Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

I been drinking a lot of water lately. I mean a lot.
I take medicines that state drink plenty of fluids
even my doctor said after my blood work lab results
I need to drink plenty of water. because my
BUN and Creatinine have been wacky.
I do not want nothing to go wrong with my kidneys
or liver so I have no problem with drinking lots of
water plus I heard it good for anti aging.
I drank 2 cases of bottled water last week
16 oz bottle x 48 = 768 oz

This site here says 8oz a day
Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com
thats 384 oz

Again kidney and liver failure are my biggest fear if I dont get enough.
I constantly have this dry mouth feeling too.

Share your input thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,372 times
It is possible to drink too much water

Water Intoxication & Hyponatremia

are you diabetic?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
If you're drinking too much water, you'll know.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
It is possible to drink too much water

are you diabetic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If you're drinking too much water, you'll know.

thanks I found my answer in above articles
I need to Switch to Gatorade to be on
the safe side

Quote:
The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
I love city-data Its like Google Live

Old 03-07-2010, 02:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
thanks I found my answer in above articles
I need to Switch to Gatorade to be on
the safe side

I love city-data Its like Google Live
As an athlete, Gatorade is crap, and most professional athletes don't drink it regardless if they have the Gatorade sticker on the side. They don't drink it because of the ingredients.

As far as how much water to drink, look at your urine, if it's a light yellow or even clear you are ok. If your urine is very dark yellow it means your not drinking enough water. BTW, nothing man made is better then water for staying hydrated but if you are that worried you can try Pedialyte. Yes, adults can drink Pedialyte.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
As an athlete, Gatorade is crap, and most professional athletes don't drink it regardless if they have the Gatorade sticker on the side. They don't drink it because of the ingredients.

As far as how much water to drink, look at your urine, if it's a light yellow or even clear you are ok. If your urine is very dark yellow it means your not drinking enough water. BTW, nothing man made is better then water for staying hydrated but if you are that worried you can try Pedialyte. Yes, adults can drink Pedialyte.
The reason I chose Gatorade is because I heard it nurishes you with Electrolytes
Quote:
From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.
My body telling me something with this constant dry mouth

Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The reason I chose Gatorade is because I heard it nurishes you with Electrolytes

My body telling me something with this constant dry mouth
Trust me, just research it a little more, it's old 80's technology that was developed at univ of Florida (or Florida state, one of them).

Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
Gatorade is full of sugar. Believe me you do not need electrolyte replacement unless you have done some SERIOUS SERIOUS sweating. I am on a search and rescue team and for a full summer day in the woods in South Carolina we carry nuts and fruit [some like bananas, I like dried apricots] that has potassium and NO ELECTROLYTE fluids-but a lot of water which we drink constantly. If someone has heat exhaustion [not stroke] then while they are sitting and being cooled, electrolytes could be a good thing................but the goal is to prevent that. Gone are the days of salt pills .......

Approx 100 ounces a day of water is not way overkill unless you are also drinking lots of other stuff. I would not waste my money on bottled water and all those plasticizers though. Please tell me you don't freeze the bottles. Just consider tap water, some BPA free bottles and something like a Brita filter. Bottled water is usually pretty much fancy tap water without the same level of regulation required for municipal water and distilled water is not good to drink.

Sometimes the more water you drink the thirstier you get and I don't know why. Make really sure you are not diabetic.

Given the health concerns what does you doctor have to say?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Gatorade is full of sugar. Believe me you do not need electrolyte replacement unless you have done some SERIOUS SERIOUS sweating. I am on a search and rescue team and for a full summer day in the woods in South Carolina we carry nuts and fruit [some like bananas, I like dried apricots] that has potassium and NO ELECTROLYTE fluids-but a lot of water which we drink constantly. If someone has heat exhaustion [not stroke] then while they are sitting and being cooled, electrolytes could be a good thing................but the goal is to prevent that. Gone are the days of salt pills .......

Approx 100 ounces a day of water is not way overkill unless you are also drinking lots of other stuff. I would not waste my money on bottled water and all those plasticizers though. Please tell me you don't freeze the bottles. Just consider tap water, some BPA free bottles and something like a Brita filter. Bottled water is usually pretty much fancy tap water without the same level of regulation required for municipal water and distilled water is not good to drink.

Sometimes the more water you drink the thirstier you get and I don't know why. Make really sure you are not diabetic.

Given the health concerns what does you doctor have to say?
I drink bottle water because I seem to drink more water as the doc asks plus it easier at the end of the day to see how much
I drink because I can count the bottle caps. Plus I dont have a water filter and its city water, but I do recycle .

I dont know Ill see him later this month
Do you think 768 oz is to much?
I dont do nothing vigorous during the day and Im so paranoid by
something happening to my liver & kidneys I dont drink nothing
but water
My glucose and sodium have been normal for the pass 4 visits

Glucose
6-4-09 77
6-10-09 94
9-2-09 85
12-3-09 83

sodium

6-4-09 135
6-10-09 138
9-2-09 136
12-3-09 136

creatinine

6-4-09 0.71
6-10-09 0.73
9-2-09 0.92
12-3-09 0.86

BUN
6-4-09 10
6-10-09 12
9-2-09 11
12-3-09 12

IF you guys know a good website to read lab results please share
thanks

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-08-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
How to Read and Understand Medical Laboratory Results - wikiHow

Coconut milk is a natural electrolyte replacement.

Get yourself a water pitcher. All fluids that are not diuretics count towards hydration. An easy way to make sure you have enough is just chug a 16oz glass of water before meals. You will eat less, it will help digestion, & may stave off heartburn.

Water calc:
Untitled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness