Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:34 PM

93 posts, read 229,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Are you sure you have IBS? My Uncle thought he did, found out it was a vitamin K defficiency.
Sadly, I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:04 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
I've had IBS for many years and had tried eliminating different foods but it didn't work. I finally had a colonoscopy and dr. said I was fine. WHen I get bad pains I pop immodium as well and it greatly helps. I have found that the only thing that helps is eating small meals, minimal fried foods, and not eating fast or sometimes too close to bedtime. After I lost some weight it also helped.

I know that if I pig out I'm definitely going to be having pains.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 PM

93 posts, read 229,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I've had IBS for many years and had tried eliminating different foods but it didn't work. I finally had a colonoscopy and dr. said I was fine. WHen I get bad pains I pop immodium as well and it greatly helps. I have found that the only thing that helps is eating small meals, minimal fried foods, and not eating fast or sometimes too close to bedtime. After I lost some weight it also helped.

I know that if I pig out I'm definitely going to be having pains.
After a severe case of diverticulitis, my doctor really wanted me to get a colonoscopy, due to thickening of the colon. This was several years ago. I have yet to get it, as I just don't want to go through it. Stupid I know.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
After a severe case of diverticulitis, my doctor really wanted me to get a colonoscopy, due to thickening of the colon. This was several years ago. I have yet to get it, as I just don't want to go through it. Stupid I know.
The procedure is painless because you are asleep. Its the disgusting drink you have to ingest the night before that is the worst. It tastes like salt water, but it's important to find out if anything is wrong. I think that after knowing everything was fine down there it made me less stressed and I've had less problems.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
I control my IBS by:

- eating less total food in a given day or week
- eating less food in one sitting
- eating less fat, grease, and dairy
- eating less insoluble fiber, whole wheats, and generally undigestable material
- eating/drinking fewer stimulants that induce gastric motility, like caffiene, peppers/onions and fake sweeteners (which are in everything).
- eating fewer foods that are heavily acidic. Cooked tomatoes/tomato sauce is something I eat sparingly now, I use sun dried tomatoes now instead.

I replace this by
-eating foods high in dietary fiber. Try Planter's Nut-rition, Digestive health mix, white rice, bread, or pasta - in small/moderate amounts.
-eating foods to benefit your gut flora (the balance of your good vs. bad intestinal bacterias). Yogurt definitely helps, and Kefir is good in small quantities.
-skipping meals when I am not hungry
-eating like the stereotypical "Frenchman" - constantly picking at small portions of high-flavor, calorically dense foods, as opposed to starving yourself and then stuffing yourself like many Americans.

It sucks having to plan your social life around your dietary habits, but you do what you have to do. As far as immodium goes, I personally don't think it is suitable or wise to use it chronically. I use it maybe once a month, twice a month.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Bentyl works great.
Very good gastro DR, says that Bentyl is very bad for the enamel on your teeth .My wife and daughter took this med for years before they found out that they were hurting their teeth .They wanted me to let you know this when I read them yor post . Please check this out with your dentist .

Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,642 times
I know this is a few months old but still pertinent. It might be work getting checked out to see if you have a wheat (gluten) intolerance. It's called celiac disease. I've heard of a lot of people have suffered from IBS for years until the found out they actually had this. Strangely it's usually not tested for. There is a higher prevalence for people with Northern European heritage with this disease. Just be aware that it might not be Celiac causing the proglem, but it's good to rule it out.

Celiac Disease Foundation

Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
You really need a colonoscopy. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. This means other entiites must be ruled out first. This includes:
1. IBD - Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease)
2. Microscopic Colitis - includes lymphocytic and collagenous colitis. Often, the bowel appears normal on inspection but biopsies reveal deeper inflammatory changes.
3. Lactose Intolerance
4. Celiac Disease
5. Malignancies

There many other possible causes of chronic diarrhea, some are pretty rare. I would definitely suggest starting with a colonoscopy, routine blood work (CBC, sedimentation rate). If it is normal, possibly a celiac panel and a test for lactose intolerance (can be as simple as a breath test).

Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I control my IBS by:

- eating less total food in a given day or week
- eating less food in one sitting
- eating less fat, grease, and dairy
- eating less insoluble fiber, whole wheats, and generally undigestable material
- eating/drinking fewer stimulants that induce gastric motility, like caffiene, peppers/onions and fake sweeteners (which are in everything).
- eating fewer foods that are heavily acidic. Cooked tomatoes/tomato sauce is something I eat sparingly now, I use sun dried tomatoes now instead.

I replace this by
-eating foods high in dietary fiber. Try Planter's Nut-rition, Digestive health mix, white rice, bread, or pasta - in small/moderate amounts.
-eating foods to benefit your gut flora (the balance of your good vs. bad intestinal bacterias). Yogurt definitely helps, and Kefir is good in small quantities.
-skipping meals when I am not hungry
-eating like the stereotypical "Frenchman" - constantly picking at small portions of high-flavor, calorically dense foods, as opposed to starving yourself and then stuffing yourself like many Americans.

It sucks having to plan your social life around your dietary habits, but you do what you have to do. As far as immodium goes, I personally don't think it is suitable or wise to use it chronically. I use it maybe once a month, twice a month.
You sound a lot like me. I used to eat big meals and would occasioanally get diarrhea with bile acid soon after. I always used to just deal with it and think the big meal was worth it, that is, until I got a thrombosed hemorrhoid.

Now I'm careful to eat smaller meals, and nothing too greasy. I may eat half of my dinner, and then eat the other half a couple of hours later. I also avoid drinking very much with my meals, especially soda. Fruit is also tricky, I ate some watermelon last week and ended up with diarrhea the next morning, so no more watermelon for me.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 20,844 times
Default Help with the colonoscopy prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
The procedure is painless because you are asleep. Its the disgusting drink you have to ingest the night before that is the worst. It tastes like salt water, but it's important to find out if anything is wrong. I think that after knowing everything was fine down there it made me less stressed and I've had less problems.

Hi Raven,
I have had 3 colonoscopy's for IBS etc. Its the prep that is super terrible to drink. The colonoscopy is nothing--they put you to sleep. My GI doc told me to do this:

Mix the liquid with white grape juice. It is rather sweet and good, not at all bad to drink. Make sure its very cold too. The stuff works the same, and this makes the prep more tolerable. You could also use coconut water, but I don't care for the taste of that. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness