Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

My skin is beyond needing just moisturizer. I need a good oil to put on my skin while it's still wet after baths and showers.

I can't find anything in the stores. There are some things online---Neutrogena has one that's unscented and a seseme one too.

But I'd like something that smells good. I keep finding ones that are lemon scented. That reminds me of dish detergent.

Has anyone found a good body oil that has a light fresh smell?

I'm not talking massage oils or bath oils. I need a skin oil.

From what I understand, oil absorbs into the skin better than moisterizer and it also isn't as greesy either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Well if you read some of the topics here you will find that some use olive oil.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:23 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
My grandmom used 1 part rose water with 1 part glycerin. Walmart sells each of them but sometimes my mom used a cheaper lotion and just put in glycerin in it because the glycerin heals skin by penetrating the skin. Dad use to use it and he was a Mechanical Engineer awhle hiss hands use to be rough as the road he used it at nights. By the morning his hands were soft and almost totally healed from handling wood and steel.

Use glycerin sparingly....It is clear and a tad heavier like a baby oil but works great..

Here is another one you may prefer.

Mod cut: copyright violation...

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-23-2009 at 06:13 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I like Alpha Keri, but it is pricey. I get this way in the winter. I made some oil with Almond oil from Whole foods and added Lavendar essential oil to it. Put it in a spray bottle and spray while still in the shower.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
I love love love virgin coconut oil for my skin. It is truly nature's best moisturizer. You can find it in any health food stores. It smells really good too.
Here is a link about coconut oil and skin benefits.

100% Pure Coconut oil is the best treatment to heal, protect and beautify your skin and hair

I always get compliments on how good my skin looks, because I put coconut oil on my legs, my shoulders, my hands. At night, I put it on my face as well. It makes it feel soft and look almost silky.

The only warning I have is that some (although few) people are allergic to it. So I suggest to try a little bit first, to see how your skin reacts to it. If you are not allergic, you will be very happy with the results.

PS: I don't like putting things on my skin that I cannot eat, I prefer not to use any kind of lotions or over the counter moisturizers. As the say: if I have the fillet mignon, why settle for hamburger? Some companies use coconut oil in their lotions but add other things to it, so I chose to just use coconut oil straight up and haven't been happier. :-)

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
I use 100% virgin, cold-pressed organic coconut oil on my face. It has a nice, healthy glow to it.

I spritz baby oil on my wet skin after showering. I dry off and then follow that with Cantu shea butter and olive oil on my skin. I also use a little Jergens behind that on my elbows, knees, hands, and feet.

I highly recommend the coconut oil and Cantu.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:56 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
An inexpensive and very effective way to treat dry skin (especially in the winter - someone suggested coconut oil which is wonderful but coconut is cooling and, imo, best for use in the warmer months):
Go to the market (you may have to go to a health food store) and find a bottle of organic sesame seed oil .... not toasted or roasted.
The oil will cost around $8-$9 but will last you a couple of weeks at least depending on how much you use each day.
This is a daily treatment.
Before a hot shower, massage the oil into your skin and then shower ... but no scrubbing the body with anything.
The steam and heat will allow the oil to penetrate into your skin.
When you're done showering, "dab" your skin dry with a soft towel.
This is an Ayruvedic treatment with many healing properties appropriate for anyone and, for your purposes, it will leave your skin happy and soft and healthy.

And this is an excellent oil that i've been using for years.
But it's pricey so i use it sparingly and sometimes just use a very small amount after i dry off from the sesame oil shower.
Amazon.com: Better Botanicals Ayurvedic Body Oil, 4-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2): Health & Personal Care

Old 12-23-2009, 11:07 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I love love love virgin coconut oil for my skin. It is truly nature's best moisturizer. You can find it in any health food stores. It smells really good too.
Here is a link about coconut oil and skin benefits.

100% Pure Coconut oil is the best treatment to heal, protect and beautify your skin and hair

I always get compliments on how good my skin looks, because I put coconut oil on my legs, my shoulders, my hands. At night, I put it on my face as well. It makes it feel soft and look almost silky.

The only warning I have is that some (although few) people are allergic to it. So I suggest to try a little bit first, to see how your skin reacts to it. If you are not allergic, you will be very happy with the results.

PS: I don't like putting things on my skin that I cannot eat, I prefer not to use any kind of lotions or over the counter moisturizers. As the say: if I have the fillet mignon, why settle for hamburger? Some companies use coconut oil in their lotions but add other things to it, so I chose to just use coconut oil straight up and haven't been happier. :-)

Max Mama

Is this a heavy oil?? Sounds good & I would like to try it but don't like anything heavy

Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
virgin coconut oil
Below 76°F coconut oil is solid. Scrape with fingernail . . or microwave to liquefy. One consumption option is to blend with sugar-free pudding. For a small trial amount, look among the nutritional supplements at Walmart. Online vendor.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Years ago read about the Hunza people using apricot kernal oil to keep their skin so young looking.

It's fairly inexpensive, about $6 for a smaller bottle .. 4 - 6 oz maybe. Pure apricot oil is better than a combo of that and vit E .. find the latter too greasy. Also if you find the apricot oil too oily, rubbing a small amount of lotion helps it to absorb better.

The only thing is, not much of a fragrance. If there is a strong smell to it, then it's gone rancid.

Here's a little info on the longevity and youthful appearances of the Hunza people.

Hunza Valley - The Secret of the Himalayan Goji Berry - Apricot Kernel Oil (http://www.thesecretofthehimalayan.com/the-mystical-hunza-valley - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness