a psychologist can give me my physical, mental, and spiritual life back, or could he? LOL

I have seen therapist and psychologists/psychiatrists before and I end up seeing them for years, and things haven't ever changed, but I am much poorer than I was.
Well- I can relate. Take time to really understand yourself. I try to write things out. There are some excellent psychologists (but also some horrible ones) Last Dec I was trying to get marriage counseling and the idiot was rehashing things from 20 years ago- some therapists can help- some wont. My marriage is ending so I guess its good I didnt waste money on that particular quack-lol.

Diet also helps- I avoid junk and too much sugar- never eat fast food. Alcohol is a depressant but some drs will say you can have a glass of wine/beer once in awhile to unwind.

Exercise is a hard one- if you get depressed sometimes its hard to force yourself to get out- In some moods I dont feel like having small talk with neighbors- so I let the dogs out back- I guess I have zero tolerance for small talk.

One thing I will mention is several years ago I had an excellent therapist who helped me get in touch with my true thoughts- some people go through life in denial- never facing things. This particular Dr (in Boston) also did group therapy which can help. Just talking and getting things out can help-Repression and trying to pretend everythings great doesnt work for me- I let myself feel how I really am- I dont force myself to do anything- different solutions for different people.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck-

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness