Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:06 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,433,380 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I gave up drinking soda/iced tea. I've started drinking juices --- 100% juices, NOT the ones with added sugar, high fructose corn syrup or anything else. Just fruit and filtered water.

My doctor says they're no good because they have sugar. I said it's natural fruit sugar and he says it's still sugar. I said well, then why is it ok to EAT fruit but not DRINK fruit??? He didn't answer and just said I can drink water or tea (sure, lots of caffiene!)

What is the deal with this???? I know that processed sugar from sugar CANE isn't good and that brown sugar or "raw" sugar is best, but I'm talking about the sugar from fruit. Why is that no good, but regular fruit is good????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,695,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Okay, so I gave up drinking soda/iced tea. I've started drinking juices --- 100% juices, NOT the ones with added sugar, high fructose corn syrup or anything else. Just fruit and filtered water.

My doctor says they're no good because they have sugar. I said it's natural fruit sugar and he says it's still sugar. I said well, then why is it ok to EAT fruit but not DRINK fruit??? He didn't answer and just said I can drink water or tea (sure, lots of caffiene!)

What is the deal with this???? I know that processed sugar from sugar CANE isn't good and that brown sugar or "raw" sugar is best, but I'm talking about the sugar from fruit. Why is that no good, but regular fruit is good????
It's o.k. ... but in moderation.
If you're drinking tons of it for a sugar hit because you're missing soda and other sweet drinks, that's not so good.
And the best way to get fruit is by eating fruit or juicing your own (fresh and "alive" and hasn't been sitting in a bottle for a long time) and if you can afford organic fruit, then that's optimum.
So, though your doctor isn't exactly correct about all sugar being equal, i actually agree that for hydration and purification, water is best.
Herbal teas are great too and i actually drink quite a bit of green tea as i just love it and it has a number of very beneficial properties.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:36 PM

I just like drinking juice because I HATE water. I don't drink that much, actually. Usually 1 bottle of Welch's Concord Grape juice in the morning, then probably some apple juice or something in the afternoon, and more in the evening/with dinner.

I'll sometimes juice carrots/sweet potatoes or sometimes fruit.

I don't care for herbal teas or tea in general, but will drink regular tea once in a blue moon.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,335,526 times
Quote:

If you don't like water, the best thing you can do is juice your fruit with low-glycemic fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, etc...

When you buy a fruit juice, even if it's organic, without high fructose syrup, it's filled with sugar and it has been pasteurized with all the enzymes pretty much destroyed. Your doctor is right, it's really just pure sugar, then they add fillers to it, really it's only about 20% of it is a fruit, the rest just water. Sugar is sugar no matter how you put it.

When you eat fruit, you get live enzymes, fiber and all other nutrients that come with it. You don't get that in a store-bought juice. A lot of vitamins are killed with pasteurization and some brands even ADD synthetic vitamin C to it.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
The doctor must be wanting you off a high sugar diet for a reason.

Just be forewarned. When I gave up soda and replaced it with juice, I gained a lot of weight! Remember juice glasses? How little they were? They're that little because that's what a juice serving size should be---and only once or twice a day. If you're using juice as your main sourse of water, you're going gain weight and you will be taking in to much sugar---way more sugar than you would if you ate fruit.

You'd be amazed at how your taste buds can adjust if you just give it a try. You say you don't like water. Have you tried it super chilled with lots of ice cubes? Have you tried squeezing fresh lemons in it? Limes? Oranges? It really tastes good that way! Try watering down your juice or adding a little juice to water. Just do whatever you can to make WATER your main source of hydration.

Dietary changes are hard. When I changed to more healthy whole foods, things tasted bland to me. After a few weeks, salads (without dressing) started to taste flavorful. Just hang in there. You can do it!

Old 12-23-2009, 07:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
Quote:
I just like drinking juice because I HATE water. I don't drink that much, actually. Usually 1 bottle of Welch's Concord Grape juice in the morning, then probably some apple juice or something in the afternoon, and more in the evening/with dinner.
Have you read the calories on those bottles? Fruit juice has more calories than soda. I swear. It's true.

Also, you really need more hydration throughout the day than you're getting.

It's time to make water part of your life!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,695,294 times
Quote:

I'll sometimes juice carrots/sweet potatoes or sometimes fruit.

I don't care for herbal teas or tea in general, but will drink regular tea once in a blue moon.

Thanks
Perhaps you hate water because you're wanting something from it other than hydration.
You don't drink water to satisfy your mouth (and your cravings and wants and desires and your emotional needs, etc) but to support your body.
Your body needs water ... and quite a bit of it actually.
Nothing ... not even herbal tea ... has the beneficial qualities of water.
So, i'd get over your attitude about water and make sure you get enough of it every day if you care about your physical health.
If you don't care about your health then keep on doing what you're doing.
And if your tap water isn't good (chances are it's not and maybe that's one of the reasons you hate it) then find a good water filtration system and install it and hydrate yourself.
You can get a 64 ounce plastic jug (the kind of plastic that doesn't off-gas), fill it up in the morning and drink it throughout the day.
Once you get in the habit of drinking water, going without enough of it will bother you.
If you need your sugar and can't get off of it then at least drink the water your body requires and get your sugar hits from other sources.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 AM

369 posts, read 939,694 times
if you're going to drink fruit juice, limit it to 4 ounces a day.

here's a good alternative to soda,

12oz. Seltzer water, squeeze 1 lemon and 1 lime, 1 stevia packet..add some ice

Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,863,190 times
You should try to drink some water during the day (at least 2 large glasses of it). It lessens your cravings for sugary fruit juices and suppresses your appetite better.

I drink water all day (I hardly ever drink soda or anything with caffeine anymore. And I only drink fruit juice in the morning).

Old 12-24-2009, 06:32 AM

About the water..... does ice count?? I chew ice constantly. I'm anemic and I CRAVE ice. I suck/chew at least 10 trays of ice/day plus when I buy a large cup of ice from the restaurant near my job. Would that count as "water"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness